Some Good News: Lower Server Cost... Better Server! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Good News: Lower Server Cost... Better Server!

FinHeavenAJ

FinHeaven Lives
Reaction score
I have some great news, Muck and I have been working together for the past few days for looking at ways to lower the website costs AND improve the speed of the server.

We'll... we've done it.

Currently, FinHeaven is running on a Pentium 3 1.2 Ghz processor with 1gig SDRAM and a 60 gig hard drive. Additionally, we have 300 gigs of bandwidth available.

However, I called up my hosting company and explained to them how we are paying more money per month for a lesser server when they have newer, better servers for less money. After a few emails being exchanged, the deal was done.

Within this month, FinHeaven will be going towards a new AMD Athlon XP2500 1.83Ghz with 1gig of DDR ram and a 80 gig hard drive. Additionally, we will have 900gigs of bandwidth available.

The cost difference is huge.

Currently, the FinHeaven server is costing $585 per quarter and $22.00 per month for software. That's $651 per quarter!

The new server (again better) has a setup fee of $100 (one-time) and a quarterly charge of just $449! Since we are paying quarterly, the total charge next quarter will be $522. Thereafter, it will be $449.

This means the old server was $2604 a year, while the new server is just $1796 a year... a savings of $808 per year!

Muck and I will be working on getting to the new server as quickly as possible; however, some downtime should be expected. If there is any downtime, it will be for a very limited amount of time.

The process includes first buying the new server, then CLOSING the message boards, then move everything over to the new server, next we as the host to have the same IP addresses from the old server for the new server, finally we cancel the old server and open the boards again. We MUST close the boards for this period of time to ensure that no data will be lost. Additionally, we MUST make sure that this entire process takes no more than a day as having two servers running at the same time WILL cost more money.

Anyways, that's it. Expect this move to happen within this week... a more exact time will be posted in the main forum.

Thank you once again for all your help this past year, I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

We also most likely won't have to pay the $200 or so setup fee......since we discovered a secret special they were running. :)

Back
Top Bottom