Spotlight on Sam Simmons/ Under the Radar: Sam Simmons Spotlighted on NFLHS.CoM | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spotlight on Sam Simmons/ Under the Radar: Sam Simmons Spotlighted on NFLHS.CoM

Under the Radar: Sam Simmons Spotlighted on NFLHS.CoM

I can't believe I stumbled on this but its pretty good...

http://www.nflhs.com/news/playersspotlight/SamSimmons_06022003_sim.asp

The first half of the article is fluff cuz the article's about his high school, but then there's some good nuggets..

Simmons gave two of the top cornerbacks in the AFC all they could handle each time they faced off a year ago. Simmons, a speedy wide receiver, who has timed out at 4.4 in the forty-yard dash this off-season, held his own against veteran Pro-Bowlers Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain every time they faced each other.

Sounds great. But there was one small problem: nobody outside of the Miami Dolphins' training facility was able to see Simmons, a 2002 fifth-round draft choice out of Northwestern, perform.

A former Gatorade Kansas Player of the Year after his senior season at F.L. Schlagle, Simmons spent the entire season on the Dolphins' practice squad.

"Spending last season on the practice squad made me a better football player, and I became a better all-around athlete," said Simmons, married to his high school sweetheart Trina, and the proud father of two beautiful daughters, Talia, 4, and Jada, 2. "Going against guys like Sam (Madison) and Patrick (Surtain) everyday in practice only made me a better (wide) receiver. If you asked those guys, they would say, 'Sam always ran his butt off, and worked hard to make plays.'

"I just wanted to work hard to get better, and I feel that I'm 10 times better now than I was last year. I was blessed to be on the practice squad."

Fresh off a solid performance at the Dolphins’ first official on-field mini-camp this offseason, Simmons is confident that he'll spend this season on Miami's 53-man roster.

"In my eyes, which to be brutally honest doesn't mean much, I had a very successful mini-camp," said Simmons. "I caught 90 percent of the balls thrown my way. I ran good routes. I made plays on the outside, and in the slot.

"I trimmed my body weight down to 197 pounds, and increased my strength. I bench pressed 225 pounds 15 times, which is improved from last season.

Overall, I feel great about the way things are going, and I'm real confident that my chances are good to make the regular roster."

This, is only a portion of the article, btw, so we're not running into legal troubles.

I guess with all the news constantly streaming in about Kendall Newson, Robert Baker, newly signed Chris Jackson, and JR Tolver...we tend to forget about last year's 5th rounder Sam Simmons. I personally had all but penciled him as a camp cut.

But thems some pretty strong words "Simmons gave two of the top cornerbacks in the AFC all they could handle each time they faced off a year ago. Simmons, a speedy wide receiver, who has timed out at 4.4 in the forty-yard dash this off-season, held his own against veteran Pro-Bowlers Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain every time they faced each other."

I wonder what Red Line Editorial is basing that off of, if they know anything we don't. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I want to see this this TC..I don't remember anyone mentioning him in their reports from the mini camps..if he caught 90 percent of his catches, is that out of 5....I hope to see more of him this TC..but I don't think that he makes the 53 man roster, if he was so good, why did Miami sign so many WR's..?????

Competition sounds like a pretty convenient excuse. They really wanna find a guy who surprises us all, becomes the next OG or somethin.

I think it speaks well for all these guys actually, that Dedric was let go and OG not signed back. Means they got a lot of up-and-comers they are confident in...like Baker, Simmons, Newson, Jackson, Tolver, etc.

It's all about competition and bodies. There's always 11-12 WRs in camp. 4-5 QBs, 15-18 OL, 2 Ks, 2 Ps, etc. 80+ guys. You're always looking for competition. But you've also got to have bodies to share the burden of the reps. Otherwise guys would wear their bodies out pretty fast. Especially QBs and Ks/Ps.

I started a thread with a link to this article yesterday and got absolutely no responses. The article came from a link off of NFL.com. My question was why spotlight Sam Simmons? Is this something they do radomly or did someone point them to Sam? Is the FO trying to tell folks to pay attention to him, or maybe it's his agent trying to hype him in anticipation of him being cut?

They are probably trying to hype Simmons up, with the acquisition of Derrius Thompson-he is all i have been hearing about. McKnight is probably worried about Thompson and McMichael should be worried about Battaglia if he doesn't impress the coaches.

Back
Top Bottom