Special Teams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Special Teams

Bumrush

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Our "special" teams played like they were in the Special Olymics last year. I am still pissed off about how we blew games because of consistent penalties on special teams that gave us horrid field position and gave our opponents great field position. How does a coaching fail to correct the same stupid penalties? What are the Dolphins doing this year to minimize our special teams errors that cost us a playoff berth last year? Anyone have any clue???

that is one thing i miss about shula we did'nt have all these stupid penalties , it's one thing to play aggresive but to pick up stupid penalties at the crucial point of a game is a back breaker it seems every time we had a good kr or pr it got called back. ricky would have had over 2000 yds if weren't for holding calls away from the play in several cases.

I can bet you one thing..

We will have a kick returned for a TD this year! :yes:

Special Teams have gone down without Westhof. He would come up with a few brilliant calls per season that made a difference.

Special teams play was affected by coaching changes. The personnel haven't changed that much. Two years ago we had one of the top special teams. One play does make a difference, as proved by one kickoff going out of bounds late in a game.

I read somewhere (I forgot where) that if there is someone on Wannys staff on the hot seat, it's the Special Teams coach. He was brought in because he is Wanny's friend not because he was a better coach. Wanny and Westoff did not get along well. So his teams better perform well or Wanny may just be pressured enough to have to get rid of him.

I wouldn't say we were that bad on special teams. Our punt and kickoff return coverage was pretty good (besides the preseason game against Tampa which doesn't matter). We have a bunch of good special teamers in Hendricks, McGarrahan, Gamble, etc.

However, returning was a different story. Johnson was doing well when he got injured and when he went down special teams went down as well. Minor was a good returner and that play against New England when the ball didn't go in the endzone was a total fluke and luck for the Patriots.

Our biggest problems on special teams last year were punting and punt returning. We have some good returners in camp this year, and Baker has gained a lot of experience in NFL Europe which should help us. I don't think returning will be a problem this year.

Our biggest problem on special teams will be punting. I think Mare will return to form and we will be fine on field goal situations. What we need is a good punter. Royals isn't a good punter, and it will be a problem all year. I think we have another punter in camp, I surely hope he is better.

Ice, I'm not looking at it from a playmaking perspective. I'm looking at our special teams from a coaching perspective. If you remember the last 3 or 4 games of the year, the Dolphins were penalized on AT LEAST 1/3 of all kickoffs, punts and returns.
Our coaching staff was unable to correct these breakdowns, and I'm wondering how they are going to be corrected.

:goof:

Back
Top Bottom