Snippet from Ethan's latest article | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Snippet from Ethan's latest article

KB21

Club Member
Reaction score
IGNORE QUOTES: Yes, this will take some getting used to, since we tend to use a lot of them. It’s our crutch, and we must fill a certain amount of daily space, so they won’t disappear entirely. But a frightened player is a dishonest player, at least for publication purposes. And since Saban has preached the "One Voice" philosophy, you can assume he’s a ventriloquist throwing his voice to his puppets. What they say means little, because it’s not what some would say if their words weren’t being monitored. (If they start using a lot of metaphors that include their wives, or better yet, Saban’s wife, then you know the cloning is complete).

BEWARE THE RETRACTION: Occasionally, a player will slip into (gasp!) honesty. He will be scolded. And the next day, he will backtrack and apologize, and turn over his first born. Treasure this blessing. And, whatever you do, be sure to ignore the apology.

SHOP AROUND THE PRESS: Since there will be greater use of anonymous sources you would be wise to keep a scorecard of which reporters are getting what right. If a reporter is often off-base, hold that person accountable. Stop reading. Stop watching. Stop listening. Look elsewhere. We certainly would deserve that.

FIND PERSONALITIES ELSEWHERE: The Heat has some compelling players, including the two biggest stars in town. The Marlins have an eclectic, interesting, winning mix. If it’s individuality you want, Davie won’t be the place. Restrictions on access will make it harder to get to know players and tell their personal stories. It’s inevitable that they won’t be portrayed as human beings as often anymore, just football players. Saban’s subjects, to be more exact. Many fans say they only care about what players do on the field ("I don’t subscribe to People magazine," is an e-mail that frequently finds my in-box), so they won’t mind this much. But this will bother some players, who are concerned about their images, and want fans to get to know them as more than blocking, tackling slabs of meat.

COACHING ERROR? GO STRAIGHT TO THE TOP: Spite, you say? Hardly. It’s just the way Saban has set it up. If he’s not allowing the media to speak to assistants, including the coordinators, then we must assume they have no role in whatever occurs on the field, unless we just take his word for it. (If Saban were President, Donald Rumsfeld would never hold a press briefing; "Hey, just ask Dub-ya," Rummy would say). Saban seems to have assembled an excellent staff, but apparently, it is not a particularly eloquent or responsible one; otherwise, why can’t they be allowed to explain their activities? This is sort of a shame, especially for the staff’s many African-American assistants. The league says it is intent on promoting minority coaches, who aren’t as well-known to owners. It is difficult to promote someone who essentially does not exist.

MASTER THE METAPHOR: Saban uses them all the time, and if they sometimes go over your head, don’t worry - some of us feel 3-foot-2 these days. They’re revealing just the same, in the things that he references, notably cars and family, if not in that order. When asked about acquiring Edgerrin James, Saban said, "When you ask me a specific question like that, ever is a long time. Will my wife ever leave me? She has had several opportunities and probably should have a long time ago. I am happy that she didn’t." When asked about Ricky Williams, Saban said, "My wife once said, 'I’ll never speak to you again.' But she’s here, right in the room up there.' People make emotional decisions and judgments about things." When asked about changing the draft grading system, Saban said, "If y’all went to my cottage right now in North Carolina, we've got no mustard and 15 bottles of ketchup in the pantry because every time my wife goes to the store, she picks up a bottle because she doesn't take a list. She doesn't know what she wants. She just goes to the store and buys stuff. So we end up with lots of ketchup, no mustard and sometimes no mayonnaise, so everybody has got to eat ketchup."

CALL FOR TERRY SABAN: Because she sounds interesting in all those metaphors. And in time, you're going to be tired of hearing only from her husband.

Good stuff!

EDIT: I should have added that this is Ethan's "Saban Survival Guide" for the fans.

It seems to me like Ethan is trying to undermine what Saban is trying to do.

Especially the part about the assisstant coaches and players being unknown. It's as if he's trying to plant a seed of mutiny that's going to start growing at the first sign of trouble. In fairness though, it's not the first time I've seen it written and IIRC, it was a national writer that implied the same things.

The "One Voice" philosophy doesn't seem to have hurt NE's assistant coaches from finding greener pastures.

I don't like this article at all. IMO, it's an underhanded way to throw darts at Saban's philosophy under the guise of comradship with the fans, while the real motive is much more self serving, and devisive towards the team.

I'm just scared about the way Saban is running this team, and I think it is going to blow up in his face with a quickness if he doesn't have immediate success.

He has far too many controversial ways of doing things and he's making enemies out of the press, the ones who can make or break public perception.

I don't blame Ethan for anything, I would just rather not see the groundwork being laid.

I can't disagree with any of the text, just the implications of it.

As for NE's assistant coaches, it does seem like there had to be an inordinate amount of success before they started getting recognition so, again, Ethan is right....

I just don't want to see it yet.

inFINSible said:
It seems to me like Ethan is trying to undermine what Saban is trying to do.

Especially the part about the assisstant coaches and players being unknown. It's as if he's trying to plant a seed of mutiny that's going to start growing at the first sign of trouble. In fairness though, it's not the first time I've seen it written and IIRC, it was a national writer that implied the same things.

The "One Voice" philosophy doesn't seem to have hurt NE's assistant coaches from finding greener pastures.

I don't like this article at all. IMO, it's an underhanded way to throw darts at Saban's philosophy under the guise of comradship with the fans, while the real motive is much more self serving, and devisive towards the team.
I agree. No doubt though that a guy in Ethan's position is in writer hell when a coach with this philosophy comes into town. Ethan is going to fall way short though if he takes on Saban at this point. He's very popular and most fans seem to want to but what he is selling. I know i do

DOLFANMIKE said:
I agree. No doubt though that a guy in Ethan's position is in writer hell when a coach with this philosophy comes into town. Ethan is going to fall way short though if he takes on Saban at this point. He's very popular and most fans seem to want to but what he is selling. I know i do
I do too but, there seem to be dark clouds forming on the horizon, just waiting to move in if the fan's perception changes.

Back
Top Bottom