Smiley could be kept if Dolphins can't find a trade partner | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smiley could be kept if Dolphins can't find a trade partner

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
Guard Justin Smiley, told by Miami not to report for offseason work, conveyed to the Dolphins he would love if they changed their mind and kept him. One Dolphin player said teammates won't be surprised if he's kept; Drew Rosenhaus (not Smiley's agent) said on WSVN-Fox 7 that Smiley likely will return because Miami hasn't found a good trade. But Miami is still trying to trade him.

Seattle was the likely suitor for Smiley, but with the recent signing of Ben Hamilton I think there is a good chance we keep Justin. I have met Smiley and he is one of the nicest guys ever, I hope he sticks around.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is true, then this is another head scratching move made by our front office.

I mean, they could have EASILY treated the Smiley situation the way they are with Ronnie or Ted Ginn... to openly tell the guy "Don't come around here, you are not wanted..." is stupid. It hurt his trade value and now it could hurt his relationship with the team.

They've handled a few situations less than perfectly the last couple seasons... just add this one to the list.

If that is true, then this is another head scratching move made by our front office.

I mean, they could have EASILY treated the Smiley situation the way they are with Ronnie or Ted Ginn... to openly tell the guy "Don't come around here, you are not wanted..." is stupid. It hurt his trade value and now it could hurt his relationship with the team.

They've handled a few situations less than perfectly the last couple seasons... just add this one to the list.

True, but i hope they keep him anyway...............

Smiley is huge for our line when he's healthy. If we lose Ronnie this year, our run game is going to need all the veteran help it can get.

After this off season I do not believe a word that comes out of that front office or locker room until the contracts are signed and the roster is set at 53.

I do not see us getting anything great for Smiley. I just hope he is not to upset with us doing this. I think it is kinda weird we did not let him work out.

ummmmmmmm He has a history of getting hurt. They didn't want him at the practice facility to decrease his chances of getting hurt again. Makes perfect sense to me.

Well at LEAST they are not dumb enough to cut him...I hope. He still is a quality player and is less injury prone than Jake Grove.

Silly that this whole time he has not been working out with the team though. One way to have an injury prone player stay injury prone is to mess with his fitness routine.

If he wants to come back with no ill-will towards the franchise, then I'd welcome him back. For once, the OL is a strength, not a weakness. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom