Smith versus Waddle | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith versus Waddle

Love to hear Pach's opinion on this one. Believe he has Waddle higher but it's got to be pretty close.

Pretty sure he said they're both Top 10 talents in this class.

If Miami gets any of Chase, Smith, or Waddle, I'd be happy. They all have excellent ball skills, can separate at all levels, and they're all dangerous with the ball in their hands. Smith separates the best, but Chase and Waddle are more dynamic with the ball, and Waddle has scary deep speed - not to mention his return ability. Smith is my favorite for Miami, but I don't think there's a wrong answer.

If Miami could get 2 of the 3, that'd be ideal, but 1 of the 3 and then 1 of Bateman, Marshall, Moore, Olave, Wallace (feel like I'm forgetting a couple), would do fine for me.

Pairings I'd like:

Smith and Marshall
Chase and Olave
Waddle and Bateman

If Miami gets any of Chase, Smith, or Waddle, I'd be happy. They all have excellent ball skills, can separate at all levels, and they're all dangerous with the ball in their hands. Smith separates the best, but Chase and Waddle are more dynamic with the ball, and Waddle has scary deep speed - not to mention his return ability. Smith is my favorite for Miami, but I don't think there's a wrong answer.

If Miami could get 2 of the 3, that'd be ideal, but 1 of the 3 and then 1 of Bateman, Marshall, Moore, Olave, Wallace (feel like I'm forgetting a couple), would do fine for me.

Pairings I'd like:

Smith and Marshall
Chase and Olave
Waddle and Bateman
Those pairings are awfully exciting aren't they? I'd go receiver early and maybe 2a or 2b.

In between, I really like Bolton at 1b.

Pairings I'd like:

Smith and Marshall
Chase and Olave
Waddle and Bateman

You could probably throw Pitts into that equation too.

This may be an odd answer, but because I am so high on USC's St. Brown (and I think he'll fall into the 2nd)

I'm a big fan of St. Brown as well. That would be a nice combination.

Living in CA, Amon-Ra St. Brown is a player I had the privilege to watch many times in HS. He was an unguardable freak.

But I haven’t been able to follow him much since he arrived at USC — given USC and the PAC12 have been largely irrelevant on the Nat’l scene.

That said, I’m not all that surprised he’s on the radar for some fans. He’s a phenomenal talent IMO.

With Houston winning a couple of games recently, Miami is currently projected to pick 11th and 22nd in the first round.

I believe Chase will be the first receiver off the board prior to pick 11. The Dolphins may have a choice between Smith or Waddle, but I don't think either makes it to pick 22.

Anyway, who would you prefer? Waddle is so electric, the stretch the field type that Miami is missing. He is coming off an ankle injury.

Smith may be the best route runner in the draft, catches everything, and is plenty fast. At 175 pounds, his slight frame may concern some teams.

As a bonus, both played with Tua at Alabama.

A year ago, my order of preference of the top WR’s from this upcoming class was: 1-Chase, 2-Smith, 3-Waddle.

But, now, I’m quite torn. I think my order at the moment would be: 1-Smith, 2a-Chase, 2b-Waddle.

Living in CA, Amon-Ra St. Brown is a player I had the privilege to watch many times in HS. He was an unguardable freak.

But I haven’t been able to follow him much since he arrived at USC — given USC and the PAC12 have been largely irrelevant on the Nat’l scene.

That said, I’m not all that surprised he’s on the radar for some fans. He’s a phenomenal talent IMO.
Many times, I think you get value in these players for just exactly this reason. They fall off of the national radar because their teams aren't that good. The two best WRs that I ever saw played for Mississippi Valley St. and Marshall, and I never saw either of them play even one game of college ball.

Many times, I think you get value in these players for just exactly this reason. They fall off of the national radar because their teams aren't that good. The two best WRs that I ever saw played for Mississippi Valley St. and Marshall, and I never saw either of them play even one game of college ball.

Well, to be fair, Moss was well known and highly recruited. Started out at Notre Dame and Florida State but ended up at Marshall due behavioral and marijuana issues. Even at Marshall everyone knew who he was and how he was doing.

Rice was a bit different story. Totally under the radar, especially back during the 80’s when it was far more common for the smaller school guys to get overlooked.

Well, to be fair, Moss was well known and highly recruited. Started out at Notre Dame and Florida State but ended up at Marshall due behavioral and marijuana issues. Even at Marshall everyone knew who he was and how he was doing.

Rice was a bit different story. Totally under the radar, especially back during the 80’s when it was far more common for the smaller school guys to get overlooked.
I could list dozens more... but you get the point.

There is a snobbishness that has taken over in some of the evaluator's minds. They've gotten overly stuck upon the guys from certain programs... and have forgotten that a lot of those guys have had it remarkably easy. Never really facing the sort of adversity with which so many men have to deal.

There is a laziness there as well... These 'men' simper to themselves and prattle on about who was a 5 star recruit, and forget about growth... intelligence... and strength of desire/character.

Zach Thomas. Can you imagine a short, physically limited guy like this getting a sniff from today's primadonna factories? Hell... any idiot can scout Alabama (and most do), I think the scouts worth their pay look elsewhere.

Last edited:

I don't think Rice was under the radar either. He was the #1 pick in the USFL draft a few months earlier by Birmingham. The threat of him signing there helped him drop. Same with Marino two years earlier when the LA Express drafted him #1. These were real threats to the NFL. Many star talents spurned the NFL for the USFL at that time. The NFL never acknowledges these things when talking about "draft day drops" etc. because they refuse at all opportunities to acknowledge the USFL even existed.

Jaylen Waddle was headed for 1000 yards receiving on just 44 receptions, which is absurd.

Only played in 4 games this season and hasn't caught a pass since October 17th and is still top 43 in the country, and #9 in the SEC in receiving yardage.

There ain't many that can out shine Smitty - but Waddle could do it.

I can't say enough good things about either one. I don't think I could choose one over the other. As I've said all along they're both top 10 players in the draft to me.

A year ago, my order of preference of the top WR’s from this upcoming class was: 1-Chase, 2-Smith, 3-Waddle.

But, now, I’m quite torn. I think my order at the moment would be: 1-Smith, 2a-Chase, 2b-Waddle.
I still have Chase as my top wide receiver, but it's close. Smith is so smooth and Waddle has that elite speed. I'd be thrilled with any of those, but I think Smith might be the best fit for a quarterback with Tua's skills.

You could probably throw Pitts into that equation too.
Does he remind anyone of Sharp, the great Denver tight end? That is a talent. Could be New England's target, although they need a quarterback.

If i was a scout/talent evaluator one of my strategies would be to look hard to WR's who play at schools with poor QB play.

You would have to look a lot harder but if you caught a glimpse of NFL traits that were not being seen due to a bad QB you could find some real gems.

Recently Minn found Stefon Diggs at Maryland who had an awful QB but they saw enough in him to take him anyway.

Calvin Johnson was so good he could not hide at GA Tech with a truly awful passer wasting his talent.

Back
Top Bottom