Spin And Narrative To Shape Public Opinion And Shift Focus | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spin And Narrative To Shape Public Opinion And Shift Focus

Not attributed quotes but reporting:

First an excerpt from a recent "Chambers Files" in the VIP

"...When Laremy Tunsil was struggling Mike offered to watch film with him and Laremy said no thanks... mostly because Mike never did that before, and Laremy saw that has a pity gesture towards him when he was struggling rather than a chance to improve. Now Laremy did start watching film with Ja'Waun when he got hurt..."

This second piece is from Armando yesterday

"...Amid coach firings, and losing, Suh would try to have player meetings and the reaction from some teammates were eye-rolls because they didn't consider him their leader..."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article208684269.html#storylink=cpy

I should not have said "quotes" but these are from teammates
Thanks, interesting the guys offered to help but were rejected. While I will state up front I do not have links, I read during the season that Suh was making efforts to coach up Phillips and others this past season and Laundrys extra efforts during games inspired his teammates. Its like reading two different stories out of the same book. Well the next chapter in Gases novel is about to be written so that should tell us by this time next year whats going on.

It is my belief that it was a culture, learning thing. Too many times last season did Gase speak about a lack of understanding of the playbook, or a lack of wanting to learn the playbook. He mentioned going home and letting it sink in, etc.

Gase came in and was given a team. He tried to make a great meal with other people's choice of ingredients. After 2017, I believe he was done with that, and told the FO he wants his guys.

Thomas was his guy and it didn't work out. He brought Cutler in, but I think that was a move of calculated desperation.

I agree with the theory but pouncey wasn’t offered a pay cut. He was just let go. While all the big names that we got rid of are above average at their positions, none are true difference makers which is apparent based on the results. It is not savvy to pay big money to non difference makers. All the players that we let go are easily replaceable.

I agree with the theory but pouncey wasn’t offered a pay cut. He was just let go. While all the big names that we got rid of are above average at their positions, none are true difference makers which is apparent based on the results. It is not savvy to pay big money to non difference makers. All the players that we let go are easily replaceable.
They tried to re-structure pounceys contract and he said no and asked to be let go.

Let's assume Player A is an all-pro who "goes against team culture" in a non-major way

Let's assume Player A will play for free

Do we cut Player A for culture? No.

My point is, every move, culture-related or otherwise, has financial implications. This is a business. Gase can make smart business decisions and change the culture at the same time, which is what he's doing now.

I think it's way more simple- finances, yes, but:
Finances vs. value to team and production.
You don't mind paying a player big $$ if it makes sense and he produces(Wake) and he fits the team needs.
You don't want to pay a guy big money who does not.
We aren't the only team doing this- Dallas just did it with Dez. Money paid doesn't match production, so he's released.
With a salary cap this is standard procedure, I believe. I don't see it as anything more than, we are paying Pouncey too much for what he brings to the team. So we release him. Jarvis wants too much for the role he will play with the team. We don't resign him. We all knew from day 1 Suh's contract was crazy. Then we gripe when we get out of it(I understand how good of a player he is, but he never once, that I recall, changed a single game with his play) So his value to the team isn't worth that contract, thus the release.
I don't think there is some evil plan to make this team suck. I just think they've finally decided to give contracts that reflect the value of a player to the team. And I think this is Gase's doing, and I think Tannenbaum and Grier are working with him to do that. I don't think any of them are gone after this year. It's a change in philosophy, and a total reboot for this team. I think NEXT year is the telling year. If we improve this year, let's say 8-8 or even 9-7, show progress, it'll show we are headed in the right direction and Ross will be OK. If we totally tank, like 4-12, then maybe, but I still think they get another year. That 4-12 would depend a lot on what happens at the QB spot, I believe.

We've heard a lot from the team about culture, lack of studying and lack of leadership as it relates to the moves that were made. I think about that and it doesn't really make sense to me so it causes me to think more and here's my theory

Outside of the Ajayi move, I think all of the other moves had very little to do with "Culture, Leadership, Study Habits" and everything to do with Finances...

Quickly here's why I think that.

Landry - Had the most targets and catches on the team.... if he doesn't know where to go and is running the wrong routes... Why is the coach calling so many plays for him? Why wasn't he benched? Why would you (allegedly) offer him 13 million a season? They didn't want to pay him what they knew he'd get on the open market so they let him walk and I'm ok with that, but this is Financial

Suh - They Didn't want to pay a DT that much money for minimal impact to the overall defense. Financial

Pouncy - Asked him to take a pay cut, had he accepted he'd probably still be here. If he's a culture problem now, wouldn't he be more of a problem making less money? Financial

So this begs the question..... Why are they trying to sell us this culture\study habits\leadership crap?

My opinion.... Because it shifts the blame and focus onto the players and AWAY FROM THE COACHES AND MANAGEMENT!!! If everyone is looking at the players and what they did wrong, then no one is looking at what the coaches and management did wrong.

So the question I have is, do you think pro sports teams say things in public or leak things to the media to shape public perception to serve an agenda in general? And more specifically to shift the focus towards the players so that the organization doesn't look bad in the public's eyes?

Why does it have to be completely one reason? Everyone knows financial aspects were involved but its a combination of the culture change AND financial reasons. Gase would obviously keep these guys if they came cheaper there is no doubt in my mind because they are talented players but he also may have paid them more if they created a better culture. I can't go into details about certain things because that wouldn't be fair to people who paid the VIP but all of these players had culture reasons behind being let go combined with the financial reasons. It's well known that Landry's study habits weren't there and that he struggled with the playbook and route concepts but its possible that if he worked harder off the field and was more of a mentor to the young guys that he would have gotten the money he wanted from Miami. Obviously miami didnt think these guys were worth it financially, but a big reason they weren't worth it financially was because of the "culture change". Also, don't ignore the guys they brought in who are all clear evidence of Gase promoting this culture change. Every single guy is known as a hard worker and high character guy.

Back
Top Bottom