Sports Bahr is lovin' on the Phins

PhinPhan1227

Why is there a watermelon there?
Reaction score
What's on tap
Playoff shuffle
June 18, 2003 Print it

Archived Sports Bahr

By now, you probably have noticed that our Preseason Countdown is up and running on the site. Because this is the one quiet period for the NFL, we like to provide some early previews for the upcoming season. Another trend during this time of the year is that fans of all teams have very high expectations, and that confidence often results in plenty of emails loaded with outrageous smack talk.

Because we haven't even reached training camp time yet, there still is plenty of change to come. However, it never is too early to start making some predictions. So, what I want to do today is make some postseason prognostications. Which playoff team from last season is most likely to fall short of the postseason this time? And which team that missed the playoffs last season will get there this season?

Going down: Unfortunately, I think it will be the Jets, one of last season's most exciting young teams. New York has lost a lot of talent this offseason, most of it to the Redskins, whom the Jets face in Week 1. I think Chad Pennington has a bright future, but losing Laveranues Coles will hurt him, especially early. That, in turn, will hurt the running game. And it also doesn't help that the Jets play in the always-tough AFC East, where the other three teams all have improved this offseason.

Coming up: Look for the Dolphins to grab the Jets' playoff spot. To be honest, I still am not sure how Miami didn't reach the postseason last season, but that Week 17 action was amazing. With the addition of Junior Seau, a very good defense gets even better. Ricky Williams should be dominating again, and although Jay Fiedler isn't spectacular, he is good enough to get the job done. After falling short last season, despite being loaded with talent, Miami has all of the motivation in the world.

Other teams that also are likely to find themselves back in the postseason include the Patriots, Rams and Chiefs, but I feel the most strongly about the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom