Sports Buzz Dolphins Draft Tidbits | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Buzz Dolphins Draft Tidbits

jim1

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
ESPN’s Todd McShay was asked by Steve Levy on SportsCenter on Wednesday night if he’s mocking Missouri quarterback Drew Lock to the Dolphins at No. 13 simply because Miami needs a quarterback or because Lock is genuinely worthy of being picked that high.

McShay said it’s more of a case of Lock now being a worthy mid first-round pick.

Lock “has great mobility and arm strength, even though he needs some work with mechanics and ball placement,” McShay said. “He’s a guy that could develop into a big-time player. He has tools that I don’t know anyone else in this quarterback class has.”

NBC’s Chris Simms offered this take on Lock: “Yeah, there’s some dumb interceptions every game. But he wasn’t afforded the luxury of going, ‘Well, I don’t have to take a chance here, I can punt it and my defense will hold them.’ Those are the things Dwayne Haskins was afforded.

“He has a special arm like a Patrick Mahomes, like a Baker Mayfield, like an Aaron Rodgers. I’m not saying it’s that powerful. But... he’s a natural, gifted thrower. I really like Drew Lock. He’s NFL ready right now.”

Quick stuff: Easton Stick, a talented draft-eligible quarterback from North Dakota State, has been on Miami’s radar for a while. The Dolphins sent a scout to watch him in August practices...

Among players being linked to Miami in the second round: Oklahoma guard Dru Samia; draftscout.com has him as Miami’s second-round pick at 48. “A big, physical and agile pile mover, Samia would fit the style of play that new head coach Brian Flores would like to implement, while boosting the run game immediately,” NFL Draft Scout said.... Others at need positions listed in the Dolphins’ second-round range (between 44 and 50) in that mock draft include Temple cornerback Rock Ya-Sin, Louisiana Tech defensive end Jaylon Ferguson and Notre Dame defensive tackle Jerry Tillery....

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article226512285.html

NBC’s Chris Simms offered this take on Lock: “Yeah, there’s some dumb interceptions every game. But he wasn’t afforded the luxury of going, ‘Well, I don’t have to take a chance here, I can punt it and my defense will hold them.’

The problem with this piece is that some dumb interceptions every game doesn't even begin to describe the negatives with Drew Lock. He routinely throws the ball behind his receivers on crossing routes. Doesn't pull the trigger on wide open slants. Processes the game at a slow pace. Drifts straight back against pressure. It's overlooking a whole barrel full of concerns and only focusing on physical tools. It's one way to look at it. But I don't think it paints the entire picture.

Furthermore, it's not like he was playing with Jordan Ta'amu's defense at Ole Miss. Or Kyler Murray's defense at Oklahoma. Missouri's defense was middle of the pack in the SEC in terms of points per game.

4th in the SEC in rushing defense. Middle of the pack in total defense. Middle of the pack in turnover margin, sacks, and TFL's.

Top 25 in the country in 3rd down conversions allowed.

The only two areas even of concern for Missouri's defense were passing defense and red zone conversion percentage.

Ohio St.'s scoring defense ranked 50th in the country - tied exactly with Missouri. Ohio St.'s rushing defense ranked 37 spots worse than Missouri's.

Ohio St's passing defense was barely inside the top 100 nationally. In total defense Ohio St. ranked 10 spots worse than Missouri.

You can't just buy the crap every person with a microphone and a talk show says.

Falling in love with Drew Lock just seems like classic falling in love with the big arm player.

Yeah there's a place for this guy in your dice-rolls but still...

Falling in love with Drew Lock just seems like classic falling in love with the big arm player.

It is such a roll the dice move. Honestly, if Miami misses on Murray and Haskins, which looks likely, your guy Stick in the 3rd would make more sense to me. Sounds like Miami is interested in Stick as well.

They mention Easton Stick as a target for the Dolphins and you're not going to toot your own horn at all?

Lol at the Missouri - Ohio State defense comparison. Haskins had to carry the entire team all year and never made the bad throws Lock did. For the analysts that think they are close- thats not correct.
Alot of scouts are not sold on Lock and the Fins need to get a stud DL or OL at 13.

What are the opinions on Tyrell Jackson? Anyone know what's beyond the tape? Intangibles, football IQ, leadership etc.

Michael Sam's combine crotch bulge is still the most impressive thing to come out of Mizzou. I'm totally unimpressed

Back
Top Bottom