Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Draft Thoughts After Looking at Some Early Mock Drafts

I see Minkah as captain of secondary. Play him at FS, lock him down on some slots & TEs. He's very good in run support. He destroyed Clemsons game plan by shutting down Renfro on critical 3rd downs. You take him and make it work.

Ok so you are drafting him top 5 grade worthy with a eye towards free safety.

That’s tbe kind of stuff I’m looking for. I see more corner than safety so far but full disclosure i also saw more safety than corner with jalen Ramsey cause I felt to validate a top 5 grade he looked most comfortable facing the action as long as possible which is a safety role

Smith will be there but we'll pass on him

Ozzy rules!!

I’m not sure we will pass on him until we get a critical height weight speed on him.

If he’s 6 foot 1 and 235 as a weakside they may green light it provided he runs 4.5s

Last edited:
Ok so you are drafting him top 5 grade worthy with a eye towards free safety.

That’s tbe kind of stuff I’m looking for. I see more corner than safety so far but full disclosure i also saw more safety than corner with jalen Ramsey cause I felt to validate a top 5 grade he looked most comfortable facing the action as long as possible which is a safety role
I saw same in Ramsey - thought he would be all-pro type Safety. Turns out he's top 3 CB.
With Minkah, I love his attitude, his flexibility, size, skill set. Def Coordinator dream- 3rd and 6- he will take something away. He may struggle with 1/1 with speedier WRs but I can work around that. He's aces.

I don’t know somehow I get the feeling the pick ends up being James.

I saw an article suggesting that since Cleveland has been so snakebitten that they just go ahead and take 2 QB’s with those top picks.

Anybody know much about Jarvion Franklin. Looks like a running back that could go late day three of the draft or even undrafted, but I like his style and that seems to fit a need for the Dolphins.

I saw same in Ramsey - thought he would be all-pro type Safety. Turns out he's top 3 CB.
With Minkah, I love his attitude, his flexibility, size, skill set. Def Coordinator dream- 3rd and 6- he will take something away. He may struggle with 1/1 with speedier WRs but I can work around that. He's aces.

I think he’s more fluid than Ramsey but I don’t think he’s got the same pure acceleration and top end speed or length. But probably more fluid in the hips and definitely more polished.

He’s been coached up at bama so assignment wise he rarely makes a mistake. And he knows situational football

Good player no doubt

But I’m not sure I see top 5 pick boundary corner

I saw an article suggesting that since Cleveland has been so snakebitten that they just go ahead and take 2 QB’s with those top picks.

That can’t happen and I’m sure you know it. You couldn’t sell that to even the dumbest of owners

First and 4th round though in same draft I can see it .
You take a qb at 1 or #4 as a gm/hc your fate lies with him

That’s why so many gms try to avoid putting their eggs in that basket until they have to

They are gonna love that 6 foot 3 size assuming it’s legit for carrying coverage on tight ends etc plus he looks like he has vine arms and will run in the 4.5s

If you can line up in man coverage on college slots assuming you have the physicality and he does you can cover tight ends

And look I’m not gonna say that James will lock up Kelce or gronk. There’s a reason those guys are who they are. Your best bet there is to get one for yourself frankly.

Scheme drives a lot of other tight end production anyways

But I do think James can lock down most these other guys if asked and at 6 foot 3 that size is a major plus

Fitzpatrick is a safety imo. He can play inside man and be used in trap coverage, and can play the run and blitz the QB...he can do just about anything and do it well. I think we could use his versatility better at safety. I think he'd be wasting some of his skills as a boundary CB. It would be great to have a 3rd cover player in your base defense. Fitz could drop to 11 if 4 QBs are drafted top 10.

At 11, I'm looking at one of the safeties (Fitzpatrick or James) or one of the DT's (Vea, Payne, Wilkins). Not sold on the LB's but I haven't seen enough of them yet. I'd be upset if we took OG Nelson or DE Key...or one of these slow cornfed OT's projected in the top 20.

You think fitzpatrick is physical enough at safety though? I watch Derwin James and it’s a no doubter that kids a safety I watch fitz and I’m just kinda in between

I need to watch 2016 tape see if I can get more true safety play

I saw vea make a play on specials in the bowl game in the open field that by itself probably gets that kid drafted top 20. It was freak stuff at 350 lbs

Payne pops off bama tape when watching minkah but I don’t see miami at all in tbe dt top pick market. That kid can play

I also like Wilkins I think both those kids are first rounders

Last edited:
so here's a question with regards to minkah...if you are drafting him as a top 5 bpa where are you playing him? cause there's an awful lot nickel slot corner on this 2017 tape....and that isn't great bang for your top 5 grade buck

with ramsey he was drafted top 5 to play boundary corner...with minkah are you package playing him in different spots like bama used him or are you putting him at free and also having him man up the slot in the nickel? or are you going the boundary corner route?

obviously he's a jack of many trades...
Put him at Free and slot in the nickle no doubt. I think you’re wasting some of his strengths on boundary

Payne pops off bama tape when watching minkah but I don’t see miami at all in tbe dt top pick market. That kid can play

We have some decent depth at DT but none of our DT's make me think we wouldn't consider drafting Vea or Payne. Suh has 1 or 2 more years left, and Jordan Phillips is a free agent next year. If DT is the BPA at 11, I think Miami would draft one.

I don’t think you have to worry about key. I don’t see miami seeing that as a scheme fit unless it’s situational rusher and we won’t spend a top 12 pick on that

There’s a big difference in terms of pressure on a gm and expectations even in a top 12 pick de and a top say 22 one.

Sounds crazy but it’s true. You pick one top 12 you put your neck on tbe block much more than 22. In terms of 43 des

We have some decent depth at DT but none of our DT's make me think we wouldn't consider drafting Vea or Payne. Suh has 1 or 2 more years left, and Jordan Phillips is a free agent next year. If DT is the BPA at 11, I think Miami would draft one.

I really like the dt group. feel they beat the odds relative to draft pick value last year. Phillips development and I have him for the year carrying the 2nd highest grade on tbe d relative to snaps played outside of suh and godchaux at mimimum outperforming his draft slot as a rookie by 2 rounds probably 3 frankly and I don’t see it. Plus Vincent Taylor flashes and all 3 kids still have meat on tbe bone upside wise.

I also think suh will be here through right now plan wise 2020. Right now they probably plan to resign Phillips long term miami could end up with Phillips and godchaux starting dts

It’s one of the groups that i wouldn’t touch

Feel very good about the 2 deep rotation there. Bet on continued development. It’s such a developmental position to do what godchaux and Taylor did as rookies relative to draft slot you’ve killed it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom