Sox and Rocks discussing Helton | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sox and Rocks discussing Helton

Boik14

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
"The Rockies would receive right-hander Craig Hansen along with two other prospects, according to a major-league source.
Class AA center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury, the Sox's top position prospect, almost certainly is one of the Rockies' targets, but it is likely that a variety of major-and minor-league names are being exchanged"

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6414656?MSNHPHMA

The only thing I can think of is that the sox are desperate to get out from Lowell's deal but being that Helton's is significantly more inflated even that doesnt make sense. The Red Sox come across as desperate. But hey if they think they have a blank check....

Helton is clearly on the decline and clearly a different/worse hitter away from coors. The only good that may come of this is that the Manny to the mets rumors may be true :)

OPS/OPS+

2004 1.089/159
2005 .979/144
2006 .880/119

Not a good trend.

Career

Home
.371/.465/.676

Away
.294/.393/.507

Home
.338/.445/.531

Away
.266/.360/.421

He was sick a lot of last year, and I think the amount of games he has played has probably slowed him down a lot, but I think Helton is far from down. I doubt he will hit the homers he has in the past and will likely have less RBI's depending on where he hits in the order, but I think he could be a .350 hitter at Fenway. He will tattoo the Red Monster all day when they pitch him away, and he will also get his share of easy homers down the right field line. Todd fouls off more pitches then anyone I've ever seen, but when he gets his pitch he hammers it. I would hate to see him leave Colorado, but he would have a shot at a championship in Boston, which he likely won't have in Colorado.

When rumors were floating around during the winter meetings about the Angels getting close to a deal for Helton the prospects werent that great(good but not the top guys in the organization if I remember correctly). It seemed like they werent asking for the farm, but they werent willing to pick up enough of the contract for us to bite. Seems like they're asking for a lot more from the Sox though.

"The Rockies would receive right-hander Craig Hansen along with two other prospects, according to a major-league source.
Class AA center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury, the Sox's top position prospect, almost certainly is one of the Rockies' targets, but it is likely that a variety of major-and minor-league names are being exchanged"

Yeah that's not going to happen as Ellsbury is penciled in to be the Sox CFer in 2008 at the earliest, and the team is still high on Hansen. Apparently Colorado were the ones that called the Red Sox with the deal. The Sox probably laughed at them hard. The Sox counter offer was apparently Mike Lowell, Julian Tavarez and for the Rockies to pay $40 million out of the remaining 90 million. I'd do that trade in a second but nothing less of that. This should without a doubt be a Bobby Abreu type deal where the Rockies have to get basically nothing in return just to dump the salary. Basically the Sox are in the driver's seat because they don't need Helton as much as the Rockies need to dump him, as he's contract is about 30% of their payroll I believe.

Back
Top Bottom