Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by circumstances, Jan 1, 2018.

1. dolphinheel

dolphinheel A True Fan

I believe with everything in my spirit he’s our guy. Can’t miss prospect in our D, but especially if we go 3-4 as I’ve been hearing.

2. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think it'd be a mistake to move Tunsil again so I'd have to go with option two

Ozzy rules!!

3. Danny

First, there's no such thing as a "can't miss prospect" and two, we're not going to a 3-4 defense as long as Suh is here

Ozzy rules!!

4. Danny

btw, here are their first 18 picks

1. Cleveland Browns - QB Sam Darnold, USC - We all know this will be a quarterback, the only question is which one. We can only assume John Dorsey and Hue Jackson will work in tandem to identify the top passer. Jackson previously discussed his height threshold (6’2), potentially eliminating Baker Mayfield. Peter King cited a scouting source stating Dorsey would fall in love with Josh Allen… but I just can’t. The Darnold versus Rosen debate will rage on for months.

2. New York Giants - QB Josh Rosen, UCLA - With Dave Gettleman in charge, this could absolutely be an offensive lineman or defensive lineman. But Gettleman has been great at finding mid, late or undrafted talents at offensive line. The time is now for the Giants to take a quarterback. Teams need to take advantage of picking in the top two when quarterback is even slightly a need.

3. Indianapolis Colts - EDGE Bradley Chubb, NC State - The Colts have a number of non-guaranteed contract decisions to make on the defensive side of the ball. The goal of this pick is to find a prospect who creates big plays. Saquon Barkley does that on offense, and Jim Irsay insinuated he’d be in favor of this pick, but the perceived best edge rusher in the country would be ideal as well.

4. Cleveland Browns (from HOU) - RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State - The previous regime would not have spent a top-five selection on a running back. Dorsey might not either, after drafting Kareem Hunt outside of the top two rounds and signing Spencer Ware on a futures with the Chiefs. But these are “football guys,” right?

5. Denver Broncos - QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma - Paxton Lynch is not it. The Broncos will certainly be in the veteran quarterback market. With that said, there’s plenty of pressure on John Elway to nail a quarterback evaluation. When is the next time the Broncos will be drafting in the top 5? Take advantage of it if there’s a quarterback worthy of the selection.

6. New York Jets - CB Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama - Fitzpatrick could absolutely be selected earlier. I would be surprised if he’s drafted early as a true safety. This is a similar conversation as Jalen Ramsey a few years ago. Corners are more valuable.

7. Tampa Bay Bucs - T Connor Williams, Texas - Self-evaluation needs to insert itself. I know Jason Licht drafted Donovan Smith in the early second round just a few years ago. But a left tackle with slow feet is a bad combination, especially when paired with a quarterback who can be slow to process/deliver/move at times.

8. Chicago Bears - LB Roquan Smith, Georgia - The Bears are a difficult team to project for. They are “good” at many spots. In this case, they update a spot that featured multiple players due to injuries over the last few years. Plus, Smith produces Patrick Willis vibes.

9/10. San Francisco 49ers *Coin flip* - G Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame - Joe Staley is still playing at a high level, but with his age it would not be surprising to see the 49ers draft a LT in waiting. Instead, Nelson instantly turns a weakness into a strength at one of the interior spots.

9/10. Oakland Raiders *Coin flip* - T Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame - Donald Penn is good. Donald Penn will be 35 years old next season. One purpose of the draft is to replace high priced, declining players on the roster. Perhaps that is the move here.

11. Miami Dolphins - S Derwin James, FSU - I polled Dolphins fans on Twitter on who they wanted to be picked here. Some said an edge rusher. Others said corner. But the overriding name was James. I guess the Dolphins want to run three safety looks. I wanted to give them Marcus Davenport, but this doesn’t appear to be a franchise that uses early round picks on smaller program prospects.

12. Cincinnati Bengals - T Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan - Taylor Moton earned high praise last year, but that was at right tackle. Okorafor is the one who locked down the left side for the last two seasons and played at a very high level. The Bengals need to self-scout and realize they need offensive line help despite spending high picks on those spots.

13. Washington Redskins - C Billy Price, Ohio State - Daniel Jeremiah called Price one of the better prospects he’s seen at the position in the last decade. Center might not be a weakness, but why not turn it into a strength?

14. Green Bay Packers - EDGE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson - As of now, we don’t even know who the Packers defensive coordinator is. The Packers need to get younger on the edge

15. Arizona Cardinals - QB Josh Allen, Wyoming - The Cardinals do not have a quarterback on their roster. Allen could go earlier, he could go later. He could be ready, he could sit. Right now, I have no idea.

16. Baltimore Ravens - WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama - Every year we suggest Ozzie Newsome could select an Alabama player. Sometimes that statement is met with an eye roll. But then it happens, and this is a position of need.

17. Los Angeles Chargers - T Orlando Brown, Oklahoma - Brown is a mammoth. The Chargers have one of the better defenses in the NFL on paper and need help at right tackle.

18. Seattle Seahawks - S Ronnie Harrison, Alabama - The Seahawks are going through a significant change. After shifting from Marshawn Lynch to Russell Wilson carrying the offense, the Seahawks defense will be altered this offseason. Perhaps to the point of no Kam Chancellor, No Richard S

Ozzy rules!!

Albert Romano likes this.
  5. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Derwin James solves alot of problems, one thing not mentioned is moving TjMcD to SS/LB position thus going 4-3-4 to 4-2-5 or big nickel without substituting.

joenhre, josephreese and Lovethefish like this.
  6. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

I don't see this 3/4 talk.
    Wake is a DE especially given age factor.
    Suh is a 4-3 DT. Godcheaux 4-3 DT. Branch is a DE.
    Phillips not sure he can handle 40 snaps NT
    We have 1 LB on our roster worth anything and he has never played a down in NFL.

miamiron and Danny like this.
  7. Lovethefish

Agree here. If James is there....

8. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

Yeah, I'd be OK with that James kid...I've seen him a few times.

9. hoops

hoops exited stage left Hammered

They’d be firing burke if we were going 34

We aren’t

Albert Romano and rickd13 like this.
  10. hoops

I read something that said Denver has asked for baker mayfield to be placed on their coaching staffs senior bowl roster. Can only hope that he goes in front of us.

It would help our cause. Something tells me that play is posturing though at pick 6

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  11. Lovethefish

Here is my somewhat plausible, definitely favorable draft projection:

Browns- Darnold- Browns have right management team- they love Darnolds Intangibles.

Giants- Rosen- don't believe the support Eli - one more run- last time they picked second set them up for 10+ years and 2 rings.

Colts- Chubb- need Def help. Luck will be back- possible OL here but Chubb too good to pass.

Browns- Barkley - in less than an hour the Browns have their backfield set.

Broncos- Allen- Elway loves big arms. Too much talent to pass.

Jets- Mayfield- Jets need to be relevant. Mayfield gives the town something to talk about.

Bucs-Orlando Brown- Bucs need to keep Jameis upright. Minkah a thought here but Bucs think they have Orlando Pace.

Bears- Sutton- Trubisky showed some sparks-- he needs supporting cast. The Bears need someone to stretch field for Howard & Cohen. Sutton is a big target.

49ers- C Ridley-- 49ers are hitched to Jimmy Garrop- they want to give him a reliable WR. 24 irrelevant. It's a 5-7 year league anyway.
    49ers invested Def last year. Look to help young QB

Raiders - D Guice. Gruden was brought to fix the Offense. Guice takes pressure off the QB. Guice only Sec RB w- 3+ 250 yard games. Gruden saw impact of young RBs this year.

Dolphins: Minkah Fitzpatrick. Board falls beautifully: options:
    Minkah, Derwin, R Smith, Nelson, Payne.
    Minkah too clean of a prospect to pass up. Can play safety/ slot Nickel / makes defense immediately better.

Albert Romano likes this.
  12. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

That would be great... Fitzpatrick could be an Earl Thomas type, no?

Lovethefish likes this.
  13. Teenwolf

Teenwolf You are an animal

Let Landry walk and sign Calvin Ridley - a true deep threat. Fix the OL in free agency. Sign linebacker and edge rusher in rnd 2 & 3.

14. Birdmond

Birdmond A True Fan Donator

Ridley, Giuice and Sutton would really have to have amazing combines to be top 10 draft picks. I don’t see it happening but it would be perfect if it did.

15. Lovethefish

Yes, its a long way from probable...
    My thinking is that we usually see 2 WRs go top 15..

On RB side, looking back past 3-4 drafts, I dont see a RB that has disappointed. Its a fairly easy position to project. Anyone who didnt think Todd Gurley wasnt an absolute beast just doesnt watch enough football. I feel safe saying that Barkley Guice Michel will have very productive careers.

Ridley - it took me some time to warm up to Ridley because when I look at NFL WRs- I see top 5-7 guys and the rest all seem about the same to me.
    Julio, Hopkins, Brown, Odell maybe AJ and then I see the rest. IS there that much of difference between guys like Crabtree, Landry, Alshon, Sanders, TY, Etc Etc?
    That being said, Ridley is another sure fire 7 year starter in this league - he is smooth, fast enough, great hands, great kid. He may not be Julio but he is a certainty.

Little off topic but someone referred to a kid as "hes a lock great pick"
    I would say there are a couple of locks in this draft for sure: Nelson, Barkley, Ridley all locks to be B+ better starters with pro bowl potential. Of course there are others.

16. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come A True Fan

You have it all wrong.

Wake had a couple great years with the Dolphins as an OLB and played LB in college. He was dropping into zone coverage this last year and he looked pretty good I thought. There is a very good chance that he would be even more effective standing up than in his 4-3 stance.

Suh couldn't possibly project better as a 5-tech other than growing a couple inches taller. He would be just as effective in that role as JJ Watt.

Godcheaux I agree wouldn't fit because he just isn't strong enough to play a 0-tech, but he had a darn good rookie year and he came out as junior so his trade value would be good. Might even find a trade partner with a team converting to 4-3 defense like might happen in Indy. Henry Anderson is pretty much a 5-tech only, and a damn good one. There could be a way for the Dolphins to sweeten a player for player trade and make it work.

When Branch came out it was widely believed he would be drafted by a 3-4 team and play OLB. I wholeheartedly agree with that line of thinking and I believe he would be much more effective standing up, and his combine and workout numbers greatly indicate he has the athleticism and quick feet to play LB.

Phillips projects really nicely as a strong pass rushing 5-tech, not a NT, although he could play it in a pinch because that was his position at Oklahoma, NT on a three man front.

Charles Harris is definitely an undersized 4-3 end and would benefit from the position switch.

I would even keep Stephone Anthony on the roster and let him be mentored by Cam Wake to be a passing down speed rusher. He may actually be good at it with his 4.5 speed, and he is a longer LB.

The guy a really like as 5-tech is Vincent Taylor. I think he would flourish in a rotation as a 5-tech. You like guys a little taller but Taylor has 34.5 arms and huge hands and he has the feet to play 3-4 end.

Timmons has to go, and Kiko needs to be relgated to depth in 2018 and cut in 2019.

Chase Allen needs a veteran to compete with, so maybe a guy like Derrick Johnson who KC is probably making a cap casualty.

Raekwon would be the key to everything, other than drafting Vita Vea at 11. Raekwon, or someone else would have to be an every down LB. You would need that one ILB who can do everything well to become a dominant defense.

Draft Nick Deluca with our 6th round pick and we have depth at the LB position as well. Deluca may just be the best LB in this year's draft that you have never heard of. He isn't going to be drafted high because of durability issues. He made plays this past year but not like before. He was playing most of the year with a torn meniscus and had to have his knee drained multiple times. Deluca could actually play any LB position in a 3-4. He has the size,speed, and intelligence to do it all. I think he is invited to the senior bowl. I hope he doesn't play. He needs to let that knee heal. He should just do a late pro day.

Of course the Dolphins should sign Vontae Davis to play center field. Vontae has always projected as baddass FS. He is a vicious tackler. McDonald needs to become a coverage LB in this scheme and shut down TE's and Patriot RB's for a change.

Sign a low cost backup DT that can play NT in case Vea is injured and you have a nice top five defense. Maybe a 7th rounder or URFA to keep on the practice squad. Maybe our boys could get Monster Matt Elam in shape.

HeyHoLet'sGo likes this.
  17. Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come A True Fan

Giuice looks surprisingly bad in PFF's signature stats. Good bet he will be a big slider this spring.

18. Lovethefish

Travis34 likes this.
  19. Danny

And after typing all of that we're still not going to a 3-4 defense.....lol

Ozzy rules!!

miamiron, Lovethefish and Travis34 like this.
  20. hoops

Well done.

The only thing I want you to consider is when in the history of the combine has a qb ever gone top 10 at even 6 foot 1 and 4.7?

21. hoops

Packers are a 34

They are gonna want a stand up player

They need to replace clay Matthews who is washed up

They need more range at lb also in the nickel

22. hoops

I saw something that said Orlando brown is 6 foot 8 and 360

Who plays left tackle at 360?

23. Lovethefish

Thanks. I see your point on Baker
    If his hands measure-- his tenacity, his arm strength and apparent football IQ might be enough to compensate.

24. Lovethefish

Brees is the closest comp in terms of measureables. 6ft - 4.8 /40.
    Of course he is the exception not the rule.

25. Lovethefish

Another exception but my comp is Orlando Pace the old Ram LT 6'6 345... 360 not sure anyone can hold that.

26. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Fitzpatrick or James would be ideal picks at #11. Both would give the Dolphins the flexibility on defense to place either of them on the TE to take him out of the game. They both offer the coverage skills that could move the defense to another level. In Fitzpatrick’s case he’s known as having a super high football IQ, he’d instantly become the quarterback of the defense. These 2 players make too much sense to pass on either, IF they are available. If Raquon Smith were 2 inches taller and had the coverage skills of Fitzpatrick or James, I’d have no issue with Smith. He’s a sideline to sideline player and offers tremendous value covering the flats, it’s the TE that could give Smith serious problems.

joenhre likes this.
  27. hoops

But Brees came from a pocket pro style offense

So that’s where I see the rub

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  28. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

If we stay at pick 11, there's no way we don't consider DT or CB just because we have good depth at the positions. I like our guys at DT and CB, but there are players in this draft that would be an instant upgrade to our DT2 and CB2 positions. I think you can make the argument that we won't draft these positions on day 2 or 3 because of our depth, but literally every offensive and defensive position has to be considered at pick 11. You have to take a chance at getting top talent at a position regardless of depth, and you can get top talent at pick 11.

That being said, and assuming 3 QB's and one OT go in the top 10, you need to identify 7 other players....I'd have Derwin James, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Saquon Barkley, Bradley Chubb, Vita Vea, DaRon Payne, and Denzel Ward. If we trade down into the 15 to 30 range, I'm looking at the next tier of talent...Harold Landry, Quinton Nelson, Clelin Ferrell, Marcus Davenport, Christian Wilkins, Tremaine Edmunds. Players I don't want to draft in the 1st round at all: Roquan Smith, Calvin Ridley, Maurice Hurst, Arden Key.

29. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

What??? Who said that we're going to a 3 - 4? That means we will need a bigger monster at Nose Tackle - Suh, Godchaux, Taylor don't ideally fit that. I thought our D-line was one of our better units this season.

Lovethefish likes this.
  30. Danny

Ferrell and Austin Bryant both staying in school gives us less options. I don't mean at 11 but at 42 and 73

Ozzy rules!!

Lovethefish likes this.
  31. Lovethefish

Zounds- good post. I agree with everything except I may have Nelson ahead of Vita & Payne for Miami.
    Depends on the board and if top DEF talent isn't there,,,Here's my thinking- I have to repair my OL & LB unit to get to 10 wins.
    If we go Nelson & sign Jansen we are just about there.
    Alternatively try signing Pugh and then go Ragnow the Arkansas C Rd2.

32. hoops

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-sam-darnold-a-playmaker-in-mold-of-tony-romo

Anthony Barr comp for tremaine Edmunds. I think Barr had a little more pass rush edge win to him than Edmunds coming out. I don’t see Edmunds giving you much outside shoulder win edge rush at the next level.

If tanny goes down again I was wondering who the top qbs in 2019 would be when miami has all their draft eggs in a qb. I saw the nc state qb in the bowl game and was impressed and see him as a potential fit for us.

I don’t like the offense Stidham comes from for Miami and I’m imagining that I won’t like the Missouri one either for lock

33. FSU Truth

Sadly, next year is not really the year to go QB...The kid out of Northwestern could be a possibility.

34. hoops

It’s just our luck that the 19 class when we would be all in doesn’t look tbe part.

Like I said though I do like Finley from nc state.

And trying to find a mid round qb that could be something is like picking a needle out of a hay stack. I watched one wash st qb tape vs Washington and about puked in my mouth.

I’m at the point where if the board doesn’t break right at 11 josh Allen’s there I’m taking him. With tanny or not.

I sure don’t see anything with that kind of upside in 2019

35. FSU Truth

2019 is the kind of year where a player like EJ Manual pushed into the first round. Although, D-line...especially DT could be a gold mine.

36. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

What do you think of Mason Rudolph?

37. Lovethefish

I think we are ride or die for 2 years with this core of RT17, Suh, Wake, Jones...
    2020 would be our shakeup year. Fromm.

38. hoops

That 2019 class outlook is gonna push kids up like mayfield and Rudolph even more

If the pickins are slim they will get their qbs this year.

I’d hate to be a gm in search of a qb outside the top 6

39. Rolltide03

Rolltide03 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I’m assuming you mean Jake Fromm, and I’d rather have Tua for sure

40. Lovethefish

Yes Fromm.
    I'm sure Tua will be in the discussion. Too early to tell.