So are we done in free agency? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So are we done in free agency?

PATSSUCK

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
It seems like we picked up Burnett and Bush, patted ourselves on the back, and called it a day. Don't we still need a strong safety, a legitimate #2 receiver, and a TE?

It seems like we picked up Burnett and Bush, patted ourselves on the back, and called it a day. Don't we still need a strong safety, a legitimate #2 receiver, and a TE?

only those on this board who just seem to love diva WR's more than OL would suggest we need "a legitimate #2". Clyde Gates could be your #2. You just dont know it yet. Davone Bess is your #2. Yeah he's a slot guy. so what? He acts like worthy of a #2. Hartline is fine as #3. and clyde the glide will make us even better. No big names needed. move on already. get over it!

What we need is a G!!!!! Clay is going to be our #2 TE/H-Back

and who says we are done in free agency? the prices of guys are quickly dropping as we speak. stop acting like a spoiled brat at christmas!

We don't need a strong safety, Bell is more than good enough. We could do worse than Clemmons/Jones at FS but I know the kid from San Fran has excited some people. #2 WR is more luxury at this point.

I do think we need to consider a TE, in addition to Clay, that can stretch the field. It doesn't have to be Zach Miller . . . it could be Todd Heap (who probably is going to the Jets as it looks). Anybody who has proven that they can stretch the field from that spot will be a solid addition.

We also need another OG. It is wishful thinking to believe the guys we have are good enough . . . go and get a guard Jeff.

And of course QB, I like the job Jeff has done so far here, no panic around Orton, keep sniffing Palmer . . . DON'T overpay. Do what you can do.

Everything else IMO revolves around taking care of our own.

and who says we are done in free agency? the prices of guys are quickly dropping as we speak. stop acting like a spoiled brat at christmas!

Why dont you calm the hell down with the name calling. I was simply asking a question.

Count me in as one who thinks we really need a bonafide and 'proven' true #2 WR. I'll post this again-

A guy like Edwards at the #2 is a true vertical (and proven) deep threat and will open up the other receivers and the passing game a lot more. Notice how often Marshall was double and triple covered at times last year. Even Bess was double covered half of the time he was out there as well. No defense respects Hartline and this is a problem. Those shell coverages within 25 yards of the LOS killed us last year.

I don't like pasting other posts. But I was just at the rival board and Todd over there made some very good points.. the first parts i totally agree with wholeheartedly, but the latter points about the teams we have to face does coincide with the premise of this thread:

we currently have no proven depth at WR, and if Marshall or Hartline go down we could be in trouble again. It's uncertain how long Gates will take to make an impact, and until he does, I think it would be wise to have someone else in the mix who certainly can.

IMO Hartline is a possession guy. He might have a slightly higher yards per catch, but he's still a possession guy. He might sneak by a DB here and there, but he's not the first guy you're picking to enter a jump ball contest..... or a tracking the ball contest...... or a down field catching contest. He's not a scorer, and he's not a playmaker.... and that's what we're missing. I'd rather go after Edwards than bank on Gates contributing early on.

The Jets made the Champ game with him so I wouldn't say he's detrimental to success.

Not to mention, if we're looking at the big picture and planning ahead:

we face the Eagles, so we'll need all the help at WR we can get for that game.

We face Revis twice. That alone should warrant us grabbing an extra WR. (That's 3 games against HOF caliber corners)

Houston picked up Joseph who's a stud when healthy. With the firepower of that offense, we might need more of our own.

Cleveland has Haden.

NE has a ProBowler in McCourtney and could be nasty with Vince & Albert up front, so it'd be nice to have 2 big guys to throw jump balls to if they bring the pressure. Plus they drafted Dowling.

SD had one of the best pass defenses in the NFL (ranked #1 in yards allowed with a 76 QBR and led the league in fewest big play catches allowed. We might also need to match their firepower.

KC should be even better than 2010 where they allowed a stingy 78 QBR & 55% completions.

Giants allowed an 80 QBR with only 57% completions.

That's 10 games against some good cover guys or great secondaries that would really benefit IMO from another weapon at WR. Not to mention, if these teams decide to double Brandon and stick their stud corner on Hartline, that could spell trouble.

Plus the playoffs and Super Bowl could include teams from the 6 toughest pass defenses from 2010: Baltimore, Pitt, Jets, GB, Chicago, and SD.

We need a deep threat that is not a rookie. We need
a TE that can threaten the seam. We need someone else that can rush the passer.
We need someone who can catch the ball in
the secondary.We need quards that can actually block.

I just think Edwards would prove expensive and I doubt he would come here on a 1 year deal with the uncertainty at QB down here . . . though that is his college QB throwing him the rock. If Edwards wants to do a "prove it/wait for next FA" deal for 1 year, 5 million . . . I would go for it. All this 5 years and 35 million stuff we shouldn't do right now, not at WR.

Guard would be the biggest need, and free safety. We could still do something at either spot. Ben Violin thinks we have $5-7M left, and Omar Kelly thinks we have $4-5M left. So, $5M is a safe estimate. Some of that could go to extensions for current players, like Kendall Langford for one.

Hartline was on pace for a 67 catch, 800 yard season when he got hurt. He has led the team in yards per catch and yards after catch each of his first two seasons. He is fins as the #2 WR.

A big reason why it was so easy to double and triple Marshall, and double Bess, is that we often only sent 2 or 3 receivers into the patterns. And our weapons on offense were limited. Teams will now have to account for Bush and Clay, and Daboll comes from the New England philosophy of spreading the field with 4-wide packages.

Don't fall asleep on this Brett Brackett kid from Penn State, either. He's 6'6, 245, and ran a 4.61 at his pro day. He may be a darkhorse for a TE spot.

i think we still need more horses on the online and a real QB
and a legitmate #2 wide receiver depending on your 4th round pick
to fill the roll could backfire..

lets not overpay for players. I'd love to have Braylon Edwards, but if hes expensive...forget it. Whats the point in having high priced players when you dont go to the super bowl? As for QB, im pretty sure Ireland wants to see if Henne or Moore has anything in them so he can decide if we can draft a QB in Round 1 next year (Luck or Barkley). Having Orton is dumb, hes a good starting QB but is in his 7th year. We want a FRANCHISE QB...so lets give Henne the chance (or Moore, or Devlin) and if they prove nothing, we draft a top tier QB next year in R1.

Back
Top Bottom