Some interesting little tidbits | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some interesting little tidbits

followdarabbit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hear are some interesting tidbits from the sporting news involving the draft, vernon carey's move to LT and the possible signing of David Boston. Not sure if this was all posted yet, but I haven't seen it so here it is.

"The biggest priority for the Dolphins is to move down in the draft. The Dolphins wouldn't mind taking a quarterback in this draft, but likely won't in the first round at No. 2 overall because there are other needs and the team doesn't pick again until the third round at No. 70 overall. The team needs an infusion of youth at defensive tackle, linebacker and could use at least a solid contender for Lamar Gordon at running back. If the team stays at the No. 2 spot and can't trade down, look for them to take the best offensive player available, possibly WR Braylon Edwards or RB Ronnie Brown."

"The decision to move Vernon Carey, the team's first-round pick in 2004, to left tackle at least for the early part of the offseason is a bit odd on face value. Carey is not particularly quick, relative to what is usually required on the left side, and doesn't have the overwhelming size and reach that is preferred there. Beyond that, Carey has never been the quickest learner, dating to his days at the University of Miami, and the initial thought was that he would be kept at right tackle for the entire offseason so he would be ready to challenge John St. Clair, or even force the more athletic St. Clair to go to left tackle. This experiment could backfire badly on the Dolphins if Carey regresses."

"Even though the Dolphins released Boston, it wouldn't be a shock to see him wind up in Miami again next season. Boston had a nice visit with the new coaching staff before his release, and the Dolphins have expressed an interest in bringing back Boston at a reduced salary if he can't do better elsewhere. If Boston returns to the Dolphins, it probably will be after the draft. (Dan Pompei/TSN)"

followdarabbit said:
Hear are some interesting tidbits from the sporting news involving the draft, vernon carey's move to LT and the possible signing of David Boston. Not sure if this was all posted yet, but I haven't seen it so here it is.

"The biggest priority for the Dolphins is to move down in the draft. The Dolphins wouldn't mind taking a quarterback in this draft, but likely won't in the first round at No. 2 overall because there are other needs and the team doesn't pick again until the third round at No. 70 overall. The team needs an infusion of youth at defensive tackle, linebacker and could use at least a solid contender for Lamar Gordon at running back. If the team stays at the No. 2 spot and can't trade down, look for them to take the best offensive player available, possibly WR Braylon Edwards or RB Ronnie Brown."

"The decision to move Vernon Carey, the team's first-round pick in 2004, to left tackle at least for the early part of the offseason is a bit odd on face value. Carey is not particularly quick, relative to what is usually required on the left side, and doesn't have the overwhelming size and reach that is preferred there. Beyond that, Carey has never been the quickest learner, dating to his days at the University of Miami, and the initial thought was that he would be kept at right tackle for the entire offseason so he would be ready to challenge John St. Clair, or even force the more athletic St. Clair to go to left tackle. This experiment could backfire badly on the Dolphins if Carey regresses."

"Even though the Dolphins released Boston, it wouldn't be a shock to see him wind up in Miami again next season. Boston had a nice visit with the new coaching staff before his release, and the Dolphins have expressed an interest in bringing back Boston at a reduced salary if he can't do better elsewhere. If Boston returns to the Dolphins, it probably will be after the draft. (Dan Pompei/TSN)"

interesting...heres my 2 cents

Sorry to tell ya but no ones wants to trade up...so us trading down is pretty hard. Face it were gonna stay at #2 and grab a rb or qb...and be very very happy with whomever we get.

moving vernon to left tackle is a bad choice...he wasnt even a tackle in college but people think he'd be good at tackle cause of his quick feet...he needs to be moved back to guard where he actually will help the o-line...mcdougle was brought in to hold the rt slot...so the lt slot is open for battle i say let mcintosh and st claire battle it out for the spot...and if no one really shows improvement there then draft one next year...dont ruin vernon carey he could be an amazing guard...but a tackle he is not!

I'm a boston fan...the guy could be our version of a to...and i hope he straightens his act up and comes back to miami. I'd love it if he signed a 3 year deal for bout a mil a year...then he would earn his way up the chart and be the #2 receiver with booker as the perfect slot [not real fast but amazing hands]

I think if Miami is considering resigning Boston or signing Hilliard, we can count out for the most part picking up braylon edwards with our second pick.

Moving Carey to LT would be a horrible move. I agree that he should play RG alongside McDougle.

I would also love to see Boston brought back. I was pumped when we signed him last year and thought he could really add a lot to our offence and give us a huge target to look for when we get down in the red zone. He just screams "TD Machine" in my opinion.

I would be thrilled if we traded down but this draft doesn't have many surefire top picks and most teams can still get what they want/need without having to move up to do so. It sucks that the one year we end up picking 2 is the one year where it holds almost no value.

followdarabbit said:
I think if Miami is considering resigning Boston or signing Hilliard, we can count out for the most part picking up braylon edwards with our second pick.
I think as of now we should count Edwards out as our draft choice, This is Saban we are talking about not Wanny. He actually has a brain he will select a RB.

What ever happen to Wade Smith?

The guy was drafted as a LT project. Sure he regressed badly last year but when he was drafted it was thought that he would develop in 2 or 3 years which would make this year his coming out party. Yet whenever LT is mentioned he name never comes up. Can HH coach him up to be a respectible LT or was he such a bust that the new regime isn't even considering him at tackle anymore?

Buddwalk said:

Sorry to tell ya but no ones wants to trade up...so us trading down is pretty hard. Face it were gonna stay at #2 and grab a rb or qb...and be very very happy with whomever we get.

moving vernon to left tackle is a bad choice...he wasnt even a tackle in college but people think he'd be good at tackle cause of his quick feet...he needs to be moved back to guard where he actually will help the o-line...mcdougle was brought in to hold the rt slot...so the lt slot is open for battle i say let mcintosh and st claire battle it out for the spot...and if no one really shows improvement there then draft one next year...dont ruin vernon carey he could be an amazing guard...but a tackle he is not!

I'm a boston fan...the guy could be our version of a to...and i hope he straightens his act up and comes back to miami. I'd love it if he signed a 3 year deal for bout a mil a year...then he would earn his way up the chart and be the #2 receiver with booker as the perfect slot [not real fast but amazing hands]

I agree with everything except that I think Carey can be a great RT. I just wouldn't move him around too much. The guy is not bright enough to learn multiple positions.

I have faith in Houck to find the best position for Carey on the line. I personally don't think it's left tackle but if Houck can get him to play well there, I'm all for it.

I agree that we should keep him at RG because D-Mac was going to win the starting job anyway coming off his big injury.

4U2NV said:
Moving Carey to LT would be a horrible move. I agree that he should play RG alongside McDougle.

I would also love to see Boston brought back. I was pumped when we signed him last year and thought he could really add a lot to our offence and give us a huge target to look for when we get down in the red zone. He just screams "TD Machine" in my opinion.

I would be thrilled if we traded down but this draft doesn't have many surefire top picks and most teams can still get what they want/need without having to move up to do so. It sucks that the one year we end up picking 2 is the one year where it holds almost no value.

I agree there is sooo much talent in this draft class it is no even funny. Pretty much every position is deep.

Buddwalk said:

Carey started at RT his junior year. From the profile at
http://hurricanesports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carey_vernon00.html

"2002 (JUNIOR): Took over the starting job at right tackle and became a dominant force... led the team in pancake blocks with 42... earned offensive most valuable player honors from the coaching staff for performances against Florida, Florida State, West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech... only consensus All-America tailback Willis McGahee earned as many game MVP honors during the season... allowed only two quarterback sacks in his first season as a full-time starter...".

He may not be quick enough for LT, but Houck will find out.

I don't think Saban would have moved Carey to LT unless he discussed it with Houck and Linehan. It may be Houck's opinion that he could be competitive there. Personally, I'd like to see him at RG, with McDougle at RT. Then let Hadnot compete at center with McKinney.

Nevertheless, there is nothing wrong with letting Carey compete with St. Claire and McIntosh at LT. The more competition, the better, imo. Football is about competition and you know the saying, "if you can't take the heat ..." If Carey can't handle competing at LT, it will tell you something. I like the competition there. They should know at least by training camp if it looks like he'll have the "quicks" and lateral movement to handle the position. He has the strength, unlike Wade Smith. If not, he'll probably be moved to compete at RG.

If I had my drothers, I'd like to see this lineup:

LT - McIntosh, 328
LG - James, 320
C - Hadnot, 323
RG - Carey, 333
RT - McDougle, 335

Size and weight are not everything. Talent and ability matter as well. But, with Houck's coaching and with their being able to play together, I'd love to see a lineup like that gel. They have the potential to be a very strong lineup. McIntosh is the only question at LT. He's a good player, can be a good RT or RG when healthy, but is questionable at LT. However, with another year under Houck, he could excell. And, we could always draft another guy next year.

This OL, as bad as it was last year, has potential. Personally, I think the system used last year (with a lot of guys who hadn't played with each other before) and the poor coaching had as much to do with the OL problems as anything.

Da 'Fins said:
If I had my drothers, I'd like to see this lineup:

LT - McIntosh, 328
LG - James, 320
C - Hadnot, 323
RG - Carey, 333
RT - McDougle, 335

I'd like to see this lineup myself...I think the line would do pretty well with these guys starting.

And whoever it was that said Carey wasn't a tackle....he did play tackle in college.

Back
Top Bottom