So Kiper said “Dolphins crushed it?” | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So Kiper said “Dolphins crushed it?”

Everyone that is talking about the draft is saying that we crushed it. Everything that I read from everyone says that Miami either had the best draft or was in the conversation of having the best draft.
That’s what I’ve been reading too. This my confusion with a lot of the Debbie downers on the boards. Seems to me the experts would know…. I mean heck, even Cowherd liked what we did….

Here are some opinions that cost you nothing brother

Here are some opinions that cost you nothing brother

Gracias

My only problem is that they drafted guys with known injury issues and Miami is already full of very brittle players. Id have shunned any player with a serious injury that kept them off the field for more than a week or 5

My only problem is that they drafted guys with known injury issues and Miami is already full of very brittle players. Id have shunned any player with a serious injury that kept them off the field for more than a week or 5
Everyone either has an injury history if they didn’t face “real competition” in college.

Miami Dolphins: A​

Top needs: DE, WR, OLB

The Dolphins came into this draft with an extra first- and second-round pick (and added a valuable 2023 first-rounder) and had clear needs to fill. They had to get some receiving help for Tua Tagovailoa. They needed a young, talented pass-rusher to put into their edge-rushing rotation. And if they are going to move Robert Hunt to guard full-time, they had to draft a potential starter at offensive tackle.

That's why I like what general manager Chris Grier did. Tagovailoa struggled as a rookie last season, but there should be no way he averages 6.3 yards per attempt again in 2021. The addition of No. 5 overall pick Jaylen Waddle (and free-agent signing Will Fuller V) means he now has multiple playmakers to run after the catch and to target on deep balls. Waddle was the fifth-ranked player on my board. Jaelan Phillips (18) is a silky-smooth edge rusher with the physical traits to average 10 sacks per season. As I wrote Thursday night, he likely would have been a top-10 pick if he didn't have an injury history.

I really liked their Day 2 haul as well. Jevon Holland (36) will compete to start at free safety. Liam Eichenberg (42) has a good chance to be their Day 1 right tackle in place of Hunt; he was a three-year starter at left tackle for Notre Dame. Tight end Hunter Long (81) is an awesome player who will compete as a blocker and catch a few passes up the seam. He's one of my favorites in this class, and he's a nice complement for Mike Gesicki, who had 703 receiving yards last season.

Grier didn't have any picks in Rounds 4, 5 or 6, but seventh-round pick Larnel Coleman (231) has a chance to stick on the team as a swing tackle. I thought he might go in Round 5.

Looking at this roster, I don't think it's far away from being a Super Bowl contender, and the Dolphins hit their major needs. The other major bonus is that they ended up moving down three spots from No. 3 after some maneuvering and picked up that 2023 first-round pick. This is a stellar class overall, and the AFC East is going to be a fun race in 2021.

Miami's Full 2021 Draft Class​

ROUND/PICKNAMEPOSCOLLEGE
1/6Jaylen WaddleWRAlabama
1/18Jaelan PhillipsDEMiami
2/36Jevon HollandSOregon
2/42Liam EichenbergOTNotre Dame
3/81Hunter LongTEBoston College
7/231Larnel ColemanOTUMass
7/244Gerrid DoaksRBCincinnati

Miami Dolphins

The pick: Hunter Long, TE, Boston College (No. 81)

Long was one of the most productive tight ends in the country last season, and he's probably already a better blocker than Dolphins starter Mike Gesicki. He's a complete tight end. I love this pick for Miami, which is trying to help Tua Tagovailoa in Year 2.

I also like the Dolphins' selections of safety Jevon Holland (No. 36) and offensive tackle Liam Eichenberg (No. 42) in the second round, though they both went a little higher than I thought they would. I'm also knocking Miami just a little bit because it had to trade a 2022 third-rounder to take Eichenberg. Getting a steal with Long, though, is good enough to have the Dolphins here.

Back
Top Bottom