Spielman Purge- He Has to GO | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spielman Purge- He Has to GO

Steve S

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Next best thing they can do after dumping Tricky Ricky is to get rid of this awful psuedo-GM who had the worst offseason in 2004 since Terry Bradway's of 3 years ago.

Clean out:

D Mac- the underwhelming LT who Spielman was going to pay a huge bonus to before he took a physical.

Reggie Howard- pay cut or he's gone. Period. Guy is not a starting caliber or nickel DB. Slow, small with poor instincts. His huge contract is one of the reasons we had to trade Surtain. Carolina laughed at the contract we gave to a below average corner.

He structures a deal for Cracky Williams that is so front loaded that it gives Miami no protection in case the RB got hurt or quit after the first year. Cost Miami one first round pick. Bad friggin' move and not hindsight.

Throw in the Feeley and Gordon deals, getting less than market value for Ogunleye, trading a 4th for Carey when he didn't have to and the piss poor O-line and offense he put together with Wanny plus the myriad of poor drafts he and Dave presided over and this guy should be bounced on his *** asap.

Get 'er done!

I'd like to see what we'd do without Howard this year. Regardless of his salary, we need him right now.

And call me crazy (and stupid) but Ogun-for-Booker could turn out well for us after all. Of course, that doesn't absolve Spielman of anything... he didn't have the crystal ball to see that Saban would come in with a variety of defensive schemes and that Booker would seem to be a good fit for Linehan's system. But based on Ogun's numbers last year, and the idea that having him probably wouldn't have won us even one more game, that deal could still be alright.

The once a month "Spielman has to go" thread from Steve S...

Steve S said:
D Mac- the underwhelming LT who Spielman was going to pay a huge bonus to before he took a physical.

The KEY is he did'nt give him that bonus. Instead he got McKintosh for a bargain basement price and a contract that has almost no risk whatsoever for the team.

That "underwhelming" left tackle played on a bad leg all year in a system that was designed by a moron for the worst O-line coach in football.

That same "underwhelming" wil be starting and healthy this year.

Steve S said:
Reggie Howard- pay cut or he's gone. Period. Guy is not a starting caliber or nickel DB. Slow, small with poor instincts. His huge contract is one of the reasons we had to trade Surtain. Carolina laughed at the contract we gave to a below average corner.

Cut Reggie Howard after we traded Surtain and Will Poole got hurt? That would make a ton of sense. That would leave a rookie and Mario Edwards competing for the #2 corner spot. You want Spielman fired? Listen to your advice.

His contract is not that bad and he is not the reason we had to trade Surtain.

We had to trade Surtain because he was going to be a free agent next year and our salary cap allocation was to heavy on the defensive side of the football.

Blaming Reggie Howard for the Surtain trade is absurd.

Steve S said:
He structures a deal for Cracky Williams that is so front loaded that it gives Miami no protection in case the RB got hurt or quit after the first year. Cost Miami one first round pick. Bad friggin' move and not hindsight.

Wannstedt signed him to that contract restructure. It was also a contract that paid a top 5 running back WELL BELOW market value for a player of Ricky's caliber.

He did'nt quit or get hurt his first two years. What was the contract supposed to say "If Ricky quits the New Orleans Saints owe Miami a first round pick"?

Steve S said:
Throw in the Feeley and Gordon deals, getting less than market value for Ogunleye, trading a 4th for Carey when he didn't have to and the piss poor O-line and offense he put together with Wanny plus the myriad of poor drafts he and Dave presided over and this guy should be bounced on his *** asap.

We got a third rounder and a starting wide reciever for Ogunleye. What were we supposed to get for Ogunleye? Remember, this is not Madden.

Spielman did'nt put together the offense. That was Wannstedt and Chris Foerrster. Spielman did'nt know Ricky was going to retire, Tony Wise would sh|t the bed, Wannstedt would stubbornly stick with Fiedler instead of giving Feeley more snaps in training camp, Boston would get hurt etc.

By the end of the year the "piss poor O-line" was starting to come together and with a real offensive line coach it will come together. Spielman had to clean house on the O-line. Ever wonder why 3 of the guys Spielman got rid of could'nt find a job ANYWHERE else? He had to be right somewhat.

I agree that Spielman made some mistakes. He also had a decent draft when he was allowed to pick his players and Saban kept him..I trust Nick more then you.

I think getting rid of Wanny was only HALF the job....hope RS is gone before the season starts.

Actually, if Spielman had anything to do with the Ricky contract, then he's a genius. Think about it. The contract included a clause that said, "If Ricky breaches his contract, we get his signing bonus back, including bonus money that New Orleans paid him." That's brilliant! And, now we find out that the contract included another clause that said, "If Ricky breaches his contract, his base salary reverts to what it was in New Orleans, the league minimum." Again, brilliant! Seriously, if Spielman was even partly responsible for those clauses, you have to give him a lot of credit.

I have mixed reviews on Speilman. On the down side is his drafting of Vernon Carey instead of Vince Wilfolk. And also negative is giving up a second round pick for A.J.-WHAT A REACH! But on the positive side is his late round picks of Pope, Bua,and Poole. Also, I agree, Booker may be better than O-gun. O-gun was a product of JASON power! Furthermore, give Gordon a chance, and see where we would be without Howard. Namely, Mario Edwards as a starter...need I say MORE!

I hope we keep Spielman. He did as well as you could expect of him with a crappy cap and the world record when it comes to injuries.

Well, it was time. Wanny's on the front page, Ricky's in the news....

I thought something was missing...

And then, ANOTHER Spielman thread!

And our host was gracious enough to sprinkle in some Ogun for flavoring.

Sometimes, I can't figure out if some people get the paper a few days late... or if glutiny and masochism are part of their daily diet.

I realize people are bored.... but, ... forget it, it's not worth the argument.

i still think ogun for booker and a 3rd was great... we traded surtain a proven pro bowl player for many years for a 2nd and had to drop down in the 4th round, for ogun and holdout who wanted a big contract also but only had 2 good years, we got a probowl wide reciever and a 3rd round pick, i dont see whats wrong with that... especially last year when we needed another WR...

feeley again we did what we had to do to get him, if philly wasn't giving him up for a 3rd rounder, we had to give a 2nd rounder.. and imagine before last season if we didn't bring in ANY QB and had to stick with fiedler regardless, spielman would have been murdered on the spot in miami... we had to bring in a QB, a young QB and we got the one we wanted for market value... i dont see a problem with that... incase you didn't know, QBs are expensive, you have to use the number 1 pick to get an alex smith calibre QB which is nuts, you have to give u pa 1st round pick to trade for Garrard, jax backup whos played less than 4 games in his career, etc... QBs are expensive, we got feeley for market value... deal with it...

and whats the point of getting rid of spielman now? hes a good talent evaluator, leave him around, hes not in control anymore so he'll be fine, if he goes he goes if he stays he stays, hes not making the GM decisions anymore so why do you care so much?

The fact that a Saban has interviewed three candidates for the personnel evaluator position is not a vote of confidence for Speilman.

IMO Saban is looking for someone to replace Speilman but has been turned down so far.

Sooner or later he will find someone.

I'm not even remotely concerned about Spielman anymore. He can't hurt anything. Saban has been positive about the work he's done. I think some of his decisions last year were forced decisions due to injuries and Ogun hold out as well as neglecting QB for years. It's hurt to make good moves when your holding a bad hand.

razorphin said:
I have mixed reviews on Speilman. On the down side is his drafting of Vernon Carey instead of Vince Wilfolk. And also negative is giving up a second round pick for A.J.-WHAT A REACH! But on the positive side is his late round picks of Pope, Bua,and Poole. Also, I agree, Booker may be better than O-gun. O-gun was a product of JASON power! Furthermore, give Gordon a chance, and see where we would be without Howard. Namely, Mario Edwards as a starter...need I say MORE!
Hindsight is 20/20, if we had taken another defensive player after taking Eddie Moore the year before everybody would have had a fit. Other than trading a 4th round pick to move up and take Carey, most people liked the pick at the time.

O, I think Spielman will go..

But it's more Saban will bring in someone he knows [as do most new management teams in virtually every aspect of any business] than because a lot of people who don't have the sense to pound sand are clamoring for it because they cannot separate Spielman from Wannstedt. So much for intelligent conversation. Some of you need to grow up and do your thinking somewhere above the belt line.

dolfanmark said:
Actually, if Spielman had anything to do with the Ricky contract, then he's a genius. Think about it. The contract included a clause that said, "If Ricky breaches his contract, we get his signing bonus back, including bonus money that New Orleans paid him." That's brilliant! And, now we find out that the contract included another clause that said, "If Ricky breaches his contract, his base salary reverts to what it was in New Orleans, the league minimum." Again, brilliant! Seriously, if Spielman was even partly responsible for those clauses, you have to give him a lot of credit.

Brilliant? Thats standard contract procedures in the NFL. Spielman or Wanny didnt do anything genius.

Saban has already interviewed replacements for him, so Im sure hes gone sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom