Snap numbers? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Snap numbers?

Feverdream

Club Member
Reaction score
I think there is a serious misconception among many football fans these days when it comes to the value of a 'starter' and/or the need of a guy to be a 'three-down player'.

The modern NFL isn't the same game of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Sub-package players are MUCH more common... and more valuable now. 'Bell-cow backs' also, are a dying breed. These days, QBs, Offensive Linemen, and Defensive Backs are the only ones who seem to stay on the field.

Here are the Dolphins who had an 80% snap share or more:

Tua 95.1%
Jackson 90%
Kohou 84.9%
Elliot 84%
Wilkins 81%

That's it. Five guys. Yes, some of this was due to injury, but not all of it-- guys just rotate more than casual fans understand, maybe a LOT more.

So... maybe don't have such a panic attack when we draft players who 'won't be a starter right away', or 'won't ever be a three-down player'.

Here's a link

Totally agree, Dwight Feeney played about 50% of the snaps in the last 6 years of his career and he was still very effective (don't think they counter snaps until 2012!) and you would have wanted him on your team.

I think there is a serious misconception among many football fans these days when it comes to the value of a 'starter' and/or the need of a guy to be a 'three-down player'.

The modern NFL isn't the same game of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Sub-package players are MUCH more common... and more valuable now. 'Bell-cow backs' also, are a dying breed. These days, QBs, Offensive Linemen, and Defensive Backs are the only ones who seem to stay on the field.

Here are the Dolphins who had an 80% snap share or more:

Tua 95.1%
Jackson 90%
Kohou 84.9%
Elliot 84%
Wilkins 81%

That's it. Five guys. Yes, some of this was due to injury, but not all of it-- guys just rotate more than casual fans understand, maybe a LOT more.

So... maybe don't have such a panic attack when we draft players who 'won't be a starter right away', or 'won't ever be a three-down player'.

Here's a link

Most “fans” don’t understand football at all. They are, however, “experts” at reading a few tic toc headlines and then voicing a hard core opinion based on the headline. No depth of research whatsoever. 🤣

The OL snap counts being low is primarily due to injury. It is fairly normal for them to play every offensive snap each game.

I would also add there is a degree of ambiguity with the defensive snap counts as well. Part of modern defenses is using multiple fronts and coverage combinations. So one player having a 60% snap share doesn’t mean they only were only replaced by a back up; they could have come off for an extra DB.

The amount of starters injured last year had a huge impact on this particular stat. Just based on the numbers, Chubb likely would have topped 80% as well if he had not been hurt. And there are a handful of others that would have been close.

Interesting point that illustrates the importance of quality depth players.
I think you may have, at least partially, missed the point. Either that, or your definition of "depth player" is different than mine.

Yeah posted before but assuming weaver brings over similar tendencies to Balt their edges rotated often with 4 guys taking over 300 snaps and another 3 guys split another 300 snaps. Think their best rusher Clowney received 55%.

Same thing with their dline and maybe a reason we let Wilkins go. Their star DT Madubuike only received 65% of snaps. With their NT getting 55% everyone else was under 40%.

Interestingly enough they have 3 safeties play over 80% of snaps which I don’t see us doing with only Holland and poyer as viable options.

MLB’s were 92 and 96% so expect Long and Brooks to get a heavy dose.

Compare our percentages to that of other playoff teams.

The Bills had the same 5 olinemen start the entire year.

The Dolphins having only 5 guys with 80% snap count or higher doesnt make it a good thing.

The Bills had about 10 or 11, KC and SF had about 8. All 3 teams had far more 90 Snap count guys as well.

Depth is one thing, drafting part time players with premium draft capital is another.

Last edited:
every time you look at numbers/stats it doesn’t give you the whole picture.....at the EOD I just want the team to win.

Most “fans” don’t understand football at all. They are, however, “experts” at reading a few tic toc headlines and then voicing a hard core opinion based on the headline. No depth of research whatsoever. 🤣

Agree.

What's worse is many media members are agenda driven clowns.

Back
Top Bottom