Some information/opinion from a Scouting Director | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some information/opinion from a Scouting Director

FinzManiac

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was listening to the local ESPN radio here in Baltimore. From 9 AM - 1 PM is a local sports analyst/commentator Mark Viviano. He had Eric DeCosta the Ravens scouting director on his show and was talking about player in the upcoming draft. Here is what I remember him saying from that show:

1- If you are looking for a Franchise runningback and are in the top 10 you are virtually guarunteed to get one. He named Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown in particular. He then added in Cedric Benson and was also of the franchise calibur, but he did not think Benson was nearly as talented as the other two.

2- They were talking about Wide Recievers and Decosta said flat out that he thought Mike Williams was not worth trading up for....to anyone. He said if he had his pick between Mike Williams and Troy Williamson that he would likely pick Williamson. He said he knows what Mike Williams is capable of and he thinks that Williamson has a higher ceiling for for overall skills than Williams has.

So that's what I heard before I had to turn off the car and go into work. I was pretty blown away while I was listening to this...what do you guys think?

*EDIT*
Oh and he also said that he doesn't think that there is a franchise calibur QB in this draft. And that neither Rodgers or Smith are really worthy of the first overall pick in the draft.

I think he's right about Benson, but Mike Williams is a monster. He will prove all the doubters wrong and make some QB VERY happy.

Yep I like Williams but I still think Edwards can be a better pro.

I agree that any of the top three backs will be good. I also agree with the QB assesment.

So he named the big three RBs, who rounds out the rest of the top 10?

armyfinfan said:
Yeah he is gonna tell the world who he wants to draft.

What, he's hoping that the top 5 picks all fall down to the Ravens at 22 and he's using this as a smoke screen in the hopes of doing so? Come on now.

You can never accept anything from someone involved with an NFL team at this time of year.

I'm not knocking the moves the Ravens have made but stating that Rodgers or Smith is not worthy of first overall consideration is coming from a guy who works for team that traded up using a future 1st round pick to get Kyle Boller.

If Boller was worth that much in a trade up, then there is no reason to assume Rodgers or Smith aren't worth a top pick this year.

DeCosta said that about those players (MW,Benson,Qb's) because he's hoping and wishing they are there when the RAVENS pick... Williams is better than Williamson and rightup there with Edwards!!! He'd be stupid to give away his insight on who they have on their radar----it's a smoke screen.... They'd love to have any of those ballers when it's the Ravens time on the clock..... Best beleive that buddy :lol:

TXFinFan said:
I think he's right about Benson, but Mike Williams is a monster. He will prove all the doubters wrong and make some QB VERY happy.

Except Benson is one of the greatest college backs of all time and the only sure thing in this draft.

Ron Dayne was also one of the greatest college backs and look how he panned out, guys who are great in college dont always become great NFL players

Marino2234 said:
Ron Dayne was also one of the greatest college backs and look how he panned out, guys who are great in college dont always become great NFL players
I still think Ron Dayne stands a chance, you ever see his acceleration when he hits the hole? omg that guys a monster...until he gets hit.

I know at this time of year you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but he definitely kept my interest while I was driving into work...

thepoolboy said:
You can never accept anything from someone involved with an NFL team at this time of year.

I'm not knocking the moves the Ravens have made but stating that Rodgers or Smith is not worthy of first overall consideration is coming from a guy who works for team that traded up using a future 1st round pick to get Kyle Boller.

If Boller was worth that much in a trade up, then there is no reason to assume Rodgers or Smith aren't worth a top pick this year.

Dude, Smith and Rogers are not franchise QB's. They're hyped right now for drafting purposes. Even our coach would entertain a trade down to get out of the #2 spot and get more picks. If they were franchise QB's, I don't think he would consider moving.

Back
Top Bottom