So What... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So What...

As someone who routinely makes the playoffs in fantasy, I have one rule that I've followed for the last decade.... never, ever put Dolphins on your fantasy team. As Dolphins fans we always expect more than we get on the field and it hurts you in fantasy.

I'm in the same boat. Buddies are always snagging Fins players thinking it will be good trade bait. Nope. Keep em. But, in my 14 person league, where you start to scrape the bottom of the barrel by that final round, Preston Williams might be my exception this year.

I read a quote from one of the coaches last week where they talked about the change in DL philosophy. They have gone from shooting gaps to engaging blockers.

That frees up a player like Baker to make plays, rather than getting washed out by a guard.

So when I see that run D, I give credit to Wilkins, Godchauex, Spence, etc. They may not get the stat line, but they get credit in my book.

Also - I saw Wilkins getting double teamed constantly and he didn’t give an inch. If they can get that kid from AZ playing to his potential, the interior DL is pretty fierce. We don’t have edge players though

The run defense was what immediately jumped out at me, as I watched the game. While Wilkins didn't wow you with flash plays he was a force occupying double team blocks. Godchaux was his usual self. I love the stoutness of the entire group of DT's. Excellent start to an anticipated season. Carradine, Ledbetter and Hendrix are guys I think can help in a rotational situation. They all had their moments.

Last edited:
It’s preseason for everyone including our rookie HC who is also learning
Lol...someone who was in the Patriots system for 15 years and has to learn that with scored tied, 2nd and goal at the 6, 1:51 left and the clock just starting to tick down following play is NOT the appropriate use of a timeout would be very concerning. Worthy of a HC making 100 consecutive runs to the T.N.T. wall.

It turns out according to play by play that Atlanta was charged with the timeout and an appropriate use of a timeout by Atlanta. The refs called it wrong on TV saying it was the Dolphins. Concern alleviated.

DTs are pretty good, DEs are terrible, and our Oline minus Tunsil is terrible. Add on to that the uncertainty of the QB position, that adds up to a team that won't win many games at all.

Fortunately, they have a vision of the team they want to build and I like the strategy. They want to build the lines and build inside out with big dudes so we basically go back to the Sparano type of team which would be fine to build towards. It just can't be done in the time frame of just one offseason, so the goal this season is to start with the culture, accountability etc as they continue to augment the lines.

As someone who routinely makes the playoffs in fantasy, I have one rule that I've followed for the last decade.... never, ever put Dolphins on your fantasy team. As Dolphins fans we always expect more than we get on the field and it hurts you in fantasy.

100% True. I have that same rule.

As much as I like Flores the timeout with just under two minutes left and not letting the clock run down was baffling.

Hopefully that is not a reflection of clock management skills moving forward.

First criticism I have of him since becoming HC.
Perhaps he just wanted to see his D play an extra play in that situation? It’s not that far fetched. I think in pre season you want to see as many plays as possible.

It was just preseason game 1 but the run D was damned good last night.

Compare it to the usual gashing they allow with some poor slob of a LB making a dragging tackle 8 yards downfield (looking at you Kiko) and things are looking up. If they can keep it up.

The pass rush and pass defense otoh....
We kinda knew the PR was going to suck unless we can manufacture pressures through scheming. If the o-line isn’t better I’ll be shocked.

Jason Taylor said something similar.

You don't use preseason to get wins, you use it to simulate as much game situations as you can.
I agree w that. Like Atlanta going for 2 on the first TD is was to get practice w that play. I know we don’t know this yet but I have a feeling Flores will be a better game manager than the last two coaches we had.

Perhaps he just wanted to see his D play an extra play in that situation? It’s not that far fetched. I think in pre season you want to see as many plays as possible.
It appears it was a mistake by the officials as to which team called the timeout according to play by play. If it was Miami then I think it would be far fetched for Flores to use a timeout in that situation.

As much as Flores preaches fundamentals, attention to detail, making the right play, doing your job and has players run to a Takes No Talent wall when they don’t for Flores to mismanage a game intentionally like that would be equivalent to an OL missing a block intentionally to give the QB an extra play at trying to escape pressure from the pocket.

Although it does look like some of the OL were intentionally missing blocks to give Rosen practice last night.

It appears it was a mistake by the officials as to which team called the timeout according to play by play. If it was Miami then I think it would be far fetched for Flores to use a timeout in that situation.

As much as Flores preaches fundamentals, attention to detail, making the right play, doing your job and has players run to a Takes No Talent wall when they don’t for Flores to mismanage a game intentionally like that would be equivalent to an OL missing a block intentionally to give the QB an extra play at trying to escape pressure from the pocket.

Although it does look like some of the OL were intentionally missing blocks to give Rosen practice last night.
LOL at the last part - well done.

Back
Top Bottom