Someone explain to me why TB trades? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Someone explain to me why TB trades?

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
To give up more to get a QB does nto make sense when they just signed Griese after a good year AND they have Chris Simms to groom for the future.

I could see for RB or WR, but there will be several top guys around when they pick. The price is too high for two spots.

I don't know. I think everyone is jumping the gun on this. This speculation is based on the fact that Gruden watched Smith workout. So?? If you have the 5th overall pick don't you prettty much look at the top five or six players?

I think it is all a bunch of BS. if soemone moves up with us it will be someone who can jump several spots, enough to make a difference.

If Gruden REALLY covets Smith or Rodgers, he just might jump to us since CLEVELAND will be looking closely at a QB as well.. That is why the Buccs would trade for the 2nd pick. This is of course if Gruden is truly enamored with the QBs.

I don't understand either, but I'm not complaining. I'm all for the trade down. But I really thought the Bucs would be all set with Chris Simms and Brian Griese. At least I thought that was there attitude about it. Guess not. Excited though.

Considering that they'd probably have to give up a second and third as well over a three year period, I don't really understand why he wants to do this. I think a Brown, Williams or Edwards could slip to him and have good value for his team.

You could ask yourself why did we jump one spot to pick an offensive lineman who doesn't even start yet. Me personally I hope we stay with the #2 pick and pick one of the Qb's.

I agree fin-atic. In addition, I always had the impression that Gruden liked veteran Qbs. If this is the case, why would he want another young one?

fin-atic said:
To give up more to get a QB does nto make sense when they just signed Griese after a good year AND they have Chris Simms to groom for the future.

Good year as far as personal statistics go, but he made a lot of mistakes at the end of games. Much like he did here in Miami. Griese is better than Simms at this point though. However I would think Gruden would like to get a young QB he can groom other than Simms who most think has fallen out of favor with him.

Gruden wants Edwards. If he moves up it's not to take a QB it's to take Edwards before the Bears do IMO!

Gruden never really wanted Simms in the first place but the value was just too good at the time and he had to be selected. However, Gruden has always been a fan of mobile QBs (Rich Gannon) and wants one again. Simms isn't that kind of QB whreeas Smith is and to ensure he gets Smith he's gotta move ahead of Cleveland to do that. This deal has been reported by a number of very respected sources so I can really see this happening which would work out great for us. If this deal does indeed happen, Cedric Benson will be the newest Miami Dolphin, I'd be willing to put money on that. If the Bucs do move up I see the top 5 like this:

1. San Francisco - QB Aaron Rodgers, Cal
2. Tampa Bay - QB Alex Smith, Utah
3. Cleveland - WR Braylon Edwards, Michigan
4. Chicago - RB Ronnie Brown, Auburn
5. Miami - RB Cedric Benson, Texas

I think Tampa just wants a QB to develop under Griese. If not, maybe another weapon for their WR corps. Or they want Ronnie Brown. Who knows. It doesn't make sense to get another QB. Pittman's not that bad of a RB. That just leaves WR.

I guess Gruden is not sold on Chris Simms. I'm somewhat surprised by that. I thought Simms was a rarity, a QB whose skills projected much better to being a top flight pro than collegian. He was the guy I wanted us to take a couple of years ago. I thought that was excellent value for Simms, late 2nd round or any time in the 3rd.

4U2NV said:
Gruden never really wanted Simms in the first place but the value was just too good at the time and he had to be selected. However, Gruden has always been a fan of mobile QBs (Rich Gannon) and wants one again. Simms isn't that kind of QB whreeas Smith is and to ensure he gets Smith he's gotta move ahead of Cleveland to do that. This deal has been reported by a number of very respected sources so I can really see this happening which would work out great for us. If this deal does indeed happen, Cedric Benson will be the newest Miami Dolphin, I'd be willing to put money on that. If the Bucs do move up I see the top 5 like this:

1. San Francisco - QB Aaron Rodgers, Cal
2. Tampa Bay - QB Alex Smith, Utah
3. Cleveland - WR Braylon Edwards, Michigan
4. Chicago - RB Ronnie Brown, Auburn
5. Miami - RB Cedric Benson, Texas

it BETTER be like that, hahahaha, because I would be literally JUMPING FOR JOY at our #5 overall pick

Many people here in Tampa believe Gruden has practically given up on Simms, and just doesnt forsee him as there future. Remeber he was only a 3rd round QB, there was a lot of room for him to be a bust. There were rumors at one point they were trying to trade Simms to Clevland.

fin-atic said:

I could see for RB or WR, but there will be several top guys around when they pick. The price is too high for two spots.

I don't know. I think everyone is jumping the gun on this. This speculation is based on the fact that Gruden watched Smith workout. So?? If you have the 5th overall pick don't you prettty much look at the top five or six players?

I think it is all a bunch of BS. if soemone moves up with us it will be someone who can jump several spots, enough to make a difference.

One reason could be that Tampa has 11 total draft picks and there is no way they can sign all 11 with their current salary cap situation. I'm not saying that they will definitely jump up to #2 but I think that TB will be one of the most active teams on the 23rd....along with KC.

Back
Top Bottom