Sports24/7's first mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sports24/7's first mock

sports24/7

Bleeder of Aqua and Orange
Reaction score
I was bored so I decided to make a mock draft. Here is my mock draft of the first round without trades (except for the ones already done of course). I posted one at fanhome last year and wasn't too far off. This is my first here at finheaven. Rip away guys.

1. San Francisco: Aaron Rogers, QB, Cal- I know everyone has them taking Smith now, but in the end I think its Rogers who they end up with if they keep the pick.

Miami: Alex Smith, QB, Utah- Miami gets the guy they have spent the most time with. He will get a chance to sit the bench for a year, and will then become the face of the Dolphins.

3. Cleveland: Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan- After all of those bad picks for the Browns they play it safe and take the player who many have as the best in the draft.

4. Chicago: Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn- Supposedly they are interested in Cedrick Benson, but Brown is the total package with not a lot of wear and tear on him.

5. Tampa Bay: Mike Williams, WR, USC- Gruden likes Caddy, but Williams potential is unlimited. They end up taking the local kid to team with Clayton for a very good young WR corps.

6. Tennessee: Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami- They get probably the best defensive player in the draft. A big strong defensive back that answered questions about his speed. He is an absolute playmaker in the defensive backfield. The Titans replace one Rolle with another here.

7. Minnesota: Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina- Williamson is underrated IMO. He comes from a system that likes to run the ball so people don't know how good he really can be. Chris Chambers was put in a situation like that at Wisconson. Williamson can absolutely fly and will help to make the Vikes forget about Moss.

8. Arizona: Cedric Benson, RB, Texas- They may end up trading for Henry which would obviously change this pick, but if not they dance in the war room when Benson falls to them.

9. Washington: Adam "Pac Man" Jones, CB, West Virginia- They need a CB to replace Smoot and Jones is a great replacement. He can also return kicks which is an added bonus.

10. Detroit: Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas- Johnson has talent. That is not the issue. He has been knocked for not keeping up the intensity and not taking on blockers. He could end up being an absolute steal here for an improving Detroit team.

11. Dallas: Shawne Merriman, OLB/DE, Maryland- A physical freak. Someone his size should not be that fast. He draws comparisons to Willie McGinest who Parcells drafted when he was at New England.

12. San Diego: Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma- Some may consider this a reach, but Clayton is a very good WR. Last year no one expected Clayton or Evans to go as high as they went either.

13. Houston: Carnel "Cadillac" Williams- He is way too good to slip this far, but with the overload of good RBs in the NFL and in this draft he slides. Houston would probably go after Barron here and I would love to have them taking him, but Williams is too good to pass up.

14. Carolina: Alex Barron, OT, FSU- They move him to the right side and now have two very good very young bookend tackles.

15. Kansas City: Demarcus Ware, DE/OLB, Troy- This guy's stock is soaring. He is another hybrid player and is needed on this defense. They need a CB also, but IMO will give in and trade for Surtain.

16. New Orleans: Thomas Davis, S/OLB, Georgia- This is a guy that could fill a need at either S or OLB for the constantly underachieving Saints.

17. Cincinatti: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn- Another very good CB prospect in this deep and talented crop. Marvin Lewis will love to get a chance to work with this kid.

18. Minnesota: Erasmus James, DE, Wisconson- Might be the most talented DE in the class, but has injury concerns. He is an excellent pass rusher and if healthy will team up with Udeze for a talented young DE unit.

19. St. Louis: Jamaal Brown, OT, Oklahoma- They have Pace signed to a long term deal and now they add the other side to the bookend with Brown.

20. Dallas: Marcus Spears, DE, LSU- Parcells goes D again and gets a pretty darn good player in Spears who could go alot higher than this.

21. Jacksonville: Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan- Supposedly his stock is on the rise. Flip a coin between him and Fabian Washington, and Justin Miller.

22. Baltimore: Travis Johnson, DT, FSU- They would like it if Clayton were here, but the WR class is pretty deep and they could use a D lineman. Johnson is a very good player and could be picked alot higher, but probably won't.

23. Seattle: Fabian Washington, CB, Nebraska- Seattle lost Lucas and could use a CB so yet another CB comes off the board.

24. Green Bay: David Pollack, DE, Georgia- They could go with Campbell here which would really upset Washington, considering they traded into the first to get him. Ultimately they decide they can get another QB in the second and take Pollack who becomes a nice compliment to KGB.

25. Washington: Jason Campbell, QB, Auburn- When this trade was announced the first name that came to my head was Campbell. Now there are rumors that he is who they are indeed after. The Redskins continue the trend of trading into the end of the first to take a rising QB and take a very good QB prospect a little higher than some people thought he would go.

26. New York Jets: Heath Miller, TE, Virginia- Anthony Becht didn't pan out and Miller is a very good TE prospect who can join the TE era in the NFL. They could also use a CB and Justin Miller could be the pick.

27. Atlanta: Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma- Cody strenghens and already good defense.

28. San Diego: Khalif Barnes, OT, Washington- He is a guy I like alot and could turn out to be a very good tackle in the NFL.

29. Indianapolis: Matt Roeth, DE, Iowa- You don't hear alot about Roeth with all of the other DE prospects, but make no mistake, this guy will be a player. He is a nasty type that could team up with Freeney to be a very nice tandem.

30. Pittsburgh: Matt Jones, WR/TE/QB, Arkansas- They had the first slash, the second slash, so now they try for a third. Personally I don' know if all the hype is warranted for this guy and wouldn't take him in the first, but he is ultra athletic and could help out Big Ben in Steel City.

31. Philadelphia: Roddy White, WR, UAB- They need another WR to compliment T.O. because FredEx's game doesnt match his mouth.

32. New England: Justin Miller, CB, Clemson- They obviously need help in their secondary and get it with a very good CB prospect in Miller. Again the football gods smile on the Pats with this guy.

Well, there it is. My projected first round. What do you think?

I don't like your mock because I don't like Smith. :tongue:

Not bad at all. I made one about a week ago similar to this. Go search the threads and you'll find mine.

(I just don't like the Smith pick at #2. I don't feel either of the QB's are worthy of it.)

I know you didn't incorporate trades, so if we did stay at #2 and did not move I'd like either Ronnie Brown or Braylon Edwards.

byroan said:

second that, other than that, its good, I think, lol. I haven't been paying too much attention to EVERYONE's needs this year like every other year, been too busy, so I just pretty much know our situation this time around so I can't comment on wether or not I think your mock is accurate.

IMO, if we take Smith at #2 and he warms the bench, we'll be 4-12 again and in a position to take Leinart next year...which we won't do because we have Smith :|.

HysterikiLL said:
IMO, if we take Smith at #2 and he warms the bench, we'll be 4-12 again and in a position to take Leinart next year...which we won't do because we have Smith :|.
I disagree. Just based on coaching alone we should be improved. We finally will have an offensive system, and will have some sort of running game. I don't see losing more than 9 games next year. But even at 4-12 we probably won't be in position to draft Leinart.

DonShula84 said:
Pretty similar to the mock on nfldraftcountdown. At first glance I thought you might have copied it also. Not a bad mock, but I dont see Caddy dropping that far, and I dont see why Houston would take a RB

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html
This late alot of mock drafts are going to be similar considering how many teams have identified what direction they are looking. There are still alot of differences though between mine and theirs. I also gave analysis though of why I felt they would go there. As far as Cadillac goes, I doubt he will drop that far either, thats just the way it fell out when I drew it up. I do think they'll take him though if he is there. I know they have Davis, but Williams' potential is too much for them to pass up.

Nice job...

I didn't agree with all of your picks, but the unpredictability behind your picks is matched with the effort you put behind them. For that, I congratulate you.

Mock drafts are a shot in the dark. If you nail 7 in the first round, NO MATTER IF 5/7 OF THEM ARE NAILED IN THE TOP 7, it's an accomplishment. Nice job. It made me think.

14. Carolina: Alex Barron, OT, FSU- They move him to the right side and now have two very good very young bookend tackles.

Moving Barron to RT would be an incredible waste. I think Barron goes to the Texans at 13.

byroan said:
Same here. All that matters to me is what we do.

NorFlaFin said:

Moving Barron to RT would be an incredible waste. I think Barron goes to the Texans at 13.
I completely agree about Barron, pretty good mock overall though i don't really want us to take a qb but i prefer smith to rodgers

Back
Top Bottom