Smokescreen? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Smokescreen?

Tanking is a delicate balance. If you tell your fans you're doing that then selling tickets is nearly impossible, and that hurts the bottom line of the NFL, so other owners really frown upon that. Coaches know they're the guys going to be on the firing line for losing, regardless of what the GM and Owner say. Getting someone (Hue Jackson) to accept all those losses is tough to do. And inevitably, once the team turns the corner and starts looking promising, they fire the guy who accumulated all those losses and give all that fresh ammo to a new hotshot coach.

The best tank I've ever seen is the Indianapolis Colts' "Suck for Luck" campaign. They kept playing that incredibly inept QB and just stunk up the joint. Peyton Manning had willed that roster into winning records, and without him the team fell hard, but it was his stand-in who was unbelievably bad that clinched them the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. The fans were so bummed about Manning--the legend--and sad that he was at the end of his career and suffering that neck injury, that they were ready to hold a vigil for him and use those losses as a testament to just how great Peyton Manning was. They wore that 1-year down cycle as a badge of honor as they eyed the next great QB prospect and Peyton Manning prodigy Andrew Luck. Sure, Luck had injuries and hasn't been as reliable as they had hoped … but that tanking campaign was nearly painless! And it was so incredibly effective!

IMHO, that's gotta be the blueprint for the Dolphins. And if it doesn't go right in 2019 and we win too many games to get our franchise QB in 2020, then just stay the course (and starve the coach's resources) to get even worse for 2021 and the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes. So in a way, the Lose-Lose mentality is a Win-Win situation. I know, it's lipstick on a pig, but hey, it's a pig, whatchagonnado?
Curtis Painter was the QB. The equivalent of Nathan Peterman.

Doing poorly so you can get better thru the draft is non-sense. Consider that you typically get 6 draft picks and if you are good at drafting then three or four of those draft picks pan out. There are 5 offensive linemen and typically 4 (plus up to three or minus one depending on formations used). That means you need to get at least 9 players. If you rely on the draft, then it will take two years to get nine or more draft picks. Lets say you go for linemen using 5 draft picks a year for two years. Of those ten linemen, only five will pan out so you actually need to draft 5 linemen a year for 4 years to get 10 linemen who can play well.

Too simplistic a view...

Your position is only supported if there is absolutely no linemen on the team worth keeping, and/or under contract.

in the fifth year comes around and you need to start to draft for replacement linemen as your previous picks get hurt, or traded, or leave in free agency. As you can see this is a never-ending process and it requires Free Agency selections to help fill the holes not fixed by the draft.

If a pick gets hurt, and it's not a career-ender, that pick comes back...

If the pick is good enough to resign, they get a 2nd contract...if they aren't they are replaced in the draft/free agency.

this as a never-ending process, how in the world will tanking make it any better? All you do is increase your potential for the number you pick at in the draft. This can never account for what you lose when you clear the decks of players when tanking!

The Colts tanked and became a good team. Definitely better than us.

The Browns have tanked for the past year. There almost NO way for a team to go 1 - 31 in two seasons, just to land the top QB...and suddenly become better than us.

You don't have to "tank". You just have to clean your roster to the bare-bones, keep your YOUNG core players, and play your back-up QB. Everyone gets reps and it will be an extended pre-season for eval purposes.

It's been time to reset this puppy and stop worrying about being able to say you aren't fielding a .500 team. 9-7 is just as bad as 8-8 to me...maybe worse.

Damn been on that Tank for almost 20 years....We're not talkin Tank here more like Submarine...

Have an opportunity possibly of Tanking once more in this draft and grabbing Murray or possibly Haskens...How ?

Simply do what you have to do to move up from 13 to Tampa (5th pk.), Damn even Raiders at #4 if necessary and the G damn issue of QB is finitu... Can't even remember when that was not our biggest concern...

No need to crash any more for future 2020 draft ..but also realize and expect it may cost us our 1st + 2 or 3 or both...I know it can be steep but IMO worth it in the long run and finally have that potential guy that doesn't come around that often or realistically in reach to actually get....One more Tank (Draft Tank). Never thought I'd see reason in such a move but with our team now, see it as the best move we can make and cross our fingers that that QB is all he supposed to be, Knowing and seeing that like all picks will be a major critical crap shot....

Only time I can think of in decades that filling this " The Hole " theory is a great idea.... Ya Ya will still be needing major upgrade in all kinds of areas but if we got our guy at QB ,,,big advantage very big, big and new excitement for this team.....JMO....

Last edited:
My post was meant to demonstrate a worst case scenario. Isn't that where you are at if you intend to tank?

Idk, if you start a healthy tannehill and fix the o-line, along with the young talent, I feel like that lands us right back in the 6-10 to 10-6 range again.
t
Doing poorly so you can get better thru the draft is non-sense. Consider that you typically get 6 draft picks and if you are good at drafting then three or four of those draft picks pan out. There are 5 offensive linemen and typically 4 (plus up to three or minus one depending on formations used). That means you need to get at least 9 players. If you rely on the draft, then it will take two years to get nine or more draft picks. Lets say you go for linemen using 5 draft picks a year for two years. Of those ten linemen, only five will pan out so you actually need to draft 5 linemen a year for 4 years to get 10 linemen who can play well.

Then in the fifth year comes around and you need to start to draft for replacement linemen as your previous picks get hurt, or traded, or leave in free agency. As you can see this is a never ending process and it requires Free Agency selections to help fill the holes not fixed by the draft.

Seeing this as a never ending process, how in the world will tanking make it any better? All you do is increase your potential for the number you pick at in the draft. This can never account for what you loose when you clear the decks of players when tanking!
I like this it have taken Cleveland 10 yr. just to won 7 game in one season and it like winning a superbowl. dolphins are not that bad of team to be thinking about tanking.

My post was meant to demonstrate a worst case scenario. Isn't that where you are at if you intend to tank?
Maybe yes...maybe no.

You can see a "tank" could simply mean losing two more games than this year and end up picking anywhere from 4 to 10.

That can be done by putting all the pieces of the team in place and starting your backup for a year if a QB is drafted, or keep two QBs and start the best one for the job.

I'm not satisfied with 9-7...Wild Card years for the next 3 years.

Damn been on that Tank for almost 20 years....We're not talkin Tank here more like Submarine...

Have an opportunity possibly of Tanking once more in this draft and grabbing Murray or possibly Haskens...How ?

Simply do what you have to do to move up from 13 to Tampa (5th pk.), Damn even Raiders at #4 if necessary and the G damn issue of QB is finitu... Can't even remember when that was not our biggest concern...

No need to crash any more for future 2020 draft ..but also realize and expect it may cost us our 1st + 2 or 3 or both...I know it can be steep but IMO worth it in the long run and finally have that potential guy that doesn't come around that often or realistically in reach to actually get....One more Tank (Draft Tank). Never thought I'd see reason in such a move but with our team now, see it as the best move we can make and cross our fingers that that QB is all he supposed to be, Knowing and seeing that like all picks will be a major critical crap shot....

Only time I can think of in decades that filling this " The Hole " theory is a great idea.... Ya Ya will still be needing major upgrade in all kinds of areas but if we got our guy at QB ,,,big advantage very big, big and new excitement for this team.....JMO....
I know everyone is pointing toward 2020 with Tua and Fromm. But, I agree. Why not find that qb now if you can?

If you had to rank the top three from 2020 and include Haskins, Murray, Lock and Jones what would the order be? I guess the more important question is if Miami feels any of the qb's from 2019 can become plus players, or better.

Back
Top Bottom