Someone explain to me why TB trades? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Someone explain to me why TB trades?

Awsi Dooger said:
I guess Gruden is not sold on Chris Simms. I'm somewhat surprised by that. I thought Simms was a rarity, a QB whose skills projected much better to being a top flight pro than collegian. He was the guy I wanted us to take a couple of years ago. I thought that was excellent value for Simms, late 2nd round or any time in the 3rd.
If this trade does go through, Simms may be part of the deal.

gruden knows his QBs. He's obviously seen something he really likes in Smith. That is why.

fin-atic said:
To give up more to get a QB does nto make sense when they just signed Griese after a good year AND they have Chris Simms to groom for the future.

I could see for RB or WR, but there will be several top guys around when they pick. The price is too high for two spots.

I don't know. I think everyone is jumping the gun on this. This speculation is based on the fact that Gruden watched Smith workout. So?? If you have the 5th overall pick don't you prettty much look at the top five or six players?

I think it is all a bunch of BS. if soemone moves up with us it will be someone who can jump several spots, enough to make a difference.

I dont think Griese is a long-term solution there. And if Alex Smith is the guy Gruden really covets, then he HAS to jump to No. 2 to get him.

supposedly simms is gonna be a goner on draft day, him and gruden just not clicking and gruden doesn't see a future for him in TB... now the griese thing works perfect cause alex smith will need prob about a good 2 years to develop then he can take over as griese is at the end of his contract... works for them

a trade with cleveland for no.3
gruden doesn't really know that there would be a qb left in the third spot so if he wants a qb he better pull the trigger with nick... nice smoke-screen nick!

4U2NV said:
Gruden never really wanted Simms in the first place but the value was just too good at the time and he had to be selected. However, Gruden has always been a fan of mobile QBs (Rich Gannon) and wants one again. Simms isn't that kind of QB whreeas Smith is and to ensure he gets Smith he's gotta move ahead of Cleveland to do that. This deal has been reported by a number of very respected sources so I can really see this happening which would work out great for us. If this deal does indeed happen, Cedric Benson will be the newest Miami Dolphin, I'd be willing to put money on that. If the Bucs do move up I see the top 5 like this:

1. San Francisco - QB Aaron Rodgers, Cal
2. Tampa Bay - QB Alex Smith, Utah
3. Cleveland - WR Braylon Edwards, Michigan
4. Chicago - RB Ronnie Brown, Auburn
5. Miami - RB Cedric Benson, Texas

Chicago will NOT be selecting a RB. The running game was not their problem last year. If you watched Chicago at all, you'd know when Grossman was QB (before injury) their offense was starting to come together. And, at the same time, Thomas Jones was the second coming of Priest Holmes. Grossman was injured in the 3rd game.

Thomas Jones
Games 1 - 3
66car - 329yards, 15rec - 116yards and 4 TDs

Last 10 games (Injured for 3)
174car - 619yards, 44rec - 311yards and 3 TDs

Anthony Thomas (injured for 4)
(nearly all after Week 3 - Grossman's injury)
122car - 404yards, 17rec - 132yards and 2 TDs

Jones and Thomas was rotated either due to injuries or to save both RBs FROM injury because they WERE the offense. Chicago tried to replace Grossman with 3 different QBs. None worked, for two reasons.

1) The QBs were not good.
2) The WRs absolutely SUCK. Dropped passes, missed routes, etc

Their leading receiver, David Terrell, had 699 yards. He signed with New England. Their next highest receiver, Bobby Wade, had 481 yards.

They have retooled with Muhsin Muhammad (Carolina) and Eddie Berlin (Tennessee), but their offense needs more help at WR and TE than RB. Thomas Jones is the next "Priest Holmes" behind their line, with a healthy Grossman and decent WRs. But, right now, they NEED WR.

Therefore, Chicago will NOT pass on a Mike Williams. They have bigger needs at WR than RB.

Chicago really, really, really like Benson... if he is there then I cannot see them not taking him.

Fin-atic, I think this rumor is based on three things:

1) Chris Simms plummeting from favor
2) Brian Griese's history of inconsistent success (Pro Bowler one year; mediocrity the next)
3) Gruden's belief that Alex Smith will develop into a Rich-Gannon-in-his-prime type of player

finsnchips said:
Chicago really, really, really like Benson... if he is there then I cannot see them not taking him.

This draft is very deep with RBs. Meanwhile, there are only 2 or 3 WRs that carry merit. Chicago will take the WR @ #4 and then, IF they want another RB, will draft one later.

You don't pass on the chance to have 2 solid picks with WR and RB just to get the RB (especially when you already have one).

being in Tampa and listening to the radio everyday I can tell you the reasoning is that Gruden does not think Simms is going to be the future. Still I heard they were more interested in Edwards and Williams.

The plot thickens !

i dunno when all this TB QB talk started but last I heard gruden wanted Ronnie Brown

NathanHunt said:
This draft is very deep with RBs. Meanwhile, there are only 2 or 3 WRs that carry merit. Chicago will take the WR @ #4 and then, IF they want another RB, will draft one later.

You don't pass on the chance to have 2 solid picks with WR and RB just to get the RB (especially when you already have one).
we'll see, I've read in number of places that they love Benson and will go RB.

There was a report last week that they were worried we were going to draft Benson, so much so that they brought in Cadillac and Ronnie for a private workout to check on them up close.

Benson also said that his meeting with the Bears was considerably longer than with us.

As I say, we'll see on draft day, but I believe the Bears are going RB.

Slappy8800 said:
i dunno when all this TB QB talk started but last I heard gruden wanted Ronnie Brown
lol, dunno where you heard tht.

Tampa's draft talk started with Caddy, then shifted to Mike Williams and is now firmly on Smith.

finsnchips said:

There was a report last week that they were worried we were going to draft Benson, so much so that they brought in Cadillac and Ronnie for a private workout to check on them up close.

Benson also said that his meeting with the Bears was considerably longer than with us.

The Chicago Tribune is projecting the Bears to take Benson because they need "a workhorse running back," although it is conceded they could pick a WR.

finsnchips said:

This is actually the first year I can't wait to see the draft. I have strong feelings who I THINK will be drafted by the Phinz for various reasons. But, I have this gut feeling that tells me while the draft is progressing we will begin to see "signs" of things to come. Whether it be the players chosen or the moves made.

I'll be honest, the last time I was truly excited this early in the year was JJ's first year. And, I'm actually going to buy NFL Sunday Ticket this year as well. Just seems the "luster" has faded over the years. I'm still a huge fan, but it's been disappointing to watch the post-Marino era.

Which is one reason I'm so excited about Saban and this draft. I finally get the feeling we are about to turn that long corner we've been in since Dan left.
And I think this draft will give us that "player" we will come to "associate" with the new era. When we look back and say "remember when we drafted...".

Back
Top Bottom