So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So... we'll be about 23M over the cap. How do we address this?

Cutting Byron pre-June 1st would create 3.5M in space for 2023, space that we'd have to spend on his replacement more than likely... Just using my general figure of 1M for a street free agent, means we'd gain a mere 2.5 by cutting him, and honestly, I'd prefer this to the post June 1st cut that would be a loan against 2024.
But a healthy Byron is still my preferred choice, and we have until June 1st to see if he's ready to go, because yes... I do want to win in 2023, and a healthy Byron gets us there faster than a cut Byron and a 3.5M free agent type. (Bethel or Crossen). Boundary CBs are not cheap.

X isn't as problem for next year exactly... but if he puts up a second iffy year next year, we'll take it in the shorts. He'll have over 20M as a dead cap hit.
The X contract re-do was a big mistake IMHO . Yes he had a couple great seasons , but I would have traded him at that point when his value was high and saved the money.

The X contract re-do was a big mistake IMHO . Yes he had a couple great seasons , but I would have traded him at that point when his value was high and saved the money.
I wanted to trade him that offseason and draft Pat Surtain II

Cutting Byron pre-June 1st would create 3.5M in space for 2023, space that we'd have to spend on his replacement more than likely... Just using my general figure of 1M for a street free agent, means we'd gain a mere 2.5 by cutting him, and honestly, I'd prefer this to the post June 1st cut that would be a loan against 2024.
But a healthy Byron is still my preferred choice, and we have until June 1st to see if he's ready to go, because yes... I do want to win in 2023, and a healthy Byron gets us there faster than a cut Byron and a 3.5M free agent type. (Bethel or Crossen). Boundary CBs are not cheap.

X isn't as problem for next year exactly... but if he puts up a second iffy year next year, we'll take it in the shorts. He'll have over 20M as a dead cap hit.

When you are doing cap . . . A key thing to remember is to not get so invested in the "credit" aspect.

Like it or not, that money is gone. And while cutting Byron Jones creates a proverbial "dead cap hit" . . . That number can be finessed a million times over. I don't like it, but it's how this thing works.

The number that matters is the $14 million in unguaranteed cash salary you save by releasing him. That's the only number that can be added to our overall cap. Every other ounce of cash he has made from us is already built into the cap.

Paying a guy $14 million because the feeling is you've already paid for his service on credit and you want to force a return is a big mistake.

No guaranteed salary means Dolphins can cut ties freely. Any dead cap hits or acceleration or any of that stuff is just a finesse of the cap.

I dont see how we are in a position to sign any QB to a big contract in the next 2-3 years.

If we do our team will be totally tapped for funds.

Cap projected to go up over 30 million next year with new tv deal and gambling revenue pooring in. From there it’s projected to increase 20 million a season capping out at 328 million in 2027. Cap is not an issue. It’s the teams that remortgage and keep kicking it down after 2027 when in starts to become stagnant as it won’t continue to go up that much forever. Until then there’s no team that will be cash strapped in the near future.

When you are doing cap . . . A key thing to remember is to not get so invested in the "credit" aspect.

Like it or not, that money is gone. And while cutting Byron Jones creates a proverbial "dead cap hit" . . . That number can be finessed a million times over. I don't like it, but it's how this thing works.

The number that matters is the $14 million in unguaranteed cash salary you save by releasing him. That's the only number that can be added to our overall cap. Every other ounce of cash he has made from us is already built into the cap.

Paying a guy $14 million because the feeling is you've already paid for his service on credit and you want to force a return is a big mistake.

No guaranteed salary means Dolphins can cut ties freely. Any dead cap hits or acceleration or any of that stuff is just a finesse of the cap.
Also true... but if he's healthy, he's worth that.
As a true cover corner, he shuts his man down more often than Hoard does... he just doesn't create turnovers.
When he's on and healthy, he makes Hoard much better.

Last edited:
That's why I put this together. We really need to get this across to the casual fan. Many of them think restructuring means 'make it go away'... instead of 'delay it, destroying the future'.
Understood brother but in 2024 going forward should see good cap increases from the new tv deal. :ffic:

Good to see you brother. :ffic:

One last possibility... and believe me, I saved this for last on purpose, because it's highly speculative... bear with me.

The Dolphins could reduce Byron's cap hit in a way that we have not discussed-- namely, an agreed upon pay cut.

It could work something like this... (remember, this is HIGHLY speculative)

The Dolphins approach Byron's agent. "Let Byron know that we are considering releasing him, we don't think he would get a 13.5M offer on the open market. We'd like to keep him on the team but think he is overpaid. What would Byron say to a 4M paycut (make up your own amount here).
Byron and his agent kick this around and the agent tells Byron that his market has cooled due to his injury and 9.5M/year seems more than he might get elsewhere.
The agent responds, "Well, we'll agree to the paycut if you guarantee the salary in total upon signing".

Deals like this are a lot more common than many fans realize. Most players prefer bonuses to anything else, and guaranteed years as a second preference. Almost every paycut ever negotiated comes with a guaranteed salary.

We cut Byron, we would save 3.5 against the cap... but we could accomplish the same thing by negotiating his pay downwards. I think the Dolphins will try this... Byron could decline and force them to make a move, but most aging players will take this kind of deal.

As a true cover corner, he shuts his man down more often than Hoard does... he just doesn't create turnovers.

Listening to Sam Madison speak on it, and him seemingly retained, suggests that relationship isn't on the best of terms.

I'd agree that when healthy, he's a quality starting CB. But I just got a hunch more and more will leak out on how Byron handled this entire situation and how he didn't want to push through discomfort to play.

When you have guys like X and Terron, who played through tough injuries all year, just to watch Byron finesse Miami with a restructure and then surprise surgery and then not seeing the field all year. . . Not sure he's gonna be the most welcome person back.

I have been a Byron Jones guy, but I have him as cut (somebody could also send Miami a token day 3 pick to gamble on him without having to give him guaranteed money). While that means we won't see the direct impact of that entire $14 million as soon as the transaction hits . . . We know in the overall scope of the cap, it won't be there.

As for other cap saving measures, the restructures serve as the easiest method.

You are absolutely correct when you say the way the contracts were structured are smart and it's better to pay money as you go vs. credit.

But they are structured that way because you can restructure them on a as you need to basis and get cap relief when you need to.

Miami was the #1 team in the AFC with their QB playing at a high level on a rookie deal. They took a swing probably a year earlier than they wanted to but hell for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 22 years, I can't blame em. The QB stays healthy in that Gbay game and into the playoffs I think we are playing this weekend. Tough break.

Now they will need to restructure a few deals, potentially make a trade or 2 and really have a solid draft. I also expect them to look at the cut line harder vs. FA to build their compensatory bank up in 2024. They can be players in FA as well, but it won't be like we saw in 2020 and 2022.

OK Fever.....noticed this in a few posts now.

Is the "W" key on your keyboard broken?

Jason Sanders salary isn't guaranteed so he's an easy cut and the first move we'll be making. Had a great game in Buffalo for sure but the season as whole can't be rewritten with one postseason game. I'd talk to him about coming back but that 3.375M needs to be lopped off immediately.

Contract Notes:
  • $7.52M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2021 salary + 2021 roster bonus + 2022 salary)
  • 2021 Roster Bonus: $1.85M

I have my own thoughts on the salary cap I'll be posting soon enough that are a little different than the OP's.

We're going to be giving up some draft picks to clear cap space this year. No one is giving us a draft pick for Cedrick Wilson’s $7M salary. More like the other way around. I also think the Browns would have an interest in bringing back Ogbah, but we’d have to East $4-5M of that salary. They need to replace Clowney and they don’t have a first round pick so options will be limited for Cleveland.

The lone advantage we have this off season is lack of quality free agents and teams with cash to spend. Some teams will be more interested in trading for vets than spending big on signing bonus’s.

I am still irritated that we signed Ogbah and tagged Gesicki to begin with. Clearly Chris Grier doesn’t have a clue what proper value is. He’s a complete failure and his extensions have been worse than his drafting.

Browns should be looking to wheel and deal.

Not concerned about any of our FA's. I'd love Mostert back but I can't rely on him so I can't worry about RB's, nor am I going to pay one.

This is not an offense that should pay RBs, this is an offense that should make RBs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom