Smh Minkah Not A "top 10 Defensive Rookie" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smh Minkah Not A "top 10 Defensive Rookie"

I'll be very surprised if Derwyn James has a better rookie season than Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'll be absolutely shocked if James has a better career. I'm extremely convinced that we made the best possible pick we could have made with Minkah Fitzpatrick. The media simply doesn't watch Dolphins games unless they are accidently in the same game as a team they do watch, like the Patriots or any team in NY or LA. So yeah, we beat the Tennessee (small market) Titans and the glamourous NEW YORK jets with their new Joe Wooly Namath hope--Sam Darnold. Their takeaway from us soundly beating the jets in NEW YORK … Darnold is great! Yeah, they know nada.

So, whether he gets the early recognition or not, every player who plays against him will know, and his reputation will grow larger than James or probably anyone on that list honestly.

You how fickle BS rankings like this are? If Minkah hadn't dropped that late game pick 6 against Tennessee and had that one single splash play on his resume --- they'd have him listed in the top 10. Probably even top 3.

That said, it doesn't really matter as long as he continues to play as he has. The Dolphins are winners.

Huh? What bullrush? All I saw was a tackle that turned inside and completely let #33 run pass him.

It was intended as a bull rush until the tackle overreacted. Meanwhile if you are discounting everything that James showed on that play then you are adjusting to the max. If any Dolphin defender pulled off that play it would be legendary around here for a decade

You how fickle BS rankings like this are? If Minkah hadn't dropped that late game pick 6 against Tennessee and had that one single splash play on his resume --- they'd have him listed in the top 10. Probably even top 3.

That said, it doesn't really matter as long as he continues to play as he has. The Dolphins are winners.

And if Fitzpatrick had been properly called for pass interference in the end zone last week it could have changed the complexion of that game and we'd have different summaries of how he's fared so far

It was intended as a bull rush until the tackle overreacted. Meanwhile if you are discounting everything that James showed on that play then you are adjusting to the max. If any Dolphin defender pulled off that play it would be legendary around here for a decade

Talk about "adjusting". It was a good play...helped because the OT looked inside for a stunt and completely lost James, never attempted to block him. About as far from a bull rush as possible while still being on a football field. James showed good athleticism and closing speed. If that was a Dolphin...Id pump my fist and yell Nice!

A free rush towards the passer is legendary?

And if Fitzpatrick had been properly called for pass interference in the end zone last week it could have changed the complexion of that game and we'd have different summaries of how he's fared so far

True, but I didn't think it was PI. Not the way I've seen PI called this season, anyway.

Not railing on you, but the 4th down stop at the goal line vs Titans was a wow play to me. Superb play diagnosis, quicks to get in position and sure tackling to bring the receiver down short of the goal line. In those circumstances, it was as big of a play as a pick.

great play diagnosis, which weve seen him awesome at, but considering some of these guys don't even watch everything it just shows up in the stats column as a tackle. the same thing as if Kwon was to allow a catch and then fell on the guy 20 yards down field. we all know (hope) hes going to be great. solidifying a defense that has sucked in the past is not going to get you DROY. I'd say a strictly edge rusher who sucks in rush containment that gets you 10 sacks, but allows a boatload of runs underneath (think our D in past) is not more valuable that completely shoring up a secondary, but those 10 sacks look a hell of a lot better on paper for the media then us saying "hell yeah 3 and out again, where the f--- has this been!" It'd be nice if he could stuff the stat sheet time and time again and im sure some games he will, but if he keeps doing what he's doing then im good with that,

I know its VERY early into his career, but if he ever needed a splash game it would be THIS week tho, with some of the national media even posting about the entire FitzMagic ordeal I have a feeling that a few eyes that have not been paying him or the fins any attention are going to be watching, and the nature of the beast says that IMHO more are going to be hoping to see him slip up than be successful. just keep winning, show we are not pretenders, let a couple of these other teams fade out, and then he'll start getting notice, but his play right now is great for us, but not worth mentioning in DROY outside of Miami

The national media pays no attention to anyone unless they are on a highlight reel notching TD's, sacks or interceptions. They don't watch every play (with the exception of a few good ones). He won't start getting talked about until he starts coming down with some of those int's.

great play diagnosis, which weve seen him awesome at, but considering some of these guys don't even watch everything it just shows up in the stats column as a tackle. the same thing as if Kwon was to allow a catch and then fell on the guy 20 yards down field. we all know (hope) hes going to be great. solidifying a defense that has sucked in the past is not going to get you DROY. I'd say a strictly edge rusher who sucks in rush containment that gets you 10 sacks, but allows a boatload of runs underneath (think our D in past) is not more valuable that completely shoring up a secondary, but those 10 sacks look a hell of a lot better on paper for the media then us saying "hell yeah 3 and out again, where the f--- has this been!" It'd be nice if he could stuff the stat sheet time and time again and im sure some games he will, but if he keeps doing what he's doing then im good with that,

I know its VERY early into his career, but if he ever needed a splash game it would be THIS week tho, with some of the national media even posting about the entire FitzMagic ordeal I have a feeling that a few eyes that have not been paying him or the fins any attention are going to be watching, and the nature of the beast says that IMHO more are going to be hoping to see him slip up than be successful. just keep winning, show we are not pretenders, let a couple of these other teams fade out, and then he'll start getting notice, but his play right now is great for us, but not worth mentioning in DROY outside of Miami

You're absolutely correct from a media/casual fan perspective. Sacks and INTs jump out. And they are important, no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom