Sources: Free agency agreed on/ Free agency likely to begin on July 25. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sources: Free agency agreed on/ Free agency likely to begin on July 25.

PATSSUCK

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
NFL owners have agreed they will not put first-right-of-refusal clauses on 2011 free agents, a major breakthrough in talks with the NFLPA and progress toward a new CBA, sources told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

It had been reported earlier that negotiations stalled Friday because of the free-agency rule.

Upon exiting Friday's meeting, NFLPA director DeMaurice Smith told reporters the lawyers will stay behind, but that he and commissioner Roger Goodell will continue to talk this weekend, possibly in person.

The players were unwilling to grant NFL teams extra right-of-first-refusals on this year's free-agent class, because many of those free agents were restricted under last year's uncapped system.

Owners had asked that they have the right to designate three free agents whose contract offers from other teams they would have the right to match. Instead, players got what they wanted -- four years of free agency with no restrictions.

As each side reached resolutions on other issues, owners dropped the demand, sources said. The breakthrough moves both sides closer to a resolution for a new collective bargaining agreement.

Once a new CBA has been ratified and the lockout lifted, sources told Clayton free agency is likely to begin July 25.

If the owners ratify a new CBA on Thursday in Atlanta and lift the lockout the next day, teams would then have a 72-hour window to try to re-sign their own free agents, sources told ESPN. After that 72-hour window, free agency would start July 25, sources said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6773711/talks-recessed-owners-give-free-agency

Things are looking better.

Mort Prediction: Free Agency will start on..........

......Monday July 25th at 12:01AM. This goes along with his prediction that the lockout will officially be lifted next Friday July 22nd.

You know me though, until the deal is 100% done, approved and announced I am keeping my excitement in check. We have been burned with positive news since March only to have things fall apart. I am extremely hopeful, but I am not buying game tickets just yet.

With that said, with Free Agency potentially less than 9 days away things are starting to look up.

Lol beat me to it. I think it is really wrapping up this time. Its about that time that people will start losing money and that has sped up the process.

God I miss fooball. This has been brutal. I dont even care that the Fins probably will win 5-8 games, I just want football to start already.

Back
Top Bottom