So if Tua opted out ??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So if Tua opted out ???

gregorygrant83

Active Roster
Reaction score
If Tua had opted out would the clock not start ticking on his rookie deal until 2021? He's healthy now, so it's pointless, but if he was on a schedule where he might miss most of or maybe all of the 2020 season would it have made sense to have him opt out and in essence be a 2021 draft pick selected a year early? I assume opted out players can still do rehab work at the facilities if needed.

Opting out is a players option not a team option.

Yes, I understand that it would Tua's and his agent's option/choice, but would it make sense to have considered it if he were going to be out for the year? Baisically putting off the start of his NFL career to 2021 but still getting some money this year to live off while rehabbing.

If he is as good as he was at Alabama, it would cost him millions. He would cost himself a year on his new contract if he opts out.

If he is as good as he was at Alabama, it would cost him millions. He would cost himself a year on his new contract if he opts out.

So it might benefit the team in some ways but not really in the best interest of the player. Is that correct?

What would happen? I would burn the stadium to the ground with me in it or just wait until next year. Could go either way honestly.

But on a serious note, it would give him more rehab time, which wouldnt be bad either. I am ok either way but I prefer that he plays.

Dudes at practice.

I know he's at practice and healthy... I asked if he had been on schedule to miss the season would it have made sense to push his rookie season back to 2021 by opting out instead of just going on the IR for a year, starting the clock ticking on his rookie deal in 2021 instead of 2020. I noticed rookie Lucas Niang, who is coming off a 2019 injury is opting out.

Albert Wilson was also at practice before he opted out, as seen in some of the footage they were posting on Dolphins twitter. If he did, it is what it is, wouldnt feel any ill will toward him. Sure would be disappointed we wouldn't get to see him play. Today is the deadline for opting out, im sure a few more players around the league will opt out, hopefully no more of our guys.

So it might benefit the team in some ways but not really in the best interest of the player. Is that correct?

Yes, it would benefit the team GREATLY cap wise. Definitely not in his best interest to delay his next contract by a year. With so many 36-40 year old QB's still active and making big dollars, he'd miss out on one year of that kind of money because an opt out.

It makes more sense for marginal players without the big money contracts. Although conversely, those big money players also need the additional money a lot less than the bottom of the roster players.

Yes, it would benefit the team GREATLY cap wise. Definitely not in his best interest to delay his next contract by a year. With so many 36-40 year old QB's still active and making big dollars, he'd miss out on one year of that kind of money because an opt out.

It makes more sense for marginal players without the big money contracts. Although conversely, those big money players also need the additional money a lot less than the bottom of the roster players.

Thanks for answering the question. I was wonder what the pros and cons would be.

From my understanding is that your contract goes back a year. If you are a QB on a rookie deal you want that 2nd deal as soon as possible. If I’m him and not in a high risk group I’m not opting out to get to the 2nd deal.

From my understanding is that your contract goes back a year. If you are a QB on a rookie deal you want that 2nd deal as soon as possible. If I’m him and not in a high risk group I’m not opting out to get to the 2nd deal.

Thanks.

It up too players and how they feel about there's health. It not my job to debate if players should play or not. I can only worry about players. Who is playing..

Back
Top Bottom