Some more server improvements... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some more server improvements...

FinHeavenAJ

FinHeaven Lives
Reaction score
I figured that I should let you all know of some things that we are working on around here...

ATTENTION: May contain technical gibberish! :roflmao:

• The commentary system is full blown and fully integrated, we are very excited to have this. However, we are still working on a few small items that affect us Admins...
  • Despite much testing and improvements made to the server during the offseason, it didn't stand up well during the game vs. the Titans. Ken (phinphanphrommi) and I are working on some improvements. For those that don't know, Ken knows a TON about Apache/PHP/and Red Hat optimization... something that I pretty much lack. He has been doing a ton of optimizing lately, and we found three new ideas that we are working on.
    • We were going to upgrade to Apahce 2.0, as it supports hyper-threading, however, software that we rely heavily on doesn't support this option yet. When this becomes a viable option, it will be taken immediately as it will be a huge upgrade.
    • We just finished installing a program to take over some tasks to help Apache 1.whatever handle a high server load and multiple requests. This will GREATLY improve site performance under high server load.
    • We are going to start hosting images from another "mirror" server. This is hard to explain... if you're that interested, PM me or Ken... LOL. But this will also be a great option.
  • Marketing/Advertising
    • My specialty! John Bakke (NYCphan) and I are working on a a couple of press releases. I plan to submit these press releases to companies such as Google, Yahoo, and, of course, the South Florida media (Herald, Sentinel, etc). Amazingly, the cost to submit to most PR companies is about $80.
    • We are currently heading into the 2nd month of our advertising campaign with ProFootballCentral Radio... we've gotten a good response with them. I'm not sure if I will advertise with them again... we'll see...
    • Currently will be looking into advertising in the Sentinel after a couple of games this year. Cost for a 2x4 ad is about $200. I will evaluate this decision based on how the team is doing, the opponent, and how the site is doing.
    • A FinHeaven party! I am trying to decide when to have another party, and, most importantly, where. Places such as Tampa and New Jersey have come to the table. I would prefer Tampa, but many issues play a role. New Jersey already has a place and the fans... There will be a FinHeaven tailgate party in December though, probably vs. the Patriots.
  • The site is doing spectacular, getting nearly 11,000 unique visitors per day. The message board is gaining about 20 new members per day. We're on pace for 1,000 members in just 43 days.
That's pretty much all I can think of for right now. If anyone has any questions, please let me know!

Sincerely,
AJ

That's why we put it out there, Clumpy... to scare away the Bills fans. :goof:

Doesn't seem to be working on you... but that is probably because you're really a closet 'Phin fan. :D

Back
Top Bottom