Some Offensive Offseason Thoughts | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Offensive Offseason Thoughts

Todd347347

Practice Squad
Reaction score
These are just some random thoughts I had:

First of all I would love for Cam to come in and make this team his own. And what I mean by that is to not make personal decisions with the thought of winning now. Saban was a coward and afraid to play anybody unknown, he simply loved veterans. Saban had no sack, but I pray that Cam does so with that this is how I would approach the current roster(NO FA OR DRAFT TALK):

1. QB, why not start with the hottest topic. IMO the solution is simple, whcih alot of people have mentioned. But we cut joey(puke), keep daunte and lemon, but there is a twist. Make Cleo Lemon the starter right off the bat, he is healthy and I assume he knows cams offense he is poised to start this team anew without having to wait so long for development. Daunte is injured, if he can WIN the starting job from Lemon and deserve to be the starter based on Training Camp and preseason then he should start.

2. Runningback: Brown is number 1, a draft pick is #2, and Morris is #3. Minor gets cut and personally I don't like Ricky Williams, I for one am ready to trun the page on that rediculous story.

3. WR: I would go into the season with chambers and hagan starting and wes and a draft pick #3/#4, booker does not get resigned.

4. OL: I think we need at least 1 new start from the draft, preferably a LG and I would seriously consider letting alabi be the left tackle. we need to draft at least 2 OL.

5. TE: After watching the colts and the patriots play I think this is one of our weakest positions. We need a playmaker at this spot, but its difficult to get everything you want in just 1 draft.

This doesn't pertain so much to the offense as it does for the defense but I would be very reluctant to resign any free agent over 30 or 32. Its time to start fresh.

I defintely agree with you about the TE, and there is great value with our 2nd rounder, noe do I want to spend it on a TE. It totally depends on who is the BPA when that rolls around but from many mocks Zach Miller and Greg Olsen would both still be available when we pick in the 2nd. I think this may be unrealistic because one TE always sneaks into the first round. Both these guys should have great combines and that will be the deciding factor if there around when we pick in the second. Both would be great weapons for our offense.

First of all I would love for Cam to come in and make this team his own. And what I mean by that is to not make personal decisions with the thought of winning now. Saban was a coward and afraid to play anybody unknown, he simply loved veterans. Saban had no sack, but I pray that Cam does so with that this is how I would approach the current roster(NO FA OR DRAFT TALK):

1. QB, why not start with the hottest topic. IMO the solution is simple, whcih alot of people have mentioned. But we cut joey(puke), keep daunte and lemon, but there is a twist. Make Cleo Lemon the starter right off the bat, he is healthy and I assume he knows cams offense he is poised to start this team anew without having to wait so long for development. Daunte is injured, if he can WIN the starting job from Lemon and deserve to be the starter based on Training Camp and preseason then he should start.

2. Runningback: Brown is number 1, a draft pick is #2, and Morris is #3. Minor gets cut and personally I don't like Ricky Williams, I for one am ready to trun the page on that rediculous story.

3. WR: I would go into the season with chambers and hagan starting and wes and a draft pick #3/#4, booker does not get resigned.

4. OL: I think we need at least 1 new start from the draft, preferably a LG and I would seriously consider letting alabi be the left tackle. we need to draft at least 2 OL.

5. TE: After watching the colts and the patriots play I think this is one of our weakest positions. We need a playmaker at this spot, but its difficult to get everything you want in just 1 draft.

This doesn't pertain so much to the offense as it does for the defense but I would be very reluctant to resign any free agent over 30 or 32. Its time to start fresh.

I totally agree with your first thought, I want this team to approach the future with a long range plan towards maintaining excellence, not in panic mode choosing short term solutions over better long term solutions.

I agree with point number one.

Regarding point number two, I see no reason to close the door on Ricky if he is committed to coming back and working hard, and wants to be here. He is a great talent and has a favorable contract, there is no reason to cut your throat by discarding him at this point.

How can we not resign booker, he's our best receiver... Chambers should be traded if anyone would give us a draft pick for him, he got way over paid on his contract & we should have caproom to get him off the books this year. Chamber simply never developed into a decent WR, he can run the fly pattern and make some circus catches, he would make a good number #3 WR, not a #1. He can't run routes very well, doesn't catch the ball over the middle, not much after the catch either, can't get open, etc....

How can we not resign booker, he's our best receiver... Chambers should be traded if anyone would give us a draft pick for him, he got way over paid on his contract & we should have caproom to get him off the books this year. Chamber simply never developed into a decent WR, he can run the fly pattern and make some circus catches, he would make a good number #3 WR, not a #1. He can't run routes very well, doesn't catch the ball over the middle, not much after the catch either, can't get open, etc....

I perosnally think ultimately both chambers and booker have to be replaced to be a top notch passing teams, but the fact of the matter is chambers has a big contract and booker is a free agent. Watching booker stumble and fall untouched reminds me too much of my sex life...

I think we should pick a TE in the 6th round a hope for a GEM. Saints got colston in the 7th

Of your above points Lemon would have to earn it along with Joey and whoever they bring in to compete assuming that C-Pep is done. No one should be handed anything. Drafting another back is crucial even if Ricky comes back. You never know if Ricky gets bounced again for you know what. Again they have to earn it and no rookie should be penciled in our slated for number 2 till they go through an entire camp and preseason showing signs of who they are and what they can do.

As far as TE this is a key area. Whereas CC disappeared in games Mc Mike would get separation and drop catch after drop catch. Booker not getting re-signed makes sense financially and production wise. We can get better than Booker. He appears to be the best by default which is very sad. The Fins need to go out and find a Colston in the later rounds to get some serious value (like every team does; steals like that don't come around often of course). Seriously Mc Mike should be on the very short leash as better options are explored. TE in 2nd round with a true C or LG at 1st pick would be alright with me.

I've stayed a Chambers fan for a season too long. I agree, dump him now. I've seen too many other receivers do more with less talent. Underacheiving talent is not the future. My thoughts are inline with the ppst. Build for the future and if you do it right, the future might happen faster than you think.

Side note: I love them hiring a guy and not givng him full control. I think this is going to work.

i think a guy like trannon in the 6th rd could be a guy ike colsten good size decent speed played i n a role were he was underutilized should be aailable int he 6th could develo; into a nice TE i believe he 6'6 and 240 but with weight lifting and nfl wrokouts he could easiltget to a solid weight

Back
Top Bottom