Spin And Narrative To Shape Public Opinion And Shift Focus | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spin And Narrative To Shape Public Opinion And Shift Focus

JTech194

Starter
Reaction score
We've heard a lot from the team about culture, lack of studying and lack of leadership as it relates to the moves that were made. I think about that and it doesn't really make sense to me so it causes me to think more and here's my theory

Outside of the Ajayi move, I think all of the other moves had very little to do with "Culture, Leadership, Study Habits" and everything to do with Finances...

Quickly here's why I think that.

Landry - Had the most targets and catches on the team.... if he doesn't know where to go and is running the wrong routes... Why is the coach calling so many plays for him? Why wasn't he benched? Why would you (allegedly) offer him 13 million a season? They didn't want to pay him what they knew he'd get on the open market so they let him walk and I'm ok with that, but this is Financial

Suh - They Didn't want to pay a DT that much money for minimal impact to the overall defense. Financial

Pouncy - Asked him to take a pay cut, had he accepted he'd probably still be here. If he's a culture problem now, wouldn't he be more of a problem making less money? Financial

So this begs the question..... Why are they trying to sell us this culture\study habits\leadership crap?

My opinion.... Because it shifts the blame and focus onto the players and AWAY FROM THE COACHES AND MANAGEMENT!!! If everyone is looking at the players and what they did wrong, then no one is looking at what the coaches and management did wrong.

So the question I have is, do you think pro sports teams say things in public or leak things to the media to shape public perception to serve an agenda in general? And more specifically to shift the focus towards the players so that the organization doesn't look bad in the public's eyes?

Honestly, I'm not caring too much about who to blame for what, but of course, what you wrote is largely true. They have an entire PR department to make sure public perception is high. This is one of the reasons the team is always connected to schools, churches and charities etc. I'm all about product on the field right now. I'm super eager to see Tannehill come out and play some Football already!!!!!!!

The short answer is Yes.

The long answer is Yes, no doubt.

We've heard a lot from the team about culture, lack of studying and lack of leadership as it relates to the moves that were made. I think about that and it doesn't really make sense to me so it causes me to think more and here's my theory

Outside of the Ajayi move, I think all of the other moves had very little to do with "Culture, Leadership, Study Habits" and everything to do with Finances...

Quickly here's why I think that.

Landry - Had the most targets and catches on the team.... if he doesn't know where to go and is running the wrong routes... Why is the coach calling so many plays for him? Why wasn't he benched? Why would you (allegedly) offer him 13 million a season? They didn't want to pay him what they knew he'd get on the open market so they let him walk and I'm ok with that, but this is Financial

Suh - They Didn't want to pay a DT that much money for minimal impact to the overall defense. Financial

Pouncy - Asked him to take a pay cut, had he accepted he'd probably still be here. If he's a culture problem now, wouldn't he be more of a problem making less money? Financial

So this begs the question..... Why are they trying to sell us this culture\study habits\leadership crap?

My opinion.... Because it shifts the blame and focus onto the players and AWAY FROM THE COACHES AND MANAGEMENT!!! If everyone is looking at the players and what they did wrong, then no one is looking at what the coaches and management did wrong.

So the question I have is, do you think pro sports teams say things in public or leak things to the media to shape public perception to serve an agenda in general? And more specifically to shift the focus towards the players so that the organization doesn't look bad in the public's eyes?

I'm going to focus on one sentence . . . "do you think pro sports teams say things in public or leak things to the media to shape public perception to serve an agenda" and tweak it a little. "do you think humans say things in public or leak things to the friends to shape public perception to serve an agenda?"

Yup. Every living breathing adult human, whether they admit it or not. The flip side, in your scenario, is we can substitute "pro sports teams" for "media" and "fans" for "media" and be right. Part of it is acceptable - not wanting to embarrass a player. Part is hiding intentions from other teams. That said, I DO think moves were made due to culture (e.g., bad calls by Pouncey frustrated OLmen) and study habits (e.g., Landry). And, NOT for the media, was 'Landry can be an uncontrolled hothead and thinks HE knows the best routes. (culture?)' So, IMO, some moves were culture and study habits, but not expressed in the media. At least, not directly. There WERE reports (leaks?) of Landry's study habits, of Pouncey wanting a raise, of Suh free-lancing (i.e., guessing).

I'm NOT arguing none of the three were financial - I think finances were a part of all three. OTOH, I think "culture, leadership, and study habits" were part of the mix also. I don't see 'yes' or 'no.'

If what you’re saying is true then they took talent away from the team as to deflect blame from a 6-10 team and is now at risk at being worse than last year bc of said gutting of their best players.

Not saying it’s guaranteed but that’s is ballsy if true.

Part of it was financial especially Suh, but I think Gase was sick of the whole bunch of them especially Ajayi and Landry. The FO knew Landry was not going to accept a deal paying him 13 mill a season and they played on that, they could now come out and say we simply couldn't afford him, but landry's antics and that little blow up at the coach on the sidelines that was downplayed, all played a part in wanting to get rid of him. Ajayi was the same thing, whether it was his consistent complaining, or not blocking the right guy or not blocking at all for that matter, was the straw that broke the camels back in wanting to get rid of both of them.

What surprises me, is that some of you guys aren't listening, Gase told us this was going to happen, from study habits, to wanting leaders, to being embarrassed, to players having to play for their jobs....it was all there right in front of us, we just couldn't believe he would go through with it.

You've whined about this in other threads, did you have to actually start another one.

I'm going to focus on one sentence . . . "do you think pro sports teams say things in public or leak things to the media to shape public perception to serve an agenda" and tweak it a little. "do you think humans say things in public or leak things to the friends to shape public perception to serve an agenda?"

Yup. Every living breathing adult human, whether they admit it or not. The flip side, in your scenario, is we can substitute "pro sports teams" for "media" and "fans" for "media" and be right. Part of it is acceptable - not wanting to embarrass a player. Part is hiding intentions from other teams. That said, I DO think moves were made due to culture (e.g., bad calls by Pouncey frustrated OLmen) and study habits (e.g., Landry). And, NOT for the media, was 'Landry can be an uncontrolled hothead and thinks HE knows the best routes. (culture?)' So, IMO, some moves were culture and study habits, but not expressed in the media. At least, not directly. There WERE reports (leaks?) of Landry's study habits, of Pouncey wanting a raise, of Suh free-lancing (i.e., guessing).

I'm NOT arguing none of the three were financial - I think finances were a part of all three. OTOH, I think "culture, leadership, and study habits" were part of the mix also. I don't see 'yes' or 'no.'

The only move I think was due to culture was the Ajayi move because financially it didn't make sense to trade him.

But I'm not buying the "Poor Study habits" narrative with Landry and here's why.... If Landry had poor study habits... why not bench him? What would you call plays targeted at him way more than the guys that are studying the right way? And most importantly .... why would you turn around and offer that guy 13 million dollars a season (Allegedly) Too many factors that contradict what they're saying and this is why I think it was purely financial.

With Pouncy.. if he had agreed to take that paycut they so called offered him, he'd still be here. If he was a bad culture fit last year, what would he have been next year making more money?

Suh, his production was fine... still one of the best DT's in the league. Management just realized that adding the best DT in the league will NOT fix their defensive problems so paying 20 million just didn't make sense. All Financial.

All teams get rid of players and get new ones.

No one is arguing that... Ball teams don't get rid of their best players in one season. A move like that will surely bring public ridicule and backlash from the fans, No organization wants to use the word rebuild in public and will try and sell the fans all types of alternatives to avoid using the term. Most fans don't want to hear that you're getting rid of most of the players they pay to see for financial reasons. (See Marlins) so I could see management getting together before the moves and asking themselves "How can we spin this"?

You've whined about this in other threads, did you have to actually start another one.

Apparently you don't know the difference between whining and having a discussion on a forum with people that are passionate about the same team. If you don't want to add to the discussion with an opinion feel free to remove yourself from this thread and ignore any other thread that I start. SMDH sheesh.

Part of it was financial especially Suh, but I think Gase was sick of the whole bunch of them especially Ajayi and Landry. The FO knew Landry was not going to accept a deal paying him 13 mill a season and they played on that, they could now come out and say we simply couldn't afford him, but landry's antics and that little blow up at the coach on the sidelines that was downplayed, all played a part in wanting to get rid of him. Ajayi was the same thing, whether it was his consistent complaining, or not blocking the right guy or not blocking at all for that matter, was the straw that broke the camels back in wanting to get rid of both of them.

What surprises me, is that some of you guys aren't listening, Gase told us this was going to happen, from study habits, to wanting leaders, to being embarrassed, to players having to play for their jobs....it was all there right in front of us, we just couldn't believe he would go through with it.

But my general point is.... if they truly don't want to sign a player for non-financial reasons..... why offer him a contract at all? Is that really smart? What if the player calls their bluff and accepts the offer? Now you're stuck with a player that you don't want and paying him 13million.

I don't think the landry issue was culture, the evidence points to financial reasons... again which is fine and I'm cool with. But why the charade? I think if they had come out and said... hey, we had 13 million in mind, he had 16 we wish him the best. Period. Pointing out a players flaws will only make fans and other people like me question those comments.

Pro teams are by necessity obsessed with their "image" and of course pay peeps big $$$ to create the narrative they want the public to consume.

Big time propaganda

Back
Top Bottom