Sports Illustrated Predicts A 3-13 Season For The Miami Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports Illustrated Predicts A 3-13 Season For The Miami Dolphins

Who is this right tackle you want us to claim to make the oline elite?
We signed Jordan mills, that should have made the “spend spend spend” crowd happy.... oh he’s not very good?? Yeah no one else is going to be a huge upgrade either that is still out there

I said 4-12 as my "pre-training camp" forecast.

I'll revise once we've lived through preseason.

But if it was a game or two either way, that wouldn't qualify as shocking.

4-12 or 5-11 is, I think, the most realistic. Personally, I’d like to see us split with the rest of the ACFE (especially Week 2) and beat the Giants. As long as I see a solid foundation and plan going forward, I’m happy.

We were in the playoff hunt until the very end last season despite bad coaching, alot of the same players, and a team that completely quit on it's head coach for the last 3 games.
I just don't see a massive loss of talent between this year's roster and last year's. Factor in better coaching and I think we'll be closer to 8 wins than 3.

I think that's a little bit dishonest. Miami may have been alive "mathematically" for the playoffs longer than they should've have been due to a fluke win over the Patriots - a game in which even Brady blew off as a fluke - but they were nowhere near a playoff caliber team.

Miami lost by an average of 17.5 points in the other 4 games against AFC teams that made the playoffs. They would've been a sacrificial lamb as usual had they managed to get in.

Reminds me a little bit of the Michigan St. fans in 2015 when they were one of the 4 teams selected to be in the College Football Playoff. They managed to get in the playoff due to splitting the Big-10 East crown with Ohio St. - but had a fluke head to head win over the better team in Ohio St. and went on to defeat Wisconsin in the Big-10 Championship Game.

Even Michigan St. fans knew they were really only about top 15 team in the country good. Not top 4 in the country good.

Michigan St. drew Alabama in their first round matchup in the playoff. I remember Spartan fans coming to the Bama boards in the weeks leading up to the game.

I remember one particular Spartan fan said something to the effect of "If we played this Alabama team 10 times, Alabama would win 15 of 'em"....

Spartan fans were honest with themselves. Michigan St. would go on to lose 38-0 to Alabama.

Remember in 2006 SI predicted a Miami/Carolina SB? Miami fell flat on their face that year and SI has been pissed with Miami ever since as far as predictions go lol

I think that's a little bit dishonest. Miami may have been alive "mathematically" for the playoffs longer than they should've have been due to a fluke win over the Patriots - a game in which even Brady blew off as a fluke - but they were nowhere near a playoff caliber team.

Miami lost by an average of 17.5 points in the other 4 games against AFC teams that made the playoffs. They would've been a sacrificial lamb as usual had they managed to get in.

Reminds me a little bit of the Michigan St. fans in 2015 when they were one of the 4 teams selected to be in the College Football Playoff. They managed to get in the playoff due to splitting the Big-10 East crown with Ohio St. - but had a fluke head to head win over the better team in Ohio St. and went on to defeat Wisconsin in the Big-10 Championship Game.

Even Michigan St. fans knew they were really only about top 15 team in the country good. Not top 4 in the country good.

Michigan St. drew Alabama in their first round matchup in the playoff. I remember Spartan fans coming to the Bama boards in the weeks leading up to the game.

I remember one particular Spartan fan said something to the effect of "If we played this Alabama team 10 times, Alabama would win 15 of 'em"....

Spartan fans were honest with themselves. Michigan St. would go on to lose 38-0 to Alabama.
I'm not sure what I said that was dishonest. The team was in the playoff hunt until the week 15 Jags loss. I never claimed we were a Super Bowl caliber team.
My point was that I don't think the personal that departed is significantly better than what replaced it, and I think the coaching, especially on defense, will be much better.
Just my opinion, but I don't think the bottom will drop out like most experts are predicting. I think our streak of 6 - 10 to 10 -6 wins continues. Which puts us right back in the middle where none of us want to be.

I'm not sure what I said that was dishonest. The team was in the playoff hunt until the week 15 Jags loss. I never claimed we were a Super Bowl caliber team.
My point was that I don't think the personal that departed is significantly better than what replaced it, and I think the coaching, especially on defense, will be much better.
Just my opinion, but I don't think the bottom will drop out like most experts are predicting. I think our streak of 6 - 10 to 10 -6 wins continues. Which puts us right back in the middle where none of us want to be.

We can spin this either way. To your point, Miami was in the playoff hunt with what is widely considered an average or worse team, using far too many backups, with an inept coaching staff. Yeah, I get your point. Nonetheless, I'm pessimistic, particularly the 1st 6-8 games.

My point was that I don't think the personal that departed is significantly better than what replaced it
So you think Harris is just as good as Wake and Quinn? Because pass rushing DEs is the 2nd most critical spot on a football team behind only QB. Speaking of QBs, not only has Tannehill not been upgraded, any QB who starts will benefit from the same great OL as last year minus its 2nd best player, who was replaced by...?

Every critical unit on the 2019 roster has been downgraded. If this wasnt done on purpose, Dolphins are ****ed for the better part of the next 5 years...

Let's keep this broad, for now...and let's take aside the QB position altogether.

This was a team that was built over the course of three years to try and win games within an Adam Gase offense and a Matt Burke defense. The front office attempted to specialize the roster in order to accomplish that. Just because they ultimately failed to produce a winning roster, does not mean they failed to specialize the personnel.

On defense, we are switching from a Matt Burke defense to a Brian Flores/Bill Belichick defense. It is a MASSIVE change, at multiple levels of the defense. I suppose it's theoretically possible to make a bigger switch. But it's hard to fathom it happening in real life.

On offense, there's a switch from Mike Martz offense, that had some shades of Josh McDaniels added into it (mostly the use of No Huddle and Hurry Up, which never really caught on in Miami anyway)...to being more of a straight up Josh McDaniels offense centered on the Erhardt-Perkins way of teaching/structuring the play calls. This is a pretty average system change. It shouldn't be considered particularly easy, nor particularly difficult (unlike the defensive switch). What probably exacerbates the switch is the signaling that the team is going to switch to a run-oriented/power/play-action attack. That was very NOT Adam Gase.

In order to lubricate these significant system changes, they drafted/signed....who again? Christian Wilkins and a bunch of scratch-off tickets?

They have the lowest cash payroll in the NFL this year. They did not acquire a load of new personnel in order to try and facilitate the system switches.

On offense, it seems very likely that most of the "starters" at the skill positions (3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE), as well as 4 of the 5 linemen, will be holdovers from the previous regime. And on defense, it seems very likely that 9 of the 11 starters will be holdovers as well.

The newcomers on both sides are mostly rookies (Michael Deiter, Christian Wilkins). Pretty much only two veterans (Dwayne Allen and Eric Rowe) were acquired specifically because their experience level should facilitate the system switches, and neither would be expected to be starters anywhere else.

There's either going to be a serious misfit problem between personnel and system, or there are going to be a bunch of semi-pro caliber players getting real snaps. That's where this is heading. And yeah that kind of does feel like the profile of a team that goes 3-13.

Back
Top Bottom