So How Many Of You Still Wanted A Qb In Round 1???? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So How Many Of You Still Wanted A Qb In Round 1????

I wanted Minkah...but a QB in round 2-5 would've been nice as well.

face it, from this point on assuming RT is healthy, Miami is not going to be in a position to draft a "can't miss" QB for the next several years.

It has to hope to get somewhat "lucky" with its draft picks, or have really great intel and/or creative horse trading to get the guy it wants for the future.

We have someone on here who advocates not going against overwhelming odds of past occurrences. (Maybe or maybe not to a fault but that's for another discussion.) Well the odds of a QB who scored 13 or less developing into a franchise QB by most definitions is 0.0% And that's with over 40 or more QBs since the Wonderlic was first administered. I'd have been all for taking him if he lasted til the 3rd round - but then of course we wouldn't have Baker who looks like a keeper!

I wouldn't have picked Lamar Jackson in the first round. I didn't know his Wonderlic score but in listening to him speak a few sentences it doesn't take long to determine he's not overly sharp. In fact, very scary to listen to him talk and think this is the guy do dissect defenses and lead an NFL offense.

However, he has some intriguing physical traits -- to put it mildly -- and obviously works on his game. Jackson never looks the same from one season to the next. The glaring weaknesses go away. I thought he looked markedly better in 2017 than 2016 in terms of pro prospect and in preseason 2018 it was exponentially better still. This preseason he definitely looked like a top NFL prospect. I don't know where that 47% reference came from but it couldn't be a meaningful sample. Jackson's college completion percentage was never great but it improved in 2017 to 59% which is historically above the concern level, unlike Josh Allen, for example.

That is the guy I would have struggled with, if available for the Dolphins. No question I would have taken Mayfield or Darnold. Rosen had lots of red flags including win/loss percentage and third down performance.

Frankly I don't understand this thread. It wasn't as if the Dolphins had opportunity at elite quarterback prospects and passed on them. I could understand it a little bit if Rosen were still there, but he was not. Only Lamar Jackson was a possible but not many people were hyping him toward that portion of the first round.

There are multiple sharp posters here who boosted Jackson as a pro prospect, including Hoops...or that name he uses now. I certainly wouldn't discount it, given the athletic ability and continuing advancement. And if Jackson pans out then nothing Minkah Fitzpatrick does will matter. Jackson is 21 years old.

I loved Derwin James but during the later stages of the draft process came to view Fitzpatrick as a safer pick, a modern day equivalent of Tim Foley with more athletic ability. I rooted for that name as we went to the podium.

Tannehill remains at familiar level. Right now we are winning games in odd regularity with that level. That's great but it makes little sense long term. Cream quarterbacks are so valuable compared to Crowd I would always take a swing in that direction, when available. Never an apology. You hit once and you're set for a decade or more...no adjustments required. Last night I was desperately rooting for Green Bay to lose, since only teams with freak quarterbacks have any chance at that 19-0. Second half comebacks from 20-0 down are not available to Crowd types like Ryan Tannehill. They are possible for Aaron Rodgers. I wasn't particularly surprised.

I want to apologize if i offended anyone with my post. Im just tired of all the optimism every year at the beginning of the year and then we end up wanting more but dont make playoffs at the end. I would settle for a second round playoff appearace. Even if we lose in the second playoff game. To me that would make for a successfull season.btw i believe tannehill has hit his ceiling. And thats not good enough to make it far in the playoffs. Id be happy if he proves me wrong.

I wouldn't have picked Lamar Jackson in the first round. I didn't know his Wonderlic score but in listening to him speak a few sentences it doesn't take long to determine he's not overly sharp. In fact, very scary to listen to him talk and think this is the guy do dissect defenses and lead an NFL offense.

However, he has some intriguing physical traits -- to put it mildly -- and obviously works on his game. Jackson never looks the same from one season to the next. The glaring weaknesses go away. I thought he looked markedly better in 2017 than 2016 in terms of pro prospect and in preseason 2018 it was exponentially better still. This preseason he definitely looked like a top NFL prospect. I don't know where that 47% reference came from but it couldn't be a meaningful sample. Jackson's college completion percentage was never great but it improved in 2017 to 59% which is historically above the concern level, unlike Josh Allen, for example.

That is the guy I would have struggled with, if available for the Dolphins. No question I would have taken Mayfield or Darnold. Rosen had lots of red flags including win/loss percentage and third down performance.

Frankly I don't understand this thread. It wasn't as if the Dolphins had opportunity at elite quarterback prospects and passed on them. I could understand it a little bit if Rosen were still there, but he was not. Only Lamar Jackson was a possible but not many people were hyping him toward that portion of the first round.

There are multiple sharp posters here who boosted Jackson as a pro prospect, including Hoops...or that name he uses now. I certainly wouldn't discount it, given the athletic ability and continuing advancement. And if Jackson pans out then nothing Minkah Fitzpatrick does will matter. Jackson is 21 years old.

I loved Derwin James but during the later stages of the draft process came to view Fitzpatrick as a safer pick, a modern day equivalent of Tim Foley with more athletic ability. I rooted for that name as we went to the podium.

Tannehill remains at familiar level. Right now we are winning games in odd regularity with that level. That's great but it makes little sense long term. Cream quarterbacks are so valuable compared to Crowd I would always take a swing in that direction, when available. Never an apology. You hit once and you're set for a decade or more...no adjustments required. Last night I was desperately rooting for Green Bay to lose, since only teams with freak quarterbacks have any chance at that 19-0. Second half comebacks from 20-0 down are not available to Crowd types like Ryan Tannehill. They are possible for Aaron Rodgers. I wasn't particularly surprised.

They stated they had the opportunity to move up in the draft and declined.

I want to apologize if i offended anyone with my post. Im just tired of all the optimism every year at the beginning of the year and then we end up wanting more but dont make playoffs at the end. I would settle for a second round playoff appearace. Even if we lose in the second playoff game. To me that would make for a successfull season.btw i believe tannehill has hit his ceiling. And thats not good enough to make it far in the playoffs. Id be happy if he proves me wrong.

Yeah he's just 9-1, in the last 10 games he's played. DO BETTER TANNEHILL!!

And tired of peoples optimism?! Sad.

Edit 8-1

Last edited:
isnt it 8-1?

Statements from that guy above like "i believe Thill has hit his ceiling" are just so ludicrous. basedon WHAT?

(dont answer please, i donteven want to bother "arguing" that. sheesh... )

Seems as though the Tannehill Hate Train pulled into the MInkah station.

tl;dr : Lamar Jackson throws the football like a ham sandwich in a deli and is also a moron.

We need to keep things in perspective as it's only been one game. We shouldn't get too high or low on any player right now. It's just one game. Just hope for consistency and improvement from all our players.

It was encouraging to see Minkah and Tannehill play well.

Also, if you have the opportunity to draft a great prospect, you draft them, regardless of what you have at QB. It's the most important position on the team.

We need to keep things in perspective as it's only been one game.....

Also, if you have the opportunity to draft a great prospect, you draft them, regardless of what you have at QB. It's the most important position on the team.

agree w first point, not the last. teams pass on (or trade their pick for) great QB prospects all the time when they already have a very good one.

You guys are missing the bigger picture here....The Browns are still encapable of making the simpliest of decisions with the first pick for years. When I see Darnold, I see Cleveland....lol.

Life's not so bad...

And sub.500 for his career. We all can pick and choose.

I think the point about the 9-1 stat in the last 10 games is that Adam Gase has shown that he can win games at a pretty high clip when he has a quality starting quarterback. And I think what it says about Tannehill is that he can win games at a pretty high clip when he has A QUALITY HEAD COACH.

We'll see how this season goes, but I think that just might hold.

Back
Top Bottom