Smith versus Waddle | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smith versus Waddle

Are you crazy?

Dak has won, what.... 1 playoff game? And he will command $30m a year in a time when the cap will be lowered to the point of squeezing all teams?

You picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
I am thinking he wants 40 mil

Call me crazy but i would draft BOTH with my first two picks. I would do my best to trade that #3 pick and be in position to draft Smith within top 6-7. Then i would use that #18 pick and take Waddle(assuming he's there of course)...

The theory is and looking around the NFL, if you want a decent chance at winning anything of significance then you have to be EXPLOSIVE offensively. If you go from what we had to adding a talent like Smith to complement the other boundary side say next to Parker and then you can add Waddle in the slot along with Gesicki and a dynamic back like Trey Sermon. Then imo, assuming the line can hold, your offense has just gotten not a little, but A LOT more explosive. Not to mention Waddle's ST threat.

IMO, this is how the Dolphins should be thinking during the draft..let's not kinda get more explosive during the offseason let's go crazy with it.

I'm pretty sure they won't do that. But i really wish they would! That type of line-up on paper creates mismatch problems for teams on defense.

Last edited:
IMO, this is how the Dolphins should be thinking during the draft..let's not kinda get more explosive during the offseason let's go crazy with it.

I'm pretty sure they won't do that. But i really wish they would! That type of line-up on paper creates mismatch problems for teams on defense.
I don't mind that. These days when I have wagers on games two things really stand out:

* It is remarkable how many defensive backs can't catch anything
* So many games are decided by whether or not wide receivers can dependably catch the contested balls

That competitiveness aspect is so vital at wide receiver. Jefferson clearly had it this year. I was a bit disappointed in Jeudy because he seemed to want to glide but not as good as I expected at pluck. But that was early season. Maybe he improved later.

Entering 2020 my pecking order was Chase, Waddle, Smith. I concede I did not follow college football closely at all. Most weeks I watched the Miami and USC games only. I did see Waddle get hurt early season on the kick return. I'm surprised Smith is now rated above Chase because months ago that seemed silly.

More than anything that go up and get the ball aspect needs to be the priority. Some NFL receivers create more separation than others. None of them create a tremendous amount. It all comes down to instincts toward boxing out, body position, hand position, timing your jump, and making the catch the utmost priority.

So often you see a speed guy enter the league early like Ross from Washington and then it's immediately obvious he won't be much of anything because he needs it all his own way. I've already seem rumblings about that about Ruggs on Raiders forums. I went there mostly to see what they were saying about blowing the Dolphins game. Instead I saw many posts and threads already discouraged with Ruggs. I remember Slimm rating him distinctly below the other Alabama wide receivers.

I don't mind that. These days when I have wagers on games two things really stand out:

* It is remarkable how many defensive backs can't catch anything
* So many games are decided by whether or not wide receivers can dependably catch the contested balls

That competitiveness aspect is so vital at wide receiver. Jefferson clearly had it this year. I was a bit disappointed in Jeudy because he seemed to want to glide but not as good as I expected at pluck. But that was early season. Maybe he improved later.

Entering 2020 my pecking order was Chase, Waddle, Smith. I concede I did not follow college football closely at all. Most weeks I watched the Miami and USC games only. I did see Waddle get hurt early season on the kick return. I'm surprised Smith is now rated above Chase because months ago that seemed silly.

More than anything that go up and get the ball aspect needs to be the priority. Some NFL receivers create more separation than others. None of them create a tremendous amount. It all comes down to instincts toward boxing out, body position, hand position, timing your jump, and making the catch the utmost priority.

So often you see a speed guy enter the league early like Ross from Washington and then it's immediately obvious he won't be much of anything because he needs it all his own way. I've already seem rumblings about that about Ruggs on Raiders forums. I went there mostly to see what they were saying about blowing the Dolphins game. Instead I saw many posts and threads already discouraged with Ruggs. I remember Slimm rating him distinctly below the other Alabama wide receivers.

boss

Devonta Smith..

I have him over Jamar chase.

Smooth Deceptive speed..Hi level Route running artist..Wiry strong...Large excellent
hands and eye coordination..Ability and tactical separator...Hi character..strong work ethic..

I believe he is a 4.4 player..

With what is a glaring weakness in our unit (inability to separate) and the connection to Tua, Smith stock rises in our eyes..

Devonta Smith..

Smooth Deceptive speed..Hi level Route running artist..Wiry strong...Large excellent
hands and eye coordination..Ability and tactical separator...Hi character..strong work ethic..

With what is a glaring weakness in our unit (inability to separate) and the connection to Tua, Smith stock rises in our eyes..

I mean I feel like I could of written that summary because it is exactly how I feel, all the way down to him being a glove fit for Tua and that being a reason we have to bump him up on our board vs. other teams. He means more to us than them.

All that talent at WR at Bama, but for 4 years whenever Bama needed a clutch play, they went to Smitty. That type of trust is invaluable.

Give me Waddle over Smith...

In this day and time, I would prefer Tyreke Hill over Marvin Harrison.

What I'm not willing to do is:
  1. Pay Kenny Golliday $19 mill (market value).
  2. Pay Curtis Godwin $17 mill (market value).
  3. Pay Juju $15 mill (market value).
  4. Outbid the Bears for Robinson.

What I'm willing to do is (in this order):
  1. Pay Corey Davis $9 mill (market value) to play on the other side of Parker.
  2. Pay Allen Robinson less than his market rate (a brother can hope).

Call me crazy but i would draft BOTH with my first two picks. I would do my best to trade that #3 pick and be in position to draft Smith within top 6-7. Then i would use that #18 pick and take Waddle(assuming he's there of course)...

I don’t think that‘s crazy at all. They are both among the better receivers in this draft. And arguably of the past few drafts. Doesn’t matter they are from the same team. They are both elite level talents!

I personally like Smith and Waddle better than Ruggs and Jeudy who everyone knows all played together last season.

Smith seems the most reliable in terms of hands & route running. Waddle seems like the most elusive, creative, quick twitch player of the bunch, and looks to be just as fast as Ruggs.

While Smith doesn’t have Ruggs or Waddle’s speed, he seems to me to be 2nd only to Waddle in terms of being elusive, creative quick twitch, explosive, etc.

I don’t think that‘s crazy at all. They are both among the better receivers in this draft. And arguably of the past few drafts. Doesn’t matter they are from the same team. They are both elite level talents!

I personally like Smith and Waddle better than Ruggs and Jeudy who everyone knows all played together last season.

Smith seems the most reliable in terms of hands & route running. Waddle seems like the most elusive, creative, quick twitch player of the bunch, and looks to be just as fast as Ruggs.

While Smith doesn’t have Ruggs or Waddle’s speed, he seems to me to be 2nd only to Waddle in terms of being elusive, creative quick twitch, explosive, etc.

Part of it for me is maximizing the explosiveness on offense. I want to have that problem where you have too much offensive weapons. Also if you draft say Smith and leave everything else as is then all it takes is an injury to Smith for us to be right back with the same offensive sewage.

Devonta Smith..

Player comparisons can be good and bad. Often when you do it, somebody has to chime in and say that it’s a lofty comparison. Fair enough.

But if you remove the HOF credentials or the idea that I’m predicting Devonta Smith to end up as one of the top 4-5 receivers of all time — then my comp for Smith is Marvin Harrison meets Jerry Rice.

The smooth, deceptive speed and gazelle-like ease in which he runs reminds me of Rice. Harrison had some of that in his game too. Of course Harrison’s frame is eerily similar to Smith, although Devonta is a tad taller (and longer, I believe).

What I like about Smith is that he’s not a one-trick pony. He’s not just a speed guy. He’s not just a great hands possession guy. He can do a bit of everything and do it at a higher than average level.

He can take a quick hitch or slant and turn it into a big gainer. He can beat the top off a defense with his quickness, route running, and better than average speed. And lastly, he can go up and get contested balls. Triple threat receivers like him don’t come along every draft.

The only knock anybody could realistically have about him is his slight frame. That he’s not 20 pounds thicker. However, he played in the SEC for 4 years against some of the best athletes — many of which are also in the NFL or soon will be — and he never experienced problems or injuries due to his build. And as has been pointed out ad nauseam, slim or small players are able to succeed in today’s NFL like never before.

Waddle is fairly small too, at 5-10 183ish. But I also do not care.

Last edited:
Player comparisons can be good and bad. Often when you do it, somebody has to chime in and say that it’s a lofty comparison. Fair enough.

But if you remove the HOF credentials or the idea that I’m predicting Devonta Smith to end up as one of the top 4-5 receivers of all time — then my comp for Smith is Marvin Harrison meets Jerry Rice.

The smooth, deceptive speed and gazelle-like ease in which he runs reminds me of Rice. Harrison had some of that in his game too. Of course Harrison’s frame is eerily similar to Smith, although Devonta is a tad taller (and longer, I believe).

What I like about Smith is that he’s not a one-trick pony. He’s not just a speed guy. He’s not just a great hands possession guy. He can do a bit of everything and do it at a higher than average level.

He can take a quick hitch or slant and turn it into a big gainer. He can beat the top off a defense with his quickness, route running, and better than average speed. And lastly, he can go up and get contested balls. Triple threat receivers like him don’t come along every draft.

The only knock anybody could realistically have about him is his slight frame. That he’s not 20 pounds thicker. However, he played in the SEC for 4 years against some of the best athletes — many of which are also in the NFL or soon will be — and he never experienced problems or injuries due to his build. And as has been pointed out ad nauseam, slim or small players are able to succeed in today’s NFL like never before.

I do find it silly when fans complain about a player comparison by saying it's too lofty. When evaluators make a comparison it's generally related to a play style and almost never related to a prediction about a career. Lazier comparisons are usually just about size.

I see some Jerry rice as well, when he runs full speed through the catch with a still head is one trait.

Ability to track a ball Deep is about running full speed while keeping your head as still as possible so the eyes and hands can focus..he does this very well..

another thing about him that doesn’t get talked about is his athleticism, this is a great athlete, I went back and watched his high school basketball games, man this kid received dozens of offers from division one schools, he was nice..

funny thing is he was the same size in high school as he is now, really didn’t grow much..

Last edited:

His smooth routes and deceptive speed are why most folks go with Harrison but I totally agree with you. He's a mix of Rice and Wayne, imo. He's not physical, hes not super fast but he keeps. getting. open.

I've not watched Smith until now but with the way he moves i see your comp.

Back
Top Bottom