Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts

TJ's deal is super cheap and easy to get out of. He was brought in to give the team more hybrid looks and maybe even as a coverage guy on TEs . . . We had both FS go down and had no chance to utilize that strategy.

TJ and Jones being resigned should have zero effect on this team grabbing a FS.

James is enough of an athlete to be that guy, but damn he could be Eric Berry like at SS.
Not sure I would pass on Derwin for anyone other than Minkah and the NC DE.

I just can't see it man but again, I think he'll be gone anyway. Last year the top guard was there too and we didn't take him. Funny I see a mock that has us taking Jackson at 11 which I highly doubt too and then I see another two mock with us going Corner......with Tank and Howard is hard to believe we'd go corner

Ozzy rules!!
Can't have enough CBs in this league. Especially Minkah type who can play FS and help run support.

Walter has us with a CB, fml...

Roquan Smith and Quentin Nelson seem like 2 early candidates for us.

Which usually means they'll be out of reach by the end of the week.

Deep QB class.

Of what I saw during this weekend and i tried to watch every big game tape Roquan smith looked the most valuable to Miami to me. At the end of the season it’s looked to me like range and feel for the position at lb were the primary need. That kid gives you both in spades. His semi final game started out slow but he came on like a house of fire. Now I’m not sure miami is gonna green flag that size in fact I don’t think they will cause he looks sub 6 foot 2 and 230 maybe but if they do I think his nickel range and feel for the position add gives us the most bang for our buck.

It’s not all roses cause inside the tackles he’s highly post snap reactionary and he’s at the 2nd level more run around tbe blocker than stack and shed due to his post snap reactionary play and at times he can even play a little small when guys get their hands on him but that range and that top speed and finish on the ball carrier is hard to deny. And what Miami needs more than anything else.

We are picking top 12 that means these kids need to really validate the pick.

I also like the Ferrell kid for Clemson but he looks a little raw and I’m not sure the athlete will test top 12 worthy but that’s a 43 de all the way. His space redirect i wasn’t in love with but there’s meat on tbe bone there for sure. He covered a back one one play and it was a bit of a wow moment

Rashaad Evans looks like he’s meant to play mostly north and south. I like the athlete I just don’t like his feel for off the los play top 12 worthy.

Minkah Fitzpatrick I loved the way he locked down a quality slot in renfro in the college semi final. That kid looks the part. I’d like to see more safety play tape but I do know bama was able to not have to force a nickel slot corner on tbe field vs that matchup and he won it all night long. I expect that kid to test top 5 worthy even

The guard quenton Nelson for notre dame frankly I expected a better athlete but what I saw was a monster strength player whose technique was a little hit and miss who played with a disposition and finish to him that I loved. Top 12 though? A little rich in most classes I’d say. Feet not quite the level that I’d look for. Former college tackles like scherf and forrest lamp both had better feet. But that dude will finish. I saw him press and sit on multiple guys.

I really like Christian Wilkins he just looks undersized and miamis not in the first round dt market.

At rb I loved Sony michel. I think that would be a great change of pace and complement to Kenyan Drake. But I’m gonna bet with that acceleration and burst and pass catching ability that he’s gonna cost a top 50 pick.

I think chubb has better vision and that he will also be drafted on day 2 but I think in terms of Miami and the pass game scheme asks michels value is more significant. Chubb did look somewhat like frank gore to me however.

Bo scarborough looked like a poor mans Sony Michel but with build up speed instead of quick acceleration. Michel can out flank you.

That’s not a great tape for baker mayfield. Had a feel of a system qb at times. When asked to reset his feet from the pocket he was errant. Feet got happy. Looked better outside the pocket but one thing that stood out to me was his inability to outflank the opposition as a ball carrier. The nfl is full of that type of speed opposition if the threat isn’t there to turn the corner dcs won’t play the read option as honest. The pistol and the spread stuff will be there but it was telling how much he was run down horizontally. I will maintain he’s on tbe board come pick 11 and later even.

Mark Andrews ran two fantastic routes and made two very good plays as a result but Georgia shifted into a higher level athlete on him after and he struggled to separate. When he was open the ball was errant. I’m still a big Andrews fan given the route running the polish and the feet but that was a little bit of an ehh moment.

Derrius juice I didn’t quite see the juice in terms of acceleration to validate a top 15 pick he carried the pile he was very effective but I just don’t see that kind of value. Looks a little undersized to me too.

In terms of strictly what I saw this weekend relative to what I expect a guy to look like to validate a first or 2nd day pick I’d say miamis biggest bang for their buck would be:

Pick 11 lb roquan Smith
2nd round rb Sony Michel
3rd round te mark Andrews

Full disclosure I don’t expect Andrews to be there in the 3rd round

I had tremaine Edmunds as a top 15 target but I don’t love his range enough for it and I see strong side and bear front even ideal fit. Top 12 it’s not enough bang for my buck.

More than anything miami needs range and feel for the position at lb. after that it’s de for the future and while I think ferrell may be that guy out of what I saw he needs to test top 12 worthy.
Great stuff here.. excellent post. Will say this: the more you see of Minkah, the more you will like him. He puts his helmet in on run support (see FSU game), he absolutely will neutralize the best of route runners (see Clemson game) Clemson had NO answer once Renfro was taken away.

Walter has us with a CB, fml...

Roquan Smith and Quentin Nelson seem like 2 early candidates for us.

Which usually means they'll be out of reach by the end of the week.

Deep QB class.
He's had us taking a corner all year. He's become very lazy with his updates. He's predicting picks on what was going on the first month of the year

Ozzy rules!!

One thing I always think about, and I'm sure the front office thinks about, is who would make the biggest immediate impact.

Great running backs seem to impact right off the bat. Barkley and Guice fit that. But, with the way Drake played I think the team just needs someone to complement his style of play.

Nelson, even though he is a guard, could have a big impact because Miami is so weak there and he could maybe be an instant pro-bowl talent.

Smith is a weakside linebacker where the Dolphins currently have Alonso. Could the team trade Alonso with that contract? Alonso could perhaps move back to the middle with McMillan at strongside. That could be a temporary fix. I thought Alonso played better in 2016 in the middle.

Jefferson may be another linebacker to look at. I think his best position could be strong side, but is he worth that 11th spot and would he make a big impact off the bat?

Andrews the tight end could make a pretty nice impact right away, but he's likely more of a late 1st.

I don't like any scenario where Kiko is a starter. Unless he's a starter for the Jets or Bills.

With the advent of Chase Allen and the probable availability of Nick DeLuca in the 6th round, I wouldn't want to use a high pick on LB; especially considering we are stuck with Kiko for one more year before we can cut him and get a little cap relief. DeLuca has durability issues, but he may be the most talented and skilled LB in this class. You can watch him play for NDSU on the 6th on ESPN 2 in the FCS championship game. This is pretty much the same NDSU Bison team that beat the Iowa Hawkeyes in Iowa last year. Good stuff.

If we miss Andrews, check out Andrew Vollert. Right now, he is enormously underrated. That may change when the scouts really start doing their homework, however, he is from a small FCS school and might still be available with our 4th or 6th round pick.

Though I have to admit I am very high on Andrews, as long as we can get a capable TE, that unlike Thomas, can actually do his job...Get open, actually make the catch when he is open, or even with he's not, and hopefully can block when needed.

He's had us taking a corner all year. He's become very lazy with his updates. He's predicting picks on what was going on the first month of the year

Ozzy rules!!

Yeah, Charlie's always comes out of the gates all crazy then manages to nail it at the end.

2 more highly rated QBs just declared for the draft. Darnold and Rosen just declared. There’s going to be a run of QBs being drafted in the top 10.

There’s going to be a run of qbs drafted in the top 3 forget top 10

Probably chubb and Fitzpatrick and Barkley the first none qbs off the board all top 6

It’s gonna be a painful 5 slot wait

Last edited:
Trade up candidates in the top 6 being darnold rosen allen Barkley chubb

If Miami traded up I’d bet it would be for chubb primary Barkley secondary

They will have top 5 grades on both

In all honesty I’d rather them trade down from 11 and pick up more draft picks. Or hopefully pick up a LB. But with this FO I don’t know which way they’ll go.

Back
Top Bottom