So for all those that don't want to pick a QB with the #2... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So for all those that don't want to pick a QB with the #2...

If Smith / Rodgers were any good, I'd take one of them at #2...

Unfortunately, they're being ridiculously overrated by the draft gurus becuase they're the only two who stand out. They're really not that good IMO...

The top RB's and WR's in this draft are far more superior in terms of being an instant impact player. I keep hearing Saban talk about what's best for the future, and that scares me into thinking he'll bite on one of these highly overrated QB's....

Hell, when you compare Rodgers / Smith to last years QB's, they basically suck. Add to the fact that only one of those top 4 QB's taken last year even made any impact, and we're looking at a good two or three years of development if we decide to go QB at #2....

I'm sick of hearing all the "that's too high for RB", or "that's too high to draft a WR". The bottom line is you want a bonafide star regardless of position. Neither Smith / Rodgers fit that description IMO....

I'd go WR B. Edwards at #2, and use that 2nd we get for Surtain on a RB....

Solid QB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL. It's too easy to get someone in FA these days. To sacrifice the #2 overall pick on a "project QB", when we could land a stud at WR or RB, makes no sense IMO....

I'M ON THE "BRAYLON BANDWAGON"!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!

Yes his contract is FAT in 2007 but bonus wise the worse ends this year. So the fat payday arrives when his bonus has been half paid and then cutting him is not that painful. I chose my own option, I dont trust Feeley absolutetly, I rather draft someone, but just not in the 1st rd. Im going with Walter and I give Feeley a chance this year, if he cant cut it, Walter takes command.

islandah said:
So for all of you that don't want to take a qb due to the perceived value of Rodgers and Smith, that must mean that you believe that
A) AJ Feeley is our franchise qb of the future, no doubt about it
B) AJ deserves a chance and if he fails, we'll be able to pick up a better qb next year(with most likely a lower pick) and wait for him to develop another year
C) Same as above, but we can find our qb of the future via FA, sitting on someone else's roster (a la AJ Feeley),
or
D) QB is an overrated position and we can do just fine with our avg backup qbs as long as we have a dominant RB/WR/Oline/system

I'm curious which of these you believe to be the case, or is there an option I've not considered?

2 Words....Ryan Leaf

I can't reconcile the 2 arguments that 1) Rodgers and Smith aren't worthy of their high draft status and would be later picks in other drafts, and 2) a qb that grades out 1-2 rounds below these "overrated" qbs is somehow a good pickup, that if you give them enough time to develop they somehow morph into much more talented players.

If you don't want to gamble on Rodgers or Smith, fine. But don't then tell me that wasting a later pick on a player that all the pro scouts agree is much less talented is the way to go! To me, picking a qb is always a gamble at best. You either maximize your chance by using the high pick, or you just don't go to the well.

BLITZKRIEG said:
If Smith / Rodgers were any good, I'd take one of them at #2...

Unfortunately, they're being ridiculously overrated by the draft gurus becuase they're the only two who stand out. They're really not that good IMO...

The top RB's and WR's in this draft are far more superior in terms of being an instant impact player. I keep hearing Saban talk about what's best for the future, and that scares me into thinking he'll bite on one of these highly overrated QB's....

Hell, when you compare Rodgers / Smith to last years QB's, they basically suck. Add to the fact that only one of those top 4 QB's taken last year even made any impact, and we're looking at a good two or three years of development if we decide to go QB at #2....

I'm sick of hearing all the "that's too high for RB", or "that's too high to draft a WR". The bottom line is you want a bonafide star regardless of position. Neither Smith / Rodgers fit that description IMO....

I'd go WR B. Edwards at #2, and use that 2nd we get for Surtain on a RB....

Solid QB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL. It's too easy to get someone in FA these days. To sacrifice the #2 overall pick on a "project QB", when we could land a stud at WR or RB, makes no sense IMO....

I'M ON THE "BRAYLON BANDWAGON"!!!!

PHINZ RULE!!!

So, if Saban disagrees with you and feels Alex Smith for example is a great prospect and drafts him to build this team around you are saying he is a making a mistake and that you know better than he does....right?

allred65 said:
2 Words....Ryan Leaf

Some of you act like runners are sure things, lets look at the last three runners Miami drafted in round one.....John Avery, Sammie Smith, Lorenzo Hampton.............or how about Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter or Curtis Enis...........its a crapshoot, I don't care what position your drafting.

islandah said:
So for all of you that don't want to take a qb due to the perceived value of Rodgers and Smith, that must mean that you believe that
A) AJ Feeley is our franchise qb of the future, no doubt about it
B) AJ deserves a chance and if he fails, we'll be able to pick up a better qb next year(with most likely a lower pick) and wait for him to develop another year
C) Same as above, but we can find our qb of the future via FA, sitting on someone else's roster (a la AJ Feeley),
or
D) QB is an overrated position and we can do just fine with our avg backup qbs as long as we have a dominant RB/WR/Oline/system

I'm curious which of these you believe to be the case, or is there an option I've not considered?

B) is partly to my thinking; but you are missing another option: that is the presence of Frerotte. I think Gus has a very good shot at beating out Feeley and even playing a couple of years as a starter. In such a case we could still take a QB next year - or go for one later in the draft (like a McPherson).

Personally, I'm not entirely opposed to taking a QB.

The real issue is - if we do take a QB with the #2 pick, what will that say to Rick Spielman? If we take one, I would not doubt that Spielman will be gone after the draft or will be reduced to little more than a glorified scout.

allred65 said:
2 Words....Ryan Leaf

I dont believe in superstitions like Ryan Leaf nonsense. Just because David Terell was a bust WR from Michigan doesnt mean Braylon Edwards will be. Just because Ryan Leaf was a bust doesnt mean Alex Smith/Aaron Rogers will be one either.

Smith and Rogers will be the 1st qbs taken in this draft no doubt about it where they land i dont know. IF Frye,Cambell, Chang and those other qb's are soo good how come they dont go #1 to 49ers? Exactly :p you cant build franchises around them.

my thaughts on the draft have NOTHING TO DO WITH MY LIKE OR DISLIKE OF AJ.

the dolphins traded the #34 overall pick in this years draft for a QB last season.

there is no way in hell based on that fact ALONE the fins should use the #2 overall pick on a QB.

unless they think hes the next M. Vick, or P. Manning, which most people will tell you is NOT the case.

Da 'Fins said:
The real issue is - if we do take a QB with the #2 pick, what will that say to Rick Spielman? If we take one, I would not doubt that Spielman will be gone after the draft or will be reduced to little more than a glorified scout.

One thing I'm not worried about is Saban trying to spare anyone's feelings. IF he were to take a qb at#2, I think AJ and Spielman could carpool out of town. But there's no doubt in my mind that if Saban thinks that's the right choice, he won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

I want a Qb with the #2 pick, if Feeley does not pan out then the rebuilding process will be pushed back atleast a year. Someone posted this a while back but considering "franchise rb's" are available for 2nd rd picks, and that Aj cost a 2nd rd pick, which is more valuable to a franchise? I won't be mad at taking a RB or a Qb, but I really hate the idea of a defensive player or Braylon Edwards. Also I think saying a team can win the SB in the NFL now is BS, maybe a few years ago with Baltimore but Brad Johnson did have a very good season with Tampa that year, just to prove my point i'll bring up the Bills last season who couldn't make the playoffs with a caretaker at QB and decided to take a step backwards to take 2 steps forward. All players can be bust so bringing up Ryan Leaf being a bust does not hold merit with me, Ki-Jana Carter was a bust, David Terrell is a bust, but it seems that alot of fans think QB's are the only position which is a risk to draft.

ch19079 said:
my thaughts on the draft have NOTHING TO DO WITH MY LIKE OR DISLIKE OF AJ.

the dolphins traded the #34 overall pick in this years draft for a QB last season.

there is no way in hell based on that fact ALONE the fins should use the #2 overall pick on a QB.

unless they think hes the next M. Vick, or P. Manning, which most people will tell you is NOT the case.

Well under the same thinking the Bills shouldn't of drafted Willis McGahee because I believe a 2nd rd pick was invested in T-Hank.

Back
Top Bottom