‘Speedy’ recovery helps cornerback Jamar Taylor challenge for starting spot | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘Speedy’ recovery helps cornerback Jamar Taylor challenge for starting spot

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The tape, as they say, does not lie. And Jamar Taylor’s tape tells the truth about his much-improved health.

Taylor has a prized clip of practice footage. It shows the Dolphins’ young cornerback in coverage, running stride-for-stride with Mike Wallace — one of the fastest receivers in the game.
The video has to be from this spring. It could not have existed this time last year.
Taylor’s rookie season was largely a lost one, sidelined by a sports hernia and torn abductor. A kidney condition prevents him from taking anti-inflammatory medication, so the pain was intense. His performance suffered.
“When I was coming off of injury, I was getting beat by the slowest people,” Taylor said Wednesday. “I can honestly admit that. Dudes were running past me. I couldn’t move.”
Now, he’s hanging with the fastest. With Cortland Finnegan shelved this week with what is believed to be a knee issue, Taylor is running with the starters. And he’s more than holding his own.

It's been said before, but it's truly like an extra pick this year, seeing we never really saw him last year..

It feels like three extra picks with Jamar Taylor, Dion Jordan and Dallas Thomas being healthy.

“When I was coming off of injury, I was getting beat by the slowest people,” Taylor said Wednesday.

Definitely what he put on tape last year. Frighteningly bad.

I've seen DBs play injured before and never saw that bad of a feel for the game or lack of coverage.

Hope this article isn't puffy smoke and mirrors.

LD

“When I was coming off of injury, I was getting beat by the slowest people,” Taylor said Wednesday.

I've seen DBs play injured before and never saw that bad of a feel for the game or lack of coverage.

LD

Could be, but football is played mostly between the ears rather than between the lines. Confidence is everything. When you are stepping up from college to the pros and have an injury and can't do what you are used to doing it effects your mind a lot more than a player who has established himself already and then gets an injury. I really liked this pick and have high hopes.

All picks are gambles but I don't see how he won't be at least and above average starter by this time next year, maybe before. He has all the tools.

Mind or not, it can't be easy to run with a sports hernia. It can't be easy to fight through offensive linemen when you cannot raise one arm fully, let alone wrestle against others with it. I really think Taylor and Jordan are going to do much better this year. Like a lot better! Taylor seems to be finally getting some credit the past week or so. I guess the media guys had to see him in camp a couple of times to believe it.

Pulling for Jamar. He was on fire last year in training camp. He was plucking balls out of the air regularly. I want him to get smarter in coverages so he can just flow in games. As for keeping up with Wallace, that's great, but let's see some picks in preseason. That'll really inspire his confidence.

Hoping for the best but with Taylor unable to ingest anti-inflammatories, I have a feeling he'll be sidelined more than on the field during his NFL career.

LD

He went into games having hardly practiced since college... not a surpised he looked bad he was a rookie who missed the entire offseason and then most the season as well. Its hard enough to play cb as a rookie even with full prep... look at milliner

Hoping for the best but with Taylor unable to ingest anti-inflammatories, I have a feeling he'll be sidelined more than on the field during his NFL career.

Care to elaborate? Do you know the exact nature of his renal injury and what his renal function is now? If his renal function has returned to normal he can take NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs) in small doses as long as he's being monitored.
Your last statement is just pessimism. There are players in all professional sports who likely have allergies to NSAIDs and get by without being on the bench. One has nothing to do with anotner.

Care to elaborate? Do you know the exact nature of his renal injury and what his renal function is now? If his renal function has returned to normal he can take NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs) in small doses as long as he's being monitored.
Your last statement is just pessimism. There are players in all professional sports who likely have allergies to NSAIDs and get by without being on the bench. One has nothing to do with anotner.

I'm no pessimist, I'm working strictly from the OP's post where it says...

"A kidney condition prevents him from taking anti-inflammatory medication, so the pain was intense. His performance suffered."

Nowhere does it mention his kidney condition has changed and I believe it was an issue during the draft.

There must be a way for players to get anti inflammation. I know copper is supposed to have anti inflammatory properties for example (copper bracelets / chains are used to fight inflammation). Is there such a thing as copper supplements? I wonder if trainers have ways that are legal in the NFL. Inflammation is such a common problem.

I'm no pessimist, I'm working strictly from the OP's post where it says...

"A kidney condition prevents him from taking anti-inflammatory medication, so the pain was intense. His performance suffered."

Nowhere does it mention his kidney condition has changed and I believe it was an issue during the draft.

And there are many people with allergies to NSAIDs,. I would expect some professional athletes as well. I don't believe there is a correlation between inability to use NSAIDs and time spent on the bench due to injuries.

There must be a way for players to get anti inflammation. I know copper is supposed to have anti inflammatory properties for example (copper bracelets / chains are used to fight inflammation). Is there such a thing as copper supplements? I wonder if trainers have ways that are legal in the NFL. Inflammation is such a common problem.

Copper doesn't work like that in the body. There are over 800 natural compounds that can reduce inflammation. Many of which, like green tea's EGCG also help kidney function. Someone needs to get him some skullcap root, turmeric, fish oil, vitamin D, and green tea.

Back
Top Bottom