Spielman Does Not Like Gadsden's Agent....a Major Problem. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman Does Not Like Gadsden's Agent....a Major Problem.

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
There is absolutely no love loss at all.....between RICK SPIELMAN and MIKE TODD.....the agent for ORONDE GADSDEN.

SPILEMAN is privately steaming that TODD tried to force a contract extrension....basically down the DOlphins throat....with the timing of the decision....on whether or not ORONDE would have the wrist surgery or not. The Dolphins wanted to help ORONDE try and play....they did not want to lose him....and hoped that ORONDE would delay the surgery. When TODD called SPIELMAN about a new contract exrtension....it was literally before the swelling had even gone down on the wrist. Spielman basically told TODD....that he was completely out of line....first for demanding a new contract extension with the timing of ORONDES injury and his "decision".
Basically....SPIELMAN was told by TODD......that he wanted ORONDE to be paid like a bonafide starter in the NFL... and told SPIELMAN that Oronde would like a 3 year deal with a signing bonus....a contract that apparently was so high in demand...that SPIELMAN did not even take it seriously. Like he stated...they were "worlds and miles" apart. The sad thing is this......SPIELMAN was so angered by TODD and his timing with his demands......after the initial meeting we over......he later faxed a "counter-offer"....which of course....was to TODD.....a joke....saying later...that SPIELMAN offered ORONDE a contract that should go to the 53rd man on the roster"..

Thats pretty much how it went......and this is where we are.....and quite sadly....IMO.....as for GADSDEN's future.

I am one that says to SPIELMAN......Please give ORONDE a fair contract....he does deserve that. Here is a guy who gives it all on the field....you feel that Oronde is a lunch-pail player....a guy that just brings it each and every game. You also feel that GADSDEN is a home grown type of player....having come off the ARENA football depths....literally a find by then coach JIMMY JOHNSON. Couple his overachieving gifts.....with his great hands....low-key personality....and work ethic.....there is not really that much more you can ask for in a player...that resembles.....CLASS. Oronde GADSDEN is in fact .....a players type of player.....and you know everyone in that locker room....privately says to DOlphin Management....GIVE HIM SOME MONEY.... they want him....and so does...DAVE WANNSTEDT. And ORONDE for crying out loud....says that he loves the fans....and loves playing for the DOlphins. So what gives here?

Is is a personal thing between SPIELMAN and MIKE TODD?

This is not the first time that ORONDE has complained about a new deal either. Spielman gave in last time.....but not without a long and battered battle....both inside the Dolphins offices...and outside....in the media......we have seen this before.....both guys taking their sides....using the media to plead to the public...their takes on what is right and what is wrong.

I have heard that ORONDE is very loyal to MIKE TODD....and that he is not going anywhere.... and probably....neither this up-hill battle ORONDE now finds himself in...to remain playing in a DOlphins uniform.

It does appear that there is a personal dislike between both SPIELMAN and TODD......but in the end....can they both put there differences aside once again.....to allow ORONDE to remain in MIAMI?

Who is the bad guy here.....I mean what if TODD is really asking for over 2 million per season for ORONDE...with a nice sign-on bonus.....for a guy who is coming off of wrist surgery?

ANd is SPIELMAN the bad guy....for not offering a contract to TODD....that is not.....an embarrassment to ORONDE....in which he stated it was?

How do you guys think this is going to play out?
Do you see GADSDEN coming back?
And do you think that this is indeed a personal thing?
WIll WAYNE HUIZENGA...get directly involved with this...with WANNY's insistence....that he make the final call?

DCH

here is what i think about Orande Gadsden. first off i think he is one hell of a player who gives his all. But this year he was not a starter from the start. he was not a clear starter. I actually thought gadsden or mcnight was going to be gone. mcnight more so because of the money he was making. But our problem is speed at WR. we dont have anyone who can command down field presence at both WR's spots. OG is good for sidelines and corner of the endzone. mcnight has speed but does not command respect and he cant shake off DB's very well let alone catch a clutch ball.
I would be sad to see OG go, but where does anyone really think he will end up? nowhere. thats where. thats why he does not get the big bucks. spielman knows this. gadsden has not had any numbers close to what a chris carter used to. chris carter should have been here from the start IMO. this is one spot on our team that i never really quite got how OG was a starter again. he is too slow for a norv turner offense. I like OG alot, but i see him more as a 3rd WR who goes over the middle alot. too bad we dont seem to go over the middle at all or deep for that matter.

If OG wants Todd as his agent....He suffers the consequences. The timing and attitude of his contractual DEMANDS shows very little class and if OG wants to be associated with someone like that, then he gets painted with the same brush.
Sorry, but you don't give starting WR money to a 31 year old arthritic toed turtle, no matter how good his hands are.

Well...I'm hoping Gadsden does make it back next year-if healthy. I think after the season, when thinks cool down a little bit, Todd and Spielman might be abel to talk. However, if Todd continues to embarass Speilman in the media, then Spielman will continue his current stance with his offer. I think Todd is a difficult guy to negotiate with, good for players and bad for GM's. I do believe the Dolphins want to do Gadsden right, but Todd could hurt this by being an a$$. Hell, most of us want a kiss once in a while, if we're gonna get screwed!

:D :cool: :D

I am puzzled by the whole thing. I can understand OG wanting a new contract, but why demand it now?? Why not sooner? What beef do the players have, OG was the one who held the Phins hostage with his demands? If I were the players I would have been PO'ed at OG not the front office.

I really like OG and he has been good for the Phins, but IMHO he is no longer a starting WR. And if he (Todd) does not want what the FO offers, as long as it is truly fair, then he can go play with someone elses ball. I have no patience with players who do stupid things like this. Timeing is everything, and IMHO this was stupid timeing.

FinFan, OG was the clear starter from the start. You knew that OG was gonna beat out McKnight for the job. As a coach, you want your players to have a reason to get better. We're paying McKnight more than any WR on the team. You can't just bench him from the start. You gotta motivate him and hope that he elebvates his game and earns that money. But OG was clearly the better player and the better fit for the #2 slot.

Also, I gotta side with Rick Speilman on this one....again. This little fiasco reminds me so much of what I go thru at work every day. Like Speilman, I work for a reputable company. And we get flooded with people who need support because of a defective product (usually because THEY'VE done something wrong).

But many times, instead of simply letting us know exactly what the problem is and seeing what we can do to remedy this situation......we are met with angry and unreasonable demands from the customer. After that, we get angry and really don't want to help this jackass (Mike Todd). But we do of course. Just with a little less understanding and patience.

So when the customer finds that we're willing to help him....but not meet his unreasonable demands....he gets angry and goes to the media/internet and posts about how our company is cheap, dishonest, and other lies (hell, yesterday, somebody did all of this AND is threatening to sue us)...thereby swaying public opinion. Now EVERYONE (customers and employees) is angry.....and most people don't know what REALLY happened.

In reality, all the customer (Mike Todd) had to do was calmly and (perhaps) respectfully come to us with his problem and see what we could do for him. Hell, most times it's good to get a qualified professional opinion (OG letting the swelling go down and let the doctor look at it) to help you make a more educated decision before coming to us with the problem.

Originally posted by inFINSible
If OG wants Todd as his agent....He suffers the consequences. The timing and attitude of his contractual DEMANDS shows very little class and if OG wants to be associated with someone like that, then he gets painted with the same brush.
Sorry, but you don't give starting WR money to a 31 year old arthritic toed turtle, no matter how good his hands are.
unforunately, inFINSible - that where it is at these day

Originally posted by dolphan39
unforunately, inFINSible - that where it is at these day

Having lived in Dallas for a number of years, I actually have a mutual friend of Mr. Todd's.

This guy is no better an agent than Ricky Williams' rapper/agent experiment. Todd saw his meal ticket for next year potentially disappear and got scared. As usual, taking into consideration what was best for his client never entered his mind. Typical.
What was best for Oronde would have been a fair deal. Todd wanted a big paycheck bottom line.

I hope Oronde can see through the smoke and find another agent.

I believe OG should come back, but at a reasonable price....You have to take into consideration that hes injury prone especially after the wrist surgery.....But he does give it all he gots even when injured....maybe pay him the minumum for a STARTING WR.

Originally posted by WCoastFin
I believe OG should come back, but at a reasonable price....You have to take into consideration that hes injury prone especially after the wrist surgery.....But he does give it all he gots even when injured....maybe pay him the minumum for a STARTING WR.
carter will likely be gone next year, though you never know. OG will play out like Brock did IMO, i.e. he will wait for big money and end up getting a 2 year deal for something a little over the Min. - if he is healthy.

i think OG taking the time to heal now is the right thing for him. the club is right in wanting to wait. no one knows how he is going to heal. wanny told OG face to face he wanted him back and i beleive spielman does too. ithink OG deserves a good contract but i think his agent i way outta line. he is potentially causing problems in the club house because of the perception that the phins don't care about OG.

maybe OG needs to re think his loyalties....

I hope he come back next year. My favorite teacher Mrs. Rogers is OG's 2nd cousin and she said I was her fav. student last year, and she knows how much I love the Phins. If OG gets screwed over by the front office I don't think she ever speak to me again. :yell: :eek: :cry: :fire:

I'm really pissed at the Dolphin players squawking about this. A contract is, by definition, a payment offered in return for future performance, not a reward (or a thank you or an "attaboy") for someone's past performance or dedication.

The Dolphins would have to be, quite frankly, pretty stupid to say to an injured player, "Sure ... here's some money. Rub it on your wrist: I'm sure that will speed the healing process."

Originally posted by Muck
FinFan, OG was the clear starter from the start. You knew that OG was gonna beat out McKnight for the job. As a coach, you want your players to have a reason to get better. We're paying McKnight more than any WR on the team. You can't just bench him from the start. You gotta motivate him and hope that he elebvates his game and earns that money. But OG was clearly the better player and the better fit for the #2 slot.

IMO, they named gadsden the starter by default, which then cuased a money problem. that is why i mentioned that i thought mcnight would be gone because of the money. mcnights money is now an issue for OG. my bottom line? chris carter should have been here from the start, with mcnight cut, then OG would be a third wideout and maybe, just maybe, he wouldnt be hurt right now, and OG would be in line with his paycheck for what he does. mcnight being cut would have saved us money cus i believe he didnt cost us much in the cap. we need speed or someone who commands respect(carter). no offense to gadsden, he doesnt command respect like a carter, therefore he gets open on certain plays, but he never really dominates downfield. in fact i would say he is having an offyear up until now.
BTW, i was all for carter coming here from the start. i had no problems with him coming in and i had no thoughts about him being a distraction in the locker room. we are a different team than the vikings.

Back
Top Bottom