So for all those that don't want to pick a QB with the #2... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So for all those that don't want to pick a QB with the #2...

djfresh47 said:
Well under the same thinking the Bills shouldn't of drafted Willis McGahee because I believe a 2nd rd pick was invested in T-Hank.

the #2 overall pick is slightly higher than the ~20th overall pick we used on McGahee.

and we had henry for a few years befor we drafted McGahee.

islandah said:
So for all of you that don't want to take a qb due to the perceived value of Rodgers and Smith, that must mean that you believe that
A) AJ Feeley is our franchise qb of the future, no doubt about it
B) AJ deserves a chance and if he fails, we'll be able to pick up a better qb next year(with most likely a lower pick) and wait for him to develop another year
C) Same as above, but we can find our qb of the future via FA, sitting on someone else's roster (a la AJ Feeley),
or
D) QB is an overrated position and we can do just fine with our avg backup qbs as long as we have a dominant RB/WR/Oline/system

I'm curious which of these you believe to be the case, or is there an option I've not considered?

E) We need to give AJ a chance, and we should take a QB in the later rounds considering there is a good chance we could get a quality QB.

supertek said:
My desire to stay away from QB's at the #2 pick is not related to AJ Feeley's future potential or lack thereof. It's a major mistake to reach for something that is not there. I am disappointed there isn't a franchise QB available, but as Saban said, some things are out of your control. Smith and Rogers are 3rd round talents most years. You don't take them at #2. The BPA at #2 will be either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards. Maybe we can get a QB to develop in a later round, maybe not. By the way, do you know how many 1st round QB's have won a superbowl in the last several years?

:clap::clap::clap:

Best.Player.Available.

Which may be Ronnie Brown according to USA today. I am thinking it is Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams...but those 2 QB's are not worth 20 million dollars.

jaxdolfan said:
:clap::clap::clap:

Best.Player.Available.

Which may be Ronnie Brown according to USA today. I am thinking it is Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams...but those 2 QB's are not worth 20 million dollars.

So again, my question to you is: what's your stance on our qb position? Is AJ the guy? If not, what's our best chance at finding our future qb? Or is it not a concern? It's all well and good to take BPA, but if you're Nick Saban, how are you addressing the qb position?
Not drafting Smith/Rodgers is just as much of a decision about the position as drafting one.

I believe Saban will give Feeley one year, so I don't think a QB will be chosen #2. If Feeley fails to live up to Saban's standards than a QB will be chosen high next year. The only thing I am sure of is that we won't select a punter at #2. :lol: I've got to think it is going to RB or WR. Which one, who knows. :confused:

BenchFiedler said:
I agree with D...Is AJ Feely that worse than Brad Johnson who won a super bowl..

And Brad is better than Trent Dilfer.

islandah said:
So again, my question to you is: what's your stance on our qb position? Is AJ the guy? If not, what's our best chance at finding our future qb? Or is it not a concern? It's all well and good to take BPA, but if you're Nick Saban, how are you addressing the qb position?
Not drafting Smith/Rodgers is just as much of a decision about the position as drafting one.

what if he takes a QB later? that's a decision about the position. with so many holes, BPA is the way to go. that's their decision. it's fun for us to talk about it, but when they pick a player, they're picking the best player at that spot. they're not making some kind of statement about the next 20 years of this team.

DPlus47 said:
what if he takes a QB later? that's a decision about the position. with so many holes, BPA is the way to go. that's their decision. it's fun for us to talk about it, but when they pick a player, they're picking the best player at that spot. they're not making some kind of statement about the next 20 years of this team.

That's exactly what they're doing... the picks you make on draft day absolutely dictate the future of your team. And that decision says that you're willing to go with what you've got and hope that you accidentally hit the lotto with a late rounder. As I've made the point before, if Smith/Rodgers is not a good enough qb to gamble your future on, why would you gamble on a qb in the later rounds that is by concensus not as talented as the top 2?

The qb position is probably the biggest gamble there is. Yes there are plenty of first round busts, but there are a lot more late round just-never-made-the-team guys that quietly disappear, taking that draft pick with them. IF you believe you need a qb, the odds favor you drafting high. Period. I say either go big or go home when it comes to drafting a qb. Otherwise, you're just as well off to try to mine other people's rosters for a diamond in the rough that doesn't cost you a pick (boneheaded traded 2nd rd picks aside!).

let me make an analogy for you: i think it's really important to get a car and a motorcycle. i think that having a car is more important than having a motorcycle. i am offered an AMC gremlin and a harley-davidson for the same price. although i might still believe the car is more important for my overall commuting future, i will take the harley and figure out how to get a car later. it is important to know what you need going in, but it's also important to get the most value for what you spend. certain factors outweigh others. it all comes down to saban's evaluation of value, not saban's evaluation of what position is more important.

islandah said:
That's exactly what they're doing... the picks you make on draft day absolutely dictate the future of your team. And that decision says that you're willing to go with what you've got and hope that you accidentally hit the lotto with a late rounder. As I've made the point before, if Smith/Rodgers is not a good enough qb to gamble your future on, why would you gamble on a qb in the later rounds that is by concensus not as talented as the top 2?

The qb position is probably the biggest gamble there is. Yes there are plenty of first round busts, but there are a lot more late round just-never-made-the-team guys that quietly disappear, taking that draft pick with them. IF you believe you need a qb, the odds favor you drafting high. Period. I say either go big or go home when it comes to drafting a qb. Otherwise, you're just as well off to try to mine other people's rosters for a diamond in the rough that doesn't cost you a pick (boneheaded traded 2nd rd picks aside!).

Because a lot think Smith & Rodgers have been catapulted because it's a weak Qb class. Many say Smith is a 3rd round guy in last years draft. So, why take a gamble on a 3rd rd. guy in the first when you could take it in the 3rd? That being said, I pretty much agree with your 2nd paragraph.

islandah said:
So basically, you're willing to bet essentially the next 2 seasons (AJ trial season, then rookie developmental season) on AJ being an overlooked talent? You've got a lot more faith than I do.
the better question is; are YOU willing to bet the next 5 seasons that smith or rogers is a franchise qb plus in effect throwing away this years 2nd rounder to do it cause feeley will be of no use anymore. feeley made some mistakes but he also showed a good arm, leadership and the ability to play injured. give the guy at least 2 wrs that know the offense, a healthy rb that knows the offense and an oline that has more talent and an oline coach that can better use their talent in the right scheme and i think feeley will be a very good qb. if elway jr and marino jr were in this draft i would be screaming take whichever one is there at 2, but smith/rogers are not top 5 picks. imo most years they would be middle of first round quality.

SCall13 said:
Yes Feeley is worse than Brad Johnson - who won a Super Bowl a few years ago. He is definetly worse than the Brad Johnson that won the SB. Age has caught up with Johnson now, but I still think he is no worse than Feeley.

You don't have enough objective information to make that statement. None of us do. Name me one active QB in the NFL who could have succeeded in this offense last season? Maybe Michael Vick.. if he ran for his life on every play. Certainly not by throwing it.
Feeley was put in a no win situation. An indecisive coach, unstable O-line, unstable RB situation, incompetent offensive coordinator and a WR (Booker) who came in late and had to learn the offense on the fly.

islandah said:
So for all of you that don't want to take a qb due to the perceived value of Rodgers and Smith, that must mean that you believe that
A) AJ Feeley is our franchise qb of the future, no doubt about it
B) AJ deserves a chance and if he fails, we'll be able to pick up a better qb next year(with most likely a lower pick) and wait for him to develop another year
C) Same as above, but we can find our qb of the future via FA, sitting on someone else's roster (a la AJ Feeley),
or
D) QB is an overrated position and we can do just fine with our avg backup qbs as long as we have a dominant RB/WR/Oline/system

I'm curious which of these you believe to be the case, or is there an option I've not considered?

I choose E. I think we could get a QB later in this years draft. Orton, Campbell, Frye, ect. there are plenty of later round QBs this year that IMO will be as good if not better than Rogers and/or Smith.

how about...

E. I don't believe any QB in this draft is good enough to deserve the #2 overall pick

Back
Top Bottom