sorry folks but neither Smith or Rodgers are franchise QB's | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

sorry folks but neither Smith or Rodgers are franchise QB's

PeterJNO

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Smith or Rodgers, franchise QB's?

After spending the last several weeks pouring over information, mock draft, opinions, stats, etc it has become clear to be that neither Smith or Rodgers can be considered franchise QB's heading into the draft.

They are both talented and surely deserve being selected high come draft day but the teams that do so take a big risk that could set a franchise back several years rather then helping them make the next step.

The way I currently have them graded compared to the top QB's from last year lead me to believe that Smith or Rodgers as their current ability would not have been draft until late round 1 or even round 2.

Manning
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Losman

Those 4 I had graded higher then both Rodgers and Smith are right now. Big Ben went at #11 and Losman at #22 and Smith and Rodgers would have went much lower then these 4.

Just some food for thought in regards to the talent level of these QB's and as reports start coming out you will see that these 2 guys aren't as good as their workouts have shown.

Disagreed. Losman does nothing to impress me at all. The only 1 of that group who I would put above Smith and Rodgers is Manning and thats in part due to the predisposition that all Manning males are born Qb's.

Don't flame me.. I got it from another site. just bringing up discussion.

PeterJNO said:
Not personal, i just dont agree.

PeterJNO said:
After spending the last several weeks pouring over information, mock draft, opinions, stats, etc it has become clear to be that neither Smith or Rodgers can be considered franchise QB's heading into the draft.

They are both talented and surely deserve being selected high come draft day but the teams that do so take a big risk that could set a franchise back several years rather then helping them make the next step.

The way I currently have them graded compared to the top QB's from last year lead me to believe that Smith or Rodgers as their current ability would not have been draft until late round 1 or even round 2.

Manning
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Losman

Those 4 I had graded higher then both Rodgers and Smith are right now. Big Ben went at #11 and Losman at #22 and Smith and Rodgers would have went much lower then these 4.

Just some food for thought in regards to the talent level of these QB's and as reports start coming out you will see that these 2 guys aren't as good as their workouts have shown.

It's easy to say someone won't be good. Or this player is better than that player. But there are plenty of examples of QBs out there that didn't grade high and have or are excelling in the league. And there are plenty of QBs that rated very high and FLOPPED like a dead fish. So, there is no way ANYONE can know for sure who will be good, great, bad, or Ryan Leaf.

The person who wrote that article was probably very high on Ryan Leaf coming out of college.

The "experts" said the same thing about a guy named Dan Marino coming out of the University of Pittsburgh. :lol:

PeterJNO said:

I thought I read it a while back on this site. :hmmm: Oh well, it's just as silly this time as it was the first time I read it.

PeterJNO said:

Its kind of hard not to flame you for it since you titled the thread, made it seemed like you agreed with it or something..

thats what I got from it

actually i agree.....no way in hell you could have rodgers or smith rated ahead of manning (no way) rivers (even if he hasnt played, still no way you rank either ahead of him) or big ben (again, no way).
maybe losman, but i really dont know too much about him seeing as how he hasnt played, and i dont remember too much about him coimng out of tulane last year.....
yea its opinion, but its an easy choice, no one should have smith or rodgers rated higher than manning, big ben or rivers were last year....

TexasFinFan said:
Its kind of hard not to flame you for it since you titled the thread, made it seemed like you agreed with it or something..

thats what I got from it
I copied the thread name from another forum lol, i tried to change the title after I posted it but it didnt let me.

Take a look at John Hanson who I think is the best talent evaluator considering he wins fantasy football leagues left to right. He knows talent and here is what he says about Smith.

Quote: Positives: Efficient and reliable passer who's done well in his college
system. Accurate in the short field, leads receivers over the middle, and
places throws where only his target can make the reception. Solid timing
on crossing patterns. Patient in the pocket, effectively reads the
defense, and does not make poor decisions. Goes through receiver
progressions, waits for pass catchers to come free, and throws to the safe
underneath target if nothing's available downfield. Sets up with solid
fundamentals and passes with an over-the-top delivery. Keeps his feet
active and easily gets outside the pocket, making the throw on the move.
Displays outstanding wherewithal and knows where receivers are on the
field. Throws tight spiral with good zip. Stands strong and poised in the
pocket as it collapses around him.

Negatives: Must improve his corner patters in the endzone, as passes tend
to be flat. Rarely threw the ball down field in the Utah system.

Analysis: A natural leader that does an excellent job running the offense,
Smith has been very productive the past two years. Stays away from
mistakes and has a tremendous touchdown-to-interception ratio. Does not
have a deep passing arm just yet but would be initially effective in a
timing or West Coast offense as he grows into a pro passing game.

Back
Top Bottom