something to learn from the Vikings.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

something to learn from the Vikings....

SammySmif

Starter
Reaction score
you can never have too many RBs. Fretting about have Ricky and Ronnie is a great problem. Injuries will happen, and we will be quite pleased to still have our running game. I don't think we ened to worry about it, because this is the most depth we have ever had at runningback, and that's a god thing.

The great part is that our talent at RB is much better then anything they had....Man I cant wait for the season to start!

There are 2 ways to go IMO - a team that has a feature back and he can play all 3 downs is ideal. Teams can never predict what type of play is being run - you can go hurry up on 3rd down if need be and usually and most important this is a franchise type of back that can carry the burden. The other option is back by committee but that is because you don't have a feature back. Both Minny and Philly IMO are in this category. Westbrook is way overrated - he is not a franchise back IMO and the Vikes certainly don't have one.

I'm a big fan of depth but not of RB by committee. You need a franchise change the game kind of back. That home run threat. Philly doesn't have that and Bennett in Minny is always hurt and even when healthy wasn't consistent. 3 years ago when Ricky wanted to play he was that threat and look at the difference in the team. I hope Brown can be that kind of back. BUT if you tell me one series Brown will play, the next Ricky, and the next Gordon I will get sick. It doesn't work!

We dont need to look to the Vikings to know how important RB depth is. In fact every other team needs to look at the Dolphins if they want to see how important RB depth is. Last year Ricky retires Travis Minor gets hurt right away than Lamar Gordon is done for the season. Then Sammy Morris is hurt we actually had a White boy playing RB for us last year!!! Also I remember years ago when we had nobody other than Stanley Pritchett to play RB cause everyone else was hurt.

armyfinfan said:
We dont need to look to the Vikings to know how important RB depth is. In fact every other team needs to look at the Dolphins if they want to see how important RB depth is. Last year Ricky retires Travis Minor gets hurt right away than Lamar Gordon is done for the season. Then Sammy Morris is hurt we actually had a White boy playing RB for us last year!!! Also I remember years ago when we had nobody other than Stanley Pritchett to play RB cause everyone else was hurt.

:up:

SammySmif said:
you can never have too many RBs. Fretting about have Ricky and Ronnie is a great problem. Injuries will happen, and we will be quite pleased to still have our running game. I don't think we ened to worry about it, because this is the most depth we have ever had at runningback, and that's a god thing.

As easy as it is to get a really good RB in todays game it doesn't make sense not to have significant depth. We are 3 deep (excluding Travis Henry), and I would be comfortable with all of them starting. It is great to have a premier back, a great young up and coming back and a proven third guy.

I don't understand why, with the sheer # of talented backs out there today, that there isn't much depth at the position on many teams.

Syra39 said:
IT DOESN'T WORK? I seem to remember Czonka, Kick, and Morris

Are you kidding? Czonka was their FB and Morris and him were an awesome 1-2 punch. Kick gave Morris a break but this team's runnig game was built with Morris and Czonka. What's this have to do with a RB by committee? Morris was their big time RB and Czonka their big time FB. What's your point??

I agree. When someone goes down, you want to feel comfortable in knowing that the team won't miss a beat in the ground game.The Vikings have that leisure. It would be nice to have Ronnie,Ricky,Gordon, and Harris as well as Morris being options at RB.

something else we should learn from the vikings is that after we start piling up 30 points a game for a few years dont let leinhan go to another team.

Dear RICH22

In 1972 Csonka and Morris became the first team-mates in Nfl history to rush for more than 1,000 yds each, a season in which the Dolphins also broke the league record for total rushing yards wirh 2,960.

Syra39 said:
Dear RICH22

In 1972 Csonka and Morris became the first team-mates in Nfl history to rush for more than 1,000 yds each, a season in which the Dolphins also broke the league record for total rushing yards wirh 2,960.

Thanks - I was a fan then and watched that season. My point was they did not alternate the same position. They were on the field at the same time most of the time - it was a great 1-2 punch. It's not comparable to having Brown, Ricky, and Gordon. They are all RB's and would alternate with each other at the same position - very different.

Rich22 said:
Thanks - I was a fan then and watched that season. My point was they did not alternate the same position. They were on the field at the same time most of the time - it was a great 1-2 punch. It's not comparable to having Brown, Ricky, and Gordon. They are all RB's and would alternate with each other at the same position - very different.

Ronnie Brown is capable of being a Fullback.

Back
Top Bottom