Some of next years drafts top talent is opting out | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some of next years drafts top talent is opting out

If i'm a GM, i'm going to look REALLY hard into the character and background of any kid opting out during the season. It's simply quitting on your teammates - those guys who went to war with you during this pandemic. For you to leave now just because your team is struggling.....that's a bold statement to every one of them.

Guys who opted out before the season had a decision to make with a lot of medical unknowns. That situation is different.

If i'm a GM, i'm going to look REALLY hard into the character and background of any kid opting out during the season. It's simply quitting on your teammates - those guys who went to war with you during this pandemic. For you to leave now just because your team is struggling.....that's a bold statement to every one of them.

Guys who opted out before the season had a decision to make with a lot of medical unknowns. That situation is different.
At first blush, I want to agree with you on this; team loyalty is important.

But the covid epidemic is clearly getting worse by the day, with infection rates and deaths going through the roof.

Game after game has been canceled or 'postponed'... which is an absolute joke, because most of these games will never be rescheduled.

The NCAA has treated these young men like pawns... just assets to keep their TV money coming in... meanwhile players and coaches fall sick every single week.

Let me put this as gently as I can... I don't blame them for throwing up their hands and walking away. This is what a NFL player does when he demands a trade or leaves in free agency.

I'd like to be able to cling to the old morality about team first, but the teams themselves have shown zero loyalty to these young men.

I view this no differently than guys who skip meaningless Bowl games.

I would not hold it against any of them.

Sometimes looking out for yourself is not being selfish, especially in a rigged game like NCAA Sports.

i don't think it's quite as simple as that. some players might be at risk themselves or have family members who are. as you said, the background is important.

i don't think it's quite as simple as that. some players might be at risk themselves or have family members who are. as you said, the background is important.

It's not simple. Nothing about this year has been simple. But i think most of those kids at-risk or with family at-risk would have opted out at the start like Rousseau did (i think his mother is a nurse).

Kids opting out now appear heavily concentrated on bad teams. It's an easy out excuse. The bowl game thing started it - COVID gave kids an in-season excuse now. That's my point. It's not meaningless post-season. It's in-season now, conference games.

Paris Ford supposedly opted out after getting into an argument with a coach.
Samuel opted out on a horrendous team. His coaching staff/athletic department is doing EVERYTHING in their power to not play another game and embarrass themselves on TV so not sure how much i can blame him. Still looks questionable.
Marshall is having a great season....one he needed after being 2nd fiddle to Jefferson and Chase.....but opts out before Bama. Hmm. You think he would have opted out if he was having an ok season and needed more tape?
Bateman has opted out twice now. I doubt he would have opted out if Minnesota wasn't 2-3 or he had poor stats this season.
Jaycee Horn opted out because his coach was fired.....or maybe that was the excuse because his team is awful.

My point is, these are not meaningless games. How would you feel as a player in that locker room, putting your body on the line each day in practice and in games, only to have that guy you helped make successful, bolt on you during the season? How will these guys react in a pro locker room during bad seasons? What is their work ethic like in the offseason or when things aren't going well? I'm sure when looked into, many kids will come out clean from a work ethic and leadership standpoint with support from their coaches/teammates/etc......but i bet a few don't. And if the opt-outs don't impact draft status, is this going to lead to other kids opting out after their sophomore seasons or part-way through junior season to "prepare for the draft"?

And if the opt-outs don't impact draft status, is this going to lead to other kids opting out after their sophomore seasons or part-way through junior season to "prepare for the draft"?
Would that really be bad?

Why should they risk their health and draft status to prop up the dishonest NCAA model?

So Saban and Swinney keep getting the big bucks?

I HOPE more players do that, F the NCAA.

As I have said before some smart agent should hire a bunch of former NFL position coaches and strength guys and build a Draft Academy down in Florida where these guys can go and train with the expressed purpose of preparing for a professional football career.

The quitter thread. Title needs to be changed.

Opting out implies you can still opt back in. Opting out implies you're still part of the team.

A lot of these kids are just quitting on their team. Business decision. Kids like Terrace Marshall didn't want to have to sit through that ass stomping that's coming next Saturday and have his stock hurt by the Bama game.

Business decision is still quitting in my book. The legit opt outs shouldn't provide cover for the quitters. Deal with it.

Business decision is still quitting in my book too

saban_miami3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom