Some possible good draft news | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some possible good draft news

PhinPhreak

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
They reported on Siruis Radio today that the 49ers were possibly close to a lower then expected offer with Rodgers, if he accepts this will start a domino effect with the following draft picks as teams would have leverage to give them less then last years picks at the same spot.

They said teams would say this is how much the 1st pick is getting and won't pay more then that, regardless if this is less then last year, they also said this could cause huge holdouts with the top layer of draft picks.

It's all up to Rodgers, if he signs the fun will then begin. They said the reason he may accept the lower offer is because if he isn't picked at 1 he may not get picked until pick 5, and a crappy 1st pick contract is better then a good 5th pick contract.

Hmmmmm......

That confuses me. How can they negotiate with a player who hasn't been drafted yet? It seems that would slightly irregular as far as rules apply.

Thats one of those questions I have been wanting to ask....but afraid to do so.

PhinPhreak said:
They reported on Siruis Radio today that the 49ers were possibly close to a lower then expected offer with Rodgers, if he accepts this will start a domino effect with the following draft picks as teams would have leverage to give them less then last years picks at the same spot.

They said teams would say this is how much the 1st pick is getting and won't pay more then that, regardless if this is less then last year, they also said this could cause huge holdouts with the top layer of draft picks.

It's all up to Rodgers, if he signs the fun will then begin. They said the reason he may accept the lower offer is because if he isn't picked at 1 he may not get picked until pick 5, and a crappy 1st pick contract is better then a good 5th pick contract.

Hmmmmm......

Interesting info. Would def. help our trade down possibilities and give us a better option at QB IMO. Hope it happens.

Speaking of holdouts, I think if that were true Braylon Edwards is the type of guy who would hold out. Ronnie Brown and Alex Smith don't seem like those type of people.

XXXSURTAINXXX said:
That confuses me. How can they negotiate with a player who hasn't been drafted yet? It seems that would slightly irregular as far as rules apply.

Many of the number one picks go through contract negotiations before the draft.

Cheapshotz said:
Speaking of holdouts, I think if that were true Braylon Edwards is the type of guy who would hold out. Ronnie Brown and Alex Smith don't seem like those type of people.

YOU NEVER KNOW THESE DAYS

the 49ers have the first pick so they can negotiate with any player....just like in previous years the team with the first pick negotiated with a number of players to see who would be easier to sign.

XXXSURTAINXXX said:

Because they are the #1 pick, so they can make an offer before hand since nobody picks before them. Technically these guys are no longer NCAA athletes (although not official NFL ones yet) so they are allowed to have agents and all that now

XXXSURTAINXXX said:

Why? They are the #1 team to choose. They make a verbal agreement, draft him and he signs end of story.

I think there gonna end up signing alex smith to a deal monday and then we'll basically have the #1 overall pick

That would be great if they got a contract worked out with him, that way Smith is ours for the taking.

bfishusi said:
Many of the number one picks go through contract negotiations before the draft.

Yep. Cincinnati signed Palmer something like 2 weeks before the draft.

sports24/7 said:
That would be great if they got a contract worked out with him, that way Smith is ours for the taking.

And that paves the way for MB3 with the Chiefs second rounder or our third. :D

Minnphin said:
And that paves the way for MB3 with the Chiefs second rounder or our third. :D
Or Morency, or Shelton, or Moats. Or Gore, C4, McLendon, or Sprowles later on.

Back
Top Bottom