So Many Holes - Wide Reciever | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So Many Holes - Wide Reciever

Jorser

Insider
Reaction score
May be the first in a series if I take the time.

This team is loaded with holes (opportunity...... to the optimist). My sheets have 6 (one is the nickel back), starting positions up for grabs, and 17 total available roster spots, more if they lose someone unexpected like Travis Minor or Sage Rosenfels. This is the highest turnover in years. That being said, we may see an unprecedented number of free agents join the team. Logically we can expect no more than 4 draft choices to make the team if we keep Ogunleye, and 6 if we lose him. They may package picks to move up or down etc. , but these numbers are close. There may be 4 or 5 guys on the bubble, that are already here or have been here, i.e. T. Buck, that may ultimately make it or re-sign. That leaves a remaining 7 or 8 holes to fill through free agency, not to mention players added to create competition that don't make it and/or to the practice squad. All of the talk is about the offensive line, where yes, they may add as many as three free agents. However, wide receiver could still be in the equation, particulalry if you assume that we are drafting one with our top pick. I for one may be uncomfortable relying completely on a rookie to be the #2 receiver. Derrius Thompson may have something that we did not see last year, but is better suited as the #3, where he can use his size in a possession role over the middle and on short slants and out routes. No other player in the mix, Tolver, Minnis, Newson, or Simmons is qualified for full time #2 at least not likely this year. There will be as many as three new recievers, one being a return guy. Simmons will be in for the fight of his life, and will likely lose out to the new retun man for his roster spot. He is probably not the same player, post injury. And was not that special to begin with.

I believe that we may target someone at WR, a name that is known, but not a break the bank household name. No TO, Darrell Jackson, or Meshawn. If we can land a reliable, steady, veteran guy that can hold the #2 spot down until the rookie is ready to start, it would be a good move. Three names to consider in order of probablity (in my opinion):

1)Dez White - Chicago. Florida native, Chicago connection. Good speed, was #2 in Chicago and can return kicks.

2) Kevin Dyson - Carolina. A little older than preferred, but is a capable player. With their signing of Steve Smith to a large contract, may not want to pay the veteran.

3) Tai Streets - San Fransisco. Also #2 there behind TO. Big receiver in the mold of what they may likely draft, so not sure he fits, and may be more money than the others.

Any thoughts on these guys or any others that are practical considerations? Remember, with all of the money going to the line, this #2 WR spot may not bring major bucks. Not that any of these candidates will come super cheap either...........

i think we are going to end up with cosey coelman and Chris villareal. we will make a splash for woody but woody da wabbit chooses those losers in buffalo.

WR no problem. just draft Rashaun Woods.

The best way to solve the WR problem is to draft one in the first round. As for the #2 WR this season, I think we will go with Derrius Thompson (unfortunately) and the first round pick will be the #3 WR. I don't think we have enough money to sign two guards and then go out and get a WR who can start, so I think we may be stuck with Thompson for another season.

1.Dez White- this guy never lived up to potential. He's big and fast with plenty of skills, but he just hasn't seemed to live it up. I'd love to have White as a #3 WR.

2.Kevin Dyson- I has him after Hilliard last year as Price and Coles seemed unrealistic. What is he, 6'1/200 or something with good speed? Unfortunately, he can't seem to stay healthy and proved that even more this year with Carolina, though he came back for the Super Bowl.

3.Tai Streets- He's proven to be a respectable #2 WR, but I still prefer him as a #3.

The bottom line is that I still want a WR in the 1st round(Reggie Williams, foo). :up:

I say we draft at keast (2-3) WRs in the draft a 1st roundr and then some chances in the mid rounds, 4th, maybe even 3rd depending on if we lose Ogunleye.

I like Samie Parker in the later rounds. He has all the potential to be a steal, but is being overlooked in this class for Ming-type receivers. I'm not sure what he measured in at, but I believe it was around 180 and he's near 5'11 with 4.4 speed. I think he'd make a great return man.

That's probably what we'll look at in the mid-late rounds. A kick returner. If Bernard Berrian were to be there in round 4(I don't think so), I'd be happy as hell if we got him that late.

Ok great I agree we need some wideouts and yes we need to take some chances. We def. need some guards in FA. But what about tackle? Wade Smith is getting better and can play one, but still is not established as being a very good tackle. Todd Wade wants a lot of money and he knows he can probably get it with him being good, but not great, but probably the best tackle option for a lot of teams in FA. Anybody have some insight into the tackle situation?

we can easily get a starting #2 WR in the draft....Any of those guys that will be available at #20 should be good enough to start in front of Thompson...Williams, Clayton, Woods, Evans, etc.

I think most of our free agent $$$ will go to the line, and we'll draft a WR.

But, among the free agent wideouts, here's my take:
White - Would be a good bargain buy and could be the type that just needs a change of scenery to convince him to put it all together.
Dyson - Pass. Hasn't been good in two years. That's a bad sign for a guy who's still under 30.
Streets - Big guy, good hands, but with TO on his way out, SF will probably go out of their way to keep him.

Back
Top Bottom