Something that worries me about Chris Grier | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something that worries me about Chris Grier

Dude if that doesn't get you jacked up I don't know what will!

That is a winning philosophy in the simplest form. No flash, just do the basics at the highest level. Discipline..... he's been instilling that since day one and it will absolutely create a fundamentally sound team on the field. This guy just keeps getting me more excited about the future.

He has had a clean slate with me since 2019. I think he has handled himself pretty darn well as far as handling the duties of being a GM. This is a very well run organization since he has taken over. Obviously talent and winning will be the ultimate judge of his tenure as the actual "bonafide" decision maker in the room, but I like what I am seeing.

I understand the doubters of him as well . . . the Dolphins have given people little reason to have confidence in the moves they make. Being skeptical is now essentially being safe, as far as being a Dolfan is concerned.

All I know is I enjoyed watching the leading men of our organization for 3 days, being family men, grabbing the most highly regarded QB prospect we have added since Marino, and really building an identity with young, aggressive leaders, with amazing stories, ready to build something special down here.

See if we can erase the last generation and start something new and fresh down here.

I agree that many of our posters who are skeptical (and that's being kind) are"... essentially being safe", while many of those same posters stated opinions are we should have "swung for the fences" and chosen their favorites.

That kind of hypocritic attitude is as two faced as it can be. From my point of view they are disingenuous, to say the least.

I agree that many of our posters who are skeptical (and that's being kind) are"... essentially being safe", while many of those same posters stated opinions are we should have "swung for the fences" and chosen their favorites.

That kind of hypocritic attitude is as two faced as it can be. From my point of view they are disingenuous, to say the least.
It's a lot like politics. They don't even see their own hypocrisy.

They just believe they are smarter than everyone else, which they can't be because, obviously, I'm smarter than all of them........

I am looking at Grier and Flores as a team, not so much individually. They are clearly tied together here. I think Grier has a rough history of reaching and believe he did plenty of that again in this draft. There is definitely a common thread in this draft that I have not seen before, though. Every player seems to be of high personal character. My initial thought is that Flores and Grier are now placing an emphasis on teachability, work ethic, and an athletic background over BPA. This approach would appear to play to Flores' strengths as a coach, and building a truly cohesive team is probably more important than individual star talent. It is the NE way.

Of course, Flores has only had one season and turned over a lot of coaching talent at the end of last year, so it remains to be seen whether the team can still be "coached up' as well as last season. A healthy dose of skepticism is fully warranted here, but the pairing of Flores and Grier produced the first genuine rays of optimism from the coaching position that we have had since Shula. I think they deserve some credit and some time to show what their philosophy can produce rather than just looking at the draft on a pick per pick basis prior to anyone taking the field. I may have wished they approached the draft a bit differently, but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doub.

I think the biggest thing for the Dolphins is they have direction as a franchise and alignment between coach and GM.

If you look across the league the success rate in drafting is very mixed. In an average of 7 picks I'd be pressed to find a lot of clubs that consistently hit on 4 or more.

I think Grier has had his fair share of successful picks but what I can appreciate from this year's draft was that they had a plan to bolster both offensive and defensive lines and they executed that. We didn't swing for an RB (even though I wanted a few) and we got Breida a nice complement to Jordan Howard and we have two capable backs to power run, pass block, and catch out of backfield.

We are in a great spot next year to draft skill position players.

As for people dismissing the Josh Rosen trade. It was fantastic trade and we got a 1st round QB without paying any bonus money for 2nd round pick. He's still incredibly young and it was low risk, high reward deal. Who knows he might turn out to be a Kirk Cousins type QB down the road (not for us) but it was good decision / hedge bet.

I'll add to that. Or good players who come here as FAs and play poorly
Yes, that is even worse.

It's one thing to have a guy suck on a 2nd/3rd rd rookie contract, but when you pay big $ FAs and they suck, it really limits flexibility going forward.

I don't think its been that bad, We have drafted solid players over the years. People think bellichick is a drafting genius but why is it the best player on their team is a Free Agent ( Gilmore).. I can think of maybe 5 players on New England's starting lineup belichick drafted that are good players .. James White, Mccourty, Julian Edelman, and Joe Thuney.. Thats not very good considering 2 of those picks were made a long time ago and they usually have at least 10 picks every draft..

Grier honestly doesn't draft that poorly but unless you drafted an elite QB (Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady) your always going to look bad because your team can't win against those people.

The interesting thing I am looking at is formerly unstoppable QB's are all nearing the end or degraded.. If you take out Rothlisberger,Rodgers,Brees,Brady, Rivers your going to be left with a substantially degraded QB field because the young QB's aren't equalling out what we are losing.. Top QB in 2 years is likely Mahomes,Wilson,Watson and they don't compare to those aformentioned QB's in their primes.. I think we may get to a point where we will see teams with Strong Running games, Good Defenses, and Game Managing QB's able to win superbowls again.. Like the 49ers and Titans nearly did last year at that point THEN YES DRAFTING ANYWHERE BUT QB WILL MATTER AGAIN

It’s actually ironic that you bring up Bellichick because I agree that is how Grier drafts. Acquire a lot of picks, throw that 10 lb bucket of **** against the wall and some of it will stick. In the meantime lean on Brady to carry the load. Look at the model. They have studs at CB, rotational DL. They have solid OL pieces with pedestrian skill players that rely on their QB.
Looks like what this organization is going for. Bellichick is a master of getting rid of players right before they drop off and continually accumulated draft capital in comp picks. But he is not great in the draft.
As for your points on Mahomes, Wilson, Watson and curiously leaving out Jackson. They are already setting certain records that their predecessors had. Before it’s done Jackson will probably be the all time leading rusher at QB, Mahomes could break single season if not career TD passing marks and Wilson at 30 is better than a Big Ben or Rodgers for me. Time will tell.
Return to ground and pound? I just think the rules favor the passing game too much, cant breathe on WR’s and can’t touch QB’s. Mahomes is 24 with weapons and Andy Reid. Everyone will be chasing them in the AFC for awhile. I hope Tua is part of the new wave.

Last edited:
Good teachers on the coaching staff that communicate needs to the GM, make GM's better. How many times have we seen one of our draft choices go on to have a decent career on another team? Too many. Player development is key.

Yes it is and I think Flores can be good at it. But we lost some coaches and his handling of Fitzpatrick bothered me. A great coach knows how to get the best out of a player. To see him immediately take off at Pittsburgh concerned me.

Davis is the one pick Flores should a lot of emotion for....I assume that one was all his.

I'm pretty sure the emotion is because AJ Epenesa and JK Dobbins both came off the board just prior to their pick. Hope Raekwon turns out better.

Yes it is and I think Flores can be good at it. But we lost some coaches and his handling of Fitzpatrick bothered me. A great coach knows how to get the best out of a player. To see him immediately take off at Pittsburgh concerned me.
Fitz (mom) wanted out. Flores apparently sat him down and talked to him about his Vision of his role on the team and he decided he wanted a stable single position so he could build stats for a second huge contract. Disgruntled players are bad for locker room unity. As far as coaches go, some of these guys just didN’t fit what the coach wanted, like an over complicated offense. An offense that may have worked for a experienced veteran but not the younger “future” QB’s.

Back
Top Bottom