Spielman plays poker? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman plays poker?

ZOD

Ruler of the Universe
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but.....

There have been "sources" reported out of organizations for a plentiful number of teams for rumors of trades or just general indication of a given teams direction in the offseason. Sure the Dolphin media has speculated on any number of trade scenarios or draft day direction but I haven't seen "source" listed with any story. Are we witnessing the skill of a good poker player?

The Dolphins have been linked to a number of players such as Brunell, Ramsey, Henson, and now TO all driven by media speculation.

With direction in doubt I've got my own speculation as of this point in the offseason. Tell me your level of satisfaction if Spielman directs this team to this scenario.

The Dolphins are old and expensive!

I've speculated in the past about given the situation at QB and the learning curve involved for a rookie. The best answer received on my "dump the team/we're in transition" scenario is that you can get young while remaining competitive. I somewhat agree with that assumption but it dilutes the fact of how close this team was last year.

Sure the Dolphins missed the playoffs. The Dolphins missed the playoffs by one win. In late November I developed my opinion as to who would win it all. Alot of us had the feeling that New England had that "something" that would carry them deep into the playoffs. The Dolphins missed the playoffs due to two losses to the eventual super bowl winner. No team was going to get by them and the Dolphins were the first victim. As stated before the Dolphins are 12-4 with a first round bye with two victories against New England instead of two losses. With the results of the games being an overtime victory of 19-13 and an excrutiating 12-0 loss in the snow I wonder if we were actually closer than any other team in the AFC? Given the total amount of points in the two games from the Dolphins (13) among other signs it's evident that we don't have the offense to get by the better team.

This brings me to our poker player (Spielman). There is a defensive standout (Ogunleye) that some speculate will bring a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick in the 2004 draft. I don't find that a far-fetched assumption.

Spielman has had good words in various quotes about the availability of Brunell, Henson, and Rivers. He never has shown his hand he just simply stated that each deserved some consideration.

No matter how an owner wants to spin it the "end all-be all" in owning any franchise is making money. The direct way for an owner to make money in the NFL is to sell tickets. How would you inspire the biggest reaction in your fan base this offseason given you have tried with essentially the same group of veterans for a couple of years (including adding more veterans)?

Back to the old and expensive....

If the Dolphins end up with two first rounds draft choices and two thirds would you be more likely to go out and buy some tickets? Would it be best to have the two 1st and 3rds for the general health of the team? No matter how you spend the drafts choices in trades (the two thirds for a second, ect) I think it would be best for the business.

Let's slow down here for a minute in this thread and stop with the rumors. What's your general take on using your draft choices and having little or no impact on free agency.

Spend your first on that QB you like-Phillip Rivers
Spend your other first on that deep WR pool-insert name here
Spend your first third on the best lineman available
Spend your second third on the best DE or linebacker available.

Start that QB in the first game.

You live in Miami and you are a casual fan. Are you buying season tickets?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a solid post ZOD, unfortunately, I cannot respond properly as I am at work. I may have a slightly different perspective on this ;)

You're logic is pretty sound however the premise of the thread, that Spielman has tight control over the rumors leaking from the organization is overall false I believe.

NFL personnel guys can be like middle schoolers the way they babble to other people about the possibilities of what they are doing.

And media sources tend to have reasons why they are media sources and its not because the guy in charge sends them out to leak bad rumors...cuz otherwise the media guy would drop them like a bad habit.

At 12-4 would the Dolphins have had a bye? Kansas City 13-3, 1st Seed, Colts 12-4 beat us, second seed. Or am I wrong? (I'm doing this from memory, I didn't research)
I still think we end up 3rd seed, no bye.

some insight into strategy...

The Dolphins' cap situation makes it highly unlikely that they will match any big-money deal that Ogunleye receives. The Dolphins are likely to add another end through the draft or free agency if Ogunlete leaves.

The Dolphins also aren't expected to vie for a big-money wide receiver... The Dolphins believe there is solid receiver depth in the draft and have more pressing needs along the offensive line that must be addressed in free agency.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...eb19,0,3094415.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

OL via FA
WR via draft

Originally posted by ckparrothead
You're logic is pretty sound however the premise of the thread, that Spielman has tight control over the rumors leaking from the organization is overall false I believe.

NFL personnel guys can be like middle schoolers the way they babble to other people about the possibilities of what they are doing.

And media sources tend to have reasons why they are media sources and its not because the guy in charge sends them out to leak bad rumors...cuz otherwise the media guy would drop them like a bad habit.

It was a part of the premise of the thread and I would say that the organization in general has had a tight reign on leaks. One thing that I asked was "correct me if I'm wrong". I haven't seen an article out of South Florida that said "a team source" or "sources close to the organization" or "a league source" or anything close to resembling that the rumors derived from Davie.

To the contrary, I have seen speculation which is held under the guise of "possibilies" or "logical" or "could". I haven't seen one article cite a team source. Believe me I'd like to know but I think it's wiser for the team not to let me know (or anybody else for that matter). So please correct me where I'm wrong. I'd like to know the general direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: some insight into strategy...

Originally posted by dolphan39

Quote:
The Dolphins' cap situation makes it highly unlikely that they will match any big-money deal that Ogunleye receives. The Dolphins are likely to add another end through the draft or free agency if Ogunlete leaves.

The Dolphins also aren't expected to vie for a big-money wide receiver... The Dolphins believe there is solid receiver depth in the draft and have more pressing needs along the offensive line that must be addressed in free agency.

The key words.......

unlikely

likely

if

expected

You can tell me that those are the beliefs of an individual within the organization conveyed through a reporter. I can tell you that I've seen hundreds of speculative comments such as that quote that never panned out and turned out to be as far fetched as uummmm.....Dan Marino taking over the helm of the Dolphins!

Originally posted by ZOD

It was a part of the premise of the thread and I would say that the organization in general has had a tight reign on leaks. One thing that I asked was "correct me if I'm wrong". I haven't seen an article out of South Florida that said "a team source" or "sources close to the organization" or "a league source" or anything close to resembling that the rumors derived from Davie.

To the contrary, I have seen speculation which is held under the guise of "possibilies" or "logical" or "could". I haven't seen one article cite a team source. Believe me I'd like to know but I think it's wiser for the team not to let me know (or anybody else for that matter). So please correct me where I'm wrong. I'd like to know the general direction.

I think you are on to something Zod. But we have to realize most of the press has alienated themself from the ORG. So there has to be a lot more speculation going on... on their behalf than usual.

The source is generally pissed at the press.

Personaly, I think a Wolf, Speilman ,match of wits is taking place. To what end I don't know. It will be fun to watch. I have faith.:D

Back
Top Bottom