Something to keep inmind about Jay... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something to keep inmind about Jay...

phins054

Pitbull
Reaction score
He is NOT the future of our franchise. And I don't mean this as a bash. I think we should have known that Jay is an interim QB for our club. Good enough to win now and keep us competitive, but Jay will not be here in 5+ years. To me a franchise QB will be here for a long time (10+ years).

What we need to do in the NOW if we are on a SB run...then go all out. Which I think we are doing. Within the next 2 years we need to find our QB of the future...the young guy that will lead our team for years to come. Ricky is still young and he will help a young QB just as he will help Jay this year...

So in a way...if we are able to get that franchise QB...we will have the triplet threat that Dallas had in the early 90s. The only foreseeable issues that will arise are on the defensive side of the ball. JT and ZT will hopefully remain Fins till they retire, I am sure we will not let them get away. The problems start with Madison and Surtain...Can we keep them both?!? Jamar has not shown that he is ready to be a nickelback let alone a starter. Brock only has a few more years...5 tops. So we will need to find a way of keeping our D stocked.

Just some random thoughts...

as of now, he is our starter and we have not been able to find that young QB to become the QB of the future, so I suppose Jay is that as well. Ideally, he will become the next Rich Gannon and be starting in the Pro Bowl for us and the AFC in 2007 :D

Within the next 2 years we need to find our QB of the future..

Hxll if the OL doesn't gel we may need a QB next year. If we do need a QB, don't worry unless someone steals Rick Spielman.

It's been reported that Drew Brees is now the starting qb for the Chargers.

I think you guys should trade Fiedler for Flutie. Flutie is definitely an upgrade.:)

Ummmmmmm

Originally posted by justafan

I think you guys should trade Fiedler for Flutie. Flutie is definitely an upgrade.:)

No thanks... :shakeno: :down: :nono:

We will most likely draft a QB in the first or second round in 2003 or 2004, but Jay will still be our starter for at least the next two seasons.

Folks ... let's be realistic. Take a look around the league. How many "franchise quarterbacks" do you see?

Football is a team sport won by teams who as a unit put out an effort far superior than the sum of their parts. How many of you consider Tom Brady a franchise quarterback? How about Trent Dilfer? Even Troy Aikman -- if you look solely at his numbers -- would not rank as a "franchise quarterback" on any other team.

Save me your "going easy" on Fiedler by calling him an interim quarterback rather than bashing him outright. He has the tools to be a Super Bowl quarterback if he is part of a Super Bowl team!

There has been only one "TRUE" franchise Quarterback......Dan Marino. And the chance of finding that again is slim to none.

This year is supposed to be the "year of the QB" in the draft so I'm sure that we'll snatch one up in the first or second round this year and let him sit behind Jay for a couple of years until he develops into the future of this team. As much as I hate the Raiders, they seem to have done the perfect thing bringing in Tuiasasopo (spell?) to sit behind Gannon for a couple of years while letting him develop into what they hope will be their QB of the future; we should do the same this year.

Thank you Expo...At least you understand what I am trying to say.

DrAstro...I am NOT saying that Jay is a bad QB or does not have the skills...he is better than I am and he is an NFL starter. I am only saying that he is not the long term QB answer. We need to draft a QB that we can groom while we still have a young Ricky and Chris. Jay will be here no more than 5 years...I doubt he will be here that long...

I understand your point. However, for the very reason you pointed out in your second paragraph (the imminent salary cap hell we're about to run into on defense), our draft priority needs to be maintaining our level of excellence on that side of the ball -- not searching for a franchise QB.

IMO, anyway.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom
I understand your point. However, for the very reason you pointed out in your second paragraph (the imminent salary cap hell we're about to run into on defense), our draft priority needs to be maintaining our level of excellence on that side of the ball -- not searching for a franchise QB.

IMO, anyway.

I'm not quite sure I agree with that philosohpy. Most of the Super Bowl Winners/contendors over the last couple of years have been teams that are far superior on one side of the ball compared to the rest of the NFL.

The Rams offense... the Ravens defense... the Patriots matchups on defense. etc.

While it would be nice to hold the Fort down on the defensive side, I don't think we have a chance in the world of retaining our level of play on defense for much longer. However, with players like Ricky Williams, Randy McMichael, and Chris Chambers just entering the league and their primes, we have a chance to be very special on Offense if we can find the next great quarterback. If that means we have to do it at the expense of some players on Defense (which we will be losing anyway) than I say go for it.

It is better to be great on one side of the ball and mediocre on the other, than average on both sides of the ball IMO.

Our problem is that we have been a mediocre team for quite some time. And what I mean by mediocre should really mean consistent. We really don't have losing seasons. We are almost always fighting for a playoff spot. But the problem with that is that we never get the high draft picks. On average over the last 10 years, we have drafted around the 18th spot.

Instead of suffering through a few "subpar" seasons and collecting higher draft picks (which could be used for trades), we have had a few 9-7 or 8-8 seasons mixed in with our 11-5 seasons. Maybe a down year or two would give us more flexability in the draft...I am not saying that we need to become the Bengals...It just might be nice to have a high pick come draft day and see what we could do...

Originally posted by justafan

sorry, flutie doesnt win games. hes a midget with legs. we already have good legs. i watched flutie last year. he blew games when it counted most. the most overrated QB two years ago was doug flutie. cus bills fans dont know what the hell they are talking about. rob johsnon down in tampa will prove them wrong.

Originally posted by Expo88
This year is supposed to be the "year of the QB" in the draft so I'm sure that we'll snatch one up in the first or second round this year and let him sit behind Jay for a couple of years until he develops into the future of this team. As much as I hate the Raiders, they seem to have done the perfect thing bringing in Tuiasasopo (spell?) to sit behind Gannon for a couple of years while letting him develop into what they hope will be their QB of the future; we should do the same this year.

i saw tuiososopo the other night against tennesee when the fins looked like doo doo. he sucked. tuiososopo was a waste of a second round pick. if gannon goes down in raiderland, they are in big trouble. i know its only preseason, but this kid in no way did not look like a Qb who has been around for two years. he looked like kustok.:monkey:

Back
Top Bottom