So for all those that don't want to pick a QB with the #2... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So for all those that don't want to pick a QB with the #2...

islandah said:
B) AJ deserves a chance and if he fails, we'll be able to pick up a better qb next year(with most likely a lower pick) and wait for him to develop another year...
"B" seems to be closer to the most intelligent option. It would be best for our team if AJ can succeed in this new QB friendly system. I like the idea of drafting Matt Jones to be both the #3 QB and the #3 WR. It saves roster spots and gives him time to develop while at the same time being productive in the passing game. If we do draft a QB this year, I would hope that we would try to trade SAGE on draft day for at least a 6th round pick. The Raiders don't have much draft power...but SAGE has followed Norv Turner to two teams.

Give AJ a chance to succeed with real weapons, an experienced play-caller, a revamped offensive line, and a mentally stable running back. You will be surprised how effective our offense will be. And IMO, most will be surprised at how ineffective those dink and dunk Junior QB's will be once they start playing with the big boys.

No one in the right mind would say A Feeley is our franchise QB is the answer to our QB problems of the future. I'm leaning towards D, but I'm not ruling out B completely yet.

arsenal said:
if i had to pick one id say B... but i think we are not a QB away from a championship... a QB is just another cog in the puzzle, so we need to build around the QB position because we potentially have a QB that can be our franchise guy... its just like if we drafted a QB we'd biuld around him and give him a chance right? or would you wanna dump him after half a season of poor play?

i agree 100% with you and it would cost us alot more to go after a qb in this years draft because we have 3 qbs and all is under contract and it would cost us to let either go so i say we will let feeley have his due and with a better ol and a better rb (benson and ricky ) or (ricky and brylan edwards) feeley will show that he is a qb to respect and will be for years to come thats imo:evil:

Originally Posted by islandah
So for all of you that don't want to take a qb due to the perceived value of Rodgers and Smith, that must mean that you believe that
A) AJ Feeley is our franchise qb of the future, no doubt about it
B) AJ deserves a chance and if he fails, we'll be able to pick up a better qb next year(with most likely a lower pick) and wait for him to develop another year
C) Same as above, but we can find our qb of the future via FA, sitting on someone else's roster (a la AJ Feeley),
or
D) QB is an overrated position and we can do just fine with our avg backup qbs as long as we have a dominant RB/WR/Oline/system

I'm curious which of these you believe to be the case, or is there an option I've not considered?

b all the way:evil:

ch19079 said:
the #2 overall pick is slightly higher than the ~20th overall pick we used on McGahee.

and we had henry for a few years befor we drafted McGahee.

Yea and Henry was good, Feeley hasnt played good at all. The pick was made because McGahee had more upside than Henry, if Saban feels that Smith or Rodgers has more upside to be better in the future its a good call. He wasnt here for the Feeley trade so it shouldnt have any bearing on his decision. Feeley is already 27-28 years old, Henry I believe is still younger than that and you still took McGahee.

BlueFin said:
Some of you act like runners are sure things, lets look at the last three runners Miami drafted in round one.....John Avery, Sammie Smith, Lorenzo Hampton.............or how about Blair Thomas, Ki-Jana Carter or Curtis Enis...........its a crapshoot, I don't care what position your drafting.
2 more words....Andre Ware

boon said:
I dont believe in superstitions like Ryan Leaf nonsense. Just because David Terell was a bust WR from Michigan doesnt mean Braylon Edwards will be. Just because Ryan Leaf was a bust doesnt mean Alex Smith/Aaron Rogers will be one either.

Smith and Rogers will be the 1st qbs taken in this draft no doubt about it where they land i dont know. IF Frye,Cambell, Chang and those other qb's are soo good how come they dont go #1 to 49ers? Exactly :p you cant build franchises around them.

Neither Smith or Rogers have the physical skills that Leaf appeared to have pre-draft.

BlueFin said:
I won't even get into all the WR busts that have been drafted in the first round.

Blue, I agree that any player from any position can be a mistake or even called a bust...but the difference between a WR or RB and that of a QB being a bust is vast and most importantly costly.
Most junior QB's don't start right away in the NFL...while a junior WR and RB usually do....so not only are you getting bang for your cap buck right away...but it won't take 3-4 years for you to find out you made a big mistake as it would for a junior QB...thats sitting on a bench...while receiving that 12-14 mil signing bonus. If you look at the teams that have gone backwards in the last 10 years...most of them have reached for the skies for that "franchise" QB...and all they got was a pain in the cap for years to come. Better to have great players surrounding a decent QB....than a great QB surrounded by an average O-line, average RB and average receivers. A team has to be balanced...both on defense and offense...a perfect example are the Colts...the're top heavy on offense...and lite on defense...just like the Dolphins were in the 80's and early 90's. Now look at the Pats....they have balance...and found an accurate QB in the 6th round....that has won on a team that many called a team with unknown players...or just a decent team made up of blue collar players. Sound familiar? Best to pick conservatively and live another day....than to risk everything on a hope we hit player...that could and will haunt the team for many years. If you miss on a 4th-6th round player....who cares...but how many will say the same...if that player is a top first round pick!!! Saban seems to be a conservative type coach...one that will pick a player not only from the players record but by that players cost to the Dolphins.

GO PHINS!

islandah said:
So for all of you that don't want to take a qb due to the perceived value of Rodgers and Smith, that must mean that you believe that
A) AJ Feeley is our franchise qb of the future, no doubt about it
B) AJ deserves a chance and if he fails, we'll be able to pick up a better qb next year(with most likely a lower pick) and wait for him to develop another year
C) Same as above, but we can find our qb of the future via FA, sitting on someone else's roster (a la AJ Feeley),
or
D) QB is an overrated position and we can do just fine with our avg backup qbs as long as we have a dominant RB/WR/Oline/system

I'm curious which of these you believe to be the case, or is there an option I've not considered?

The top 2 QB's this year would not be in the top 5 in any other year. Top ten yes, but not top five. Rate them against last year's class of Manning, Rothlisberger, Losman, etc...

We may have a higher pick next year or we may have the first overall, who knows? But what Saban DOES know is that these QB's this year ain't worth the investment. At second overall the only one you CAN go with is Edwards.

Is Feeley a franchise QB? Hell no! But will the Frerotte/Feeley battle finally illustrate that? I don't think so. People will whine about Frerrotte having more time in the system yada, yada. Marino had 6 months. There's your franchise QB.

With any luck, we get Edwards in the first, trade Patrick and get a RB in the second, get a great DT in the third and a rookie safety/ big linebacker (for the 3-4) OL on the way out. Then, as the vets start getting cut before June 1st, we pick up better OL competition and release the dead weight.

Should be fun!

Back
Top Bottom