Some Random Thoughts And Observations From Game 1 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Some Random Thoughts And Observations From Game 1

I knew Laird was a good runner, i was hoping they would throw to him a few times. I definitely hope they put him on the practice squad. He needs to get bigger,stronger,faster, and if he is an excellent receiver, sky's the limit.
Just like Capt. Marvel :-)

I thought Dwayne Hendrix deserved some love. Yes, it was against 3rd and 4th teamers, but he stood out on the d-line. We didn't get much pressure until later in the game.

I was happy with Tank Carradine. So much power. I hope he can stay healthy.

I really hope that this staff can do what the Pats do with the secondary. Every other year they start out with a no name or two and it looks rough. Then by mid season they are the same old Pats dominating.

Last edited:
Yes, but I'm feeling Atlanta's defense of line is at least better than the average NFL's. There was obviously a big drop off as the game progressed in second and third stringers came on

You mean a team other than Miami has a significant drop off in talent after the 1s? whoda think it

Didn't see the game, but I'm seeing mixed comments on the D. Most negatives are, not surprisingly, on pass rush and the 2nd CB. It isn't surprising Flo and staff are showing minimal schemes on D. New HC, new system, and a tough 1st 4 games. If, as most think, the pass rush is going to be schemed, I have little problem with that. With that long preface, was there any hint of a pass rush from individual players? Any indications or pass rush abilities?
I knew, watching the game last night, that all we'd be hearing about on FH the next day was the lack of pass rush - with most posters not realizing the Patriots hybrid pass-rushing system is all scheme-based with multiple packages and there was no way we'd be seeing any of that in the preseason (certainly not in the first game).

Everybody needs to chill for now on this particular point. Sadly, we likely won't have any idea at all how the unit is picking up the hybrid system until Week 1.

I knew, watching the game last night, that all we'd be hearing about on FH the next day was the lack of pass rush - with most posters not realizing the Patriots hybrid pass-rushing system is all scheme-based with multiple packages and there was no way we'd be seeing any of that in the preseason (certainly not in the first game).

Everybody needs to chill for now on this particular point. Sadly, we likely won't have any idea at all how the unit is picking up the hybrid system until Week 1.

That Patroits scheme that had 30 sacks last year which was which was 31st in the league. It a legitimate concern. This team is gonna have a tough time rushing the QB and protecting the QB because the trenches on this team are outmanned pretty good. It is what it is.

The patriots had fewer sacks than the dolphins last year if that puts it more in prospective for you.

That Patroits scheme that had 30 sacks last year which was which was 31st in the league. It a legitimate concern. This team is gonna have a tough time rushing the QB and protecting the QB because the trenches on this team are outmanned pretty good. It is what it is.

The patriots had fewer sacks than the dolphins last year if that puts it more in prospective for you.
Rowdy, as Coach FLO has said; "it's not about the sacks but the pressures". So, we'll have to wait & see.

Nevertheless, they were a top 10 defense, top 5 in key categories, and shut down an offensive beast in the super bowl. I'll take that over heavy sack numbers any day.

Nevertheless, they were a top 10 defense, top 5 in key categories, and shut down an offensive beast in the super bowl. I'll take that over heavy sack numbers any day.

Well they were 21st in total defense. But thats neither here nor there because we were talking about scheming sacks which the patriots didnt do so well. Im bad mouthing the patriots defense on a dolphins site. Lets keep it in perspective here.

I was happy with Tank Carradine. So much power. I hope he can stay healthy.

I'm honestly a little surprised at out how unproductive his NFL career has been thusfar. I was so impressed with him as a prospect I believe I had him as my #2 overall player in that draft. I think he was asked to gain too much weight in San Francisco.

Well they were 21st in total defense. But thats neither here nor there because we were talking about scheming sacks which the patriots didnt do so well. Im bad mouthing the patriots defense on a dolphins site. Lets keep it in perspective here.

I'll bad mouth that entire organization until my dying day...but that defense was great. 21st in total defense is a junk stat IMO...they were 7th in points allowed, 5th in turnovers, 9th in run stuffs, 8th in yards per drive, etc etc.

Total defense is a very misleading stat.

Points allowed is what ultimately matters, and they were a top defense in that respect.

Their rush D was also near the top of the league.

How anyone can say, with a straight face that the Pats were a bottom third of the league D is being dishonest with themselves.

Total defense is a very misleading stat.

Points allowed is what ultimately matters, and they were a top defense in that respect.

Their rush D was also near the top of the league.

How anyone can say, with a straight face that the Pats were a bottom third of the league D is being dishonest with themselves.

And something I've noticed about their collective team defense over the years...they start off slow, then progressively get better and better as the year goes on, peaking at the end of the season/post-season.

Carradine best looking edge rusher. But that was more about arriving to the ball late than pure win. Not much pure win anywhere.

Godchaux best looking dt. Wilkins solid not special which comes back to player ceiling. Spence jag might cut that to get out of the money.

Fitzpatrick looked like he didn’t want to be there. Lol

Needham lacks initial burst out of cod or cuts which means it’s gonna be pitch and catch until he fixes it.

Hartrage bad angles to the ball from deep middle ask all over the place. College corner converted to pro safety? Looked like it.

Can’t believe McCain’s playing so much deep middle he better maintain deep as the deepest.

I’m not seeing anything from Charles harris pass rush wise. Just high motor and effort. Disappointing

Van Ginkel ehh. The udfa lb starter next to nothing. Raekwon can’t beat that out?

Jerome baker run and chase and athlete.

Zero corner depth.

Back
Top Bottom