So How Many Of You Still Wanted A Qb In Round 1???? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So How Many Of You Still Wanted A Qb In Round 1????

Sure. if we could have got Baker or Darnold it would have been great. Was never interested in the others

Yea after yesterday, some of the TJ McDonald luster wore off but I'm still on board with getting our best players on the field together. Maybe we can shift TJ to LB for a couple of packages and move Fitz to FS ...kids going to be an absolute star.

Honest question...what has McDonald done in a game since getting here that anyone sees. I see bad coverage, bad angles, ok tackling and little range. I'd put Fitz at FS, McCain at boundary2, make due at slot and draft a CB high next year. If we're getting killed from the slot, move Fitz into nickel on some downs.

Fitz looks like a difference maker on D. Love a FS with smarts, range, ball skills and tackling...

And I think RT is a better QB than Darnold, Mayfield or any QB in this class will ever be. We're good with RT and we made the right choice with Minkah, Gase knows this and that's all that matters now.
Thinking it so doesn't make it so. Gase didn't have a choice between Mayfield, Darnold or Fitz.

I'm not arguing against Miami's picking Minkah. I love the pick. If he stays relatively injury free and Miami reverses course of their foolish pattern of letting talent leave at the end of their rookie contract he'll go down as Miami's best DB all-time.

The QB position is just to important. Easily the most influential position in determining the outcome of games. In my opinion if a team doesn't have a top 10 talent at the position and has the opportunity to get a player who checks all the boxes of being one that team should take the shot.

MInkah is the best defensive player this team has drafted since Sam/Zach/JT. I think that is already obvious. I am a big fan of Reshad Jones, but Minkah Fitzpatrick is going to be something else.

If you wanted a top QB prospect, that's fine and I won't ever hold that against you. If you wanted a project QB who throws the football like Uncle Rico just because he comes from South Florida and put up Madden numbers against the dregs of the ACC, well, you can get bent.

I do. Maybe not the 1st rd., but a high draft choice. RT is not getting any younger. But maybe you think RT is going to be Tom Brady or George Blanda?

Love the Minkah pick but we still have several other pressing needs, QB of the future being one of them.

Thinking it so doesn't make it so. Gase didn't have a choice between Mayfield, Darnold or Fitz.

sure he did- he coulda traded 3 of our better players, this years #1draft pick, and next years #1draft pick.

and according to a dozen or so morons on this site, he shoulda done it.

Look, life (and football fan forums) is a bell curve. there will always be some just barely covered by that leftmost lip.

okay, that's harsh, but anyone wishing we'd got a top qb pick needs to understand the 53 player limit and the opportunity cost of drafting top 3, and the uncertainty of ANY top qb pick.

Last edited:

I'm not arguing against Miami's picking Minkah. I love the pick. If he stays relatively injury free and Miami reverses course of their foolish pattern of letting talent leave at the end of their rookie contract he'll go down as Miami's best DB all-time.

The QB position is just to important. Easily the most influential position in determining the outcome of games. In my opinion if a team doesn't have a top 10 talent at the position and has the opportunity to get a player who checks all the boxes of being one that team should take the shot.

No one knows how good Mayfield or Darnold will be, but they aren't Andrew Luck type prospects. Tannehill and Darnold are more physically gifted than Mayfield, and it's not even close. Darnold also played like dog s*** last year and has an elongated release, time will tell how good the 2018 QB class will be but I have my doubts. I would honestly take RT over any of these 2018 rookie QB's coming out, he had the best combination of mechanics, intelligence, talent and upside and still does minus the upside simply due to his age. Speaking of age, at least RT isn't 33 and a confirmed choker like another Ryan QB I know of lol.

Last edited:
Compare Tannehill with Andrew Luck, who was also coming off 600+ days without playing a game yesterday. We could have “sucked for Luck” and had the quarterback of the century with the first pick, but how would that have worked out? The Colts haven’t exactly lit up the league with him either. Here’s the stats ripped from Pro Football Reference, both yesterdays game and career side by side. They are pretty similar. I think I would rather have Fitzpatrick on my team this year and ride with Ryan than the alternative, which was get a Darnold or a whoever this year and not bolster the defense. Ryan has panned out just about as good as a number one pick in the draft. As critical as I have been of him, picking a quarterback is a crap shoot at best, and they aren’t the final piece needed for a Super Bowl run. His red zone stats are pretty bad, and third down another sore spot. But unless you have a prospect with unreal accuracy and poise, Ryan is probably just as good (or bad) as you are likely to get.
Luck.jpg

Honest question...what has McDonald done in a game since getting here that anyone sees. I see bad coverage, bad angles, ok tackling and little range. I'd put Fitz at FS, McCain at boundary2, make due at slot and draft a CB high next year. If we're getting killed from the slot, move Fitz into nickel on some downs.

Fitz looks like a difference maker on D. Love a FS with smarts, range, ball skills and tackling...
It's a fair question, unfortunately I feel like out "makeing due" at slot will be a disaster since McCain has been forced to the boundary. I honestly feel like this is the best combination of players at our disposal right now. Tank not maturing and Lippett not recovering has really stunted the growth of this secondary. We need another perimeter man so we can shift McCain back to his natural position and THEN bump TJ to the bench so Fitz can man FS

I loved this kid 3 years when I first saw him play (despite my disdain for Bama), loved it when we drafted him in April, love him today more than ever.

Call me crazy, I think we can poach Patrick Peterson from the Cardinals in a few weeks if they are as inept as they appeared to be against a below average Washington team yesterday.

Tell you the truth, I'd like to get Peterson and Chandler Jones. (both players are 28 years old, Jones turns 29 in January, Peterson turns 29 next July).

Call me even crazier, I think you can send them a combination of Devante Parker, Charles Harris or TJ McDonald plus some draft picks and something could actually happen there.

Clearly salary cap ramifications would make it impossible with Chandler's contract. It's a pipe dream.

Patrick Peterson however, is a possibility. Don't worry though, I'm not giving up a 2nd round pick for him so this is all monday morning jibber jabber.

You know the other team has to agree to the trade, right?

I loved this kid 3 years when I first saw him play (despite my disdain for Bama), loved it when we drafted him in April, love him today more than ever.

Call me crazy, I think we can poach Patrick Peterson from the Cardinals in a few weeks if they are as inept as they appeared to be against a below average Washington team yesterday.

Tell you the truth, I'd like to get Peterson and Chandler Jones. (both players are 28 years old, Jones turns 29 in January, Peterson turns 29 next July).

Call me even crazier, I think you can send them a combination of Devante Parker, Charles Harris or TJ McDonald plus some draft picks and something could actually happen there.

Clearly salary cap ramifications would make it impossible with Chandler's contract. It's a pipe dream.

Patrick Peterson however, is a possibility. Don't worry though, I'm not giving up a 2nd round pick for him so this is all monday morning jibber jabber.

This would be impossible without shedding one of Quinn or Branch.

Some people talk crap thinking we are going to go somewhere with a crappy qb in tannehill.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom