Spragan, not exactly the best choice? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Spragan, not exactly the best choice?

Buddwalk said:
Im beginning to think that since we signed spragan...why did we sign him?

He was semi impressive with denver and i know hes young like 26 or 27 but we could of got a guy like

Tommy Polly who has more upside and talent to succeed

Jamie Sharper, sure fire tackler who just became available

Anthony Simmons...good overall olb dont know why we didnt make any kind of grab at him

Mark Fields who i actually think we need to sign...not want too but just need too, the guys a 4.5 or 4.6 40 lb who plays every play with as much heart as zach thomas and he played hard enough to make the pro bowl last year...

Your Take?
I'm happy with Spragan... he came at a very good price and is an underrated LB with nice size.

Polley is too small, and would've cost more money.

Sharper wasn't available and would be a lot more ex*****ve, he is a mute point.

We don't 'need' Fields, he isn't going to put us over the top and take us to the promised land. He has health concerns, and made the Pro Bowl more on sympathy because of his return from illness. That said, he is a good player and I would like him, but we don't 'need' him. He would also be more expensive.

Simmons, I agree would have been a nice signing, but again, Spragan came cheaper and he is bigger, Saban wants bigger LBs.

Buddwalk said:
greenwood once never impressed me...i also feel junior seau should be cut, i know im gonna be flamed for this but spragan is young on one side if we could get a anthony simmons or a mark fields in seaus spot...we'd be near set on D
I was gutted that Morlon went, although he got paid a ridiculous amount of money. He was extremely solid and had good size and speed. I'll ignore your Seau comment. We have a good young LB called Eddie Moore who is quick and very good in coverage. We don't need to sign every FA going to get to where we ought to be.

finsnchips said:
I'm happy with Spragan... he came at a very good price and is an underrated LB with nice size.

Polley is too small, and would've cost more money.

Sharper wasn't available and would be a lot more ex*****ve, he is a mute point.

We don't 'need' Fields, he isn't going to put us over the top and take us to the promised land. He has health concerns, and made the Pro Bowl more on sympathy because of his return from illness. That said, he is a good player and I would like him, but we don't 'need' him. He would also be more expensive.

Simmons, I agree would have been a nice signing, but again, Spragan came cheaper and he is bigger, Saban wants bigger LBs.

I was gutted that Morlon went, although he got paid a ridiculous amount of money. He was extremely solid and had good size and speed. I'll ignore your Seau comment. We have a good young LB called Eddie Moore who is quick and very good in coverage. We don't need to sign every FA going to get to where we ought to be.

How can you say Polley is too small? He is only 1 inch shorter than Spragan and is heavier than him.

Dolfan2788 said:
How can you say Polley is too small? He is only 1 inch shorter than Spragan and is heavier than him.
fair doos... i'm reading that Spragan is 6'3 240 and Polley is 6'2 233.

though on NFL.com they are the same size... my bad.

Spragan still comes cheaper though.

I wont argue that Polley is probably the better player, but Spragan is what we have, he came at a nice proce and I wanna see what he can do for us.

I agree, with your post, just the Polley too small thing was what I was posting about. Spragan will perform better than Polley anyways I believe. He is very smart and is a good size, I believe he will create a lot of turnovers this coming year.

Never really watched Spragan play but like his size. A healthy Jr is a top 10 OLB. All we need on defense now is DT depth in case our starters cant go. I think he has enough personnel to coach. The offense needs some sparks; a good draft and David Boston's return would be nice.

Saban never said he wanted heavy LBs....by big he meant tall

look at who he went after, Spragan is 6'3, as was Matt Stewart. They aren't heavy guys though. so if we draft a LB, he'll be 6'3 or taller

Buddwalk said:
He was semi impressive with denver and i know hes young like 26 or 27 but we could of got a guy like

Spragan turns 29 this year

I'm shocked that they didnt even sniff around Sedrick Hodge...he was 6'4 and close to 250, and he only resigned with NO for 1 year at the minimum salary.

not to mention that Hodge was only 26, seemed like the perfect Saban LB

Nev_FSU30 said:
Never really watched Spragan play but like his size. A healthy Jr is a top 10 OLB. All we need on defense now is DT depth in case our starters cant go. I think he has enough personnel to coach. The offense needs some sparks; a good draft and David Boston's return would be nice.

Romero and Zgonina are depth at DT , right now..... and i think we will draft a DT, so i think we are good there

finsnchips said:
We have a good young LB called Eddie Moore who is quick and very good in coverage. We don't need to sign every FA going to get to where we ought to be.

I wouldnt be the least bit suprised if players like Moore and Pope are cut, and replaced by undrafted FAs or post June 1st cuts..

they both are very short, and just because they are on the team now does not mean that they'll be there in Sept.

KillerDolphins said:
I think Saban wanted someone cheap who could fill the void well he develops a rookie at that position. I bet he drafts a LB in the late rounds or possibly the first but who knows when they'll get a LB in the draft bottom line is in 2 years spragan wont be there unless he turns into a beast.

I agree. Spragan is a stop gap to fill greenwood's shoes for a cheap price. We need cap room and getting the same level player in that spot for less money was a good move for now. When the cap gets better, we can think about upgrading. At this time, Saban just wants to stop the bleeding, and filled a spot with teh same talent for less $.

Sharper as a Fin would be amazing....if we had the money...which we don't!

I hope Moore wins SLB in TC and stays healthy the whole season, he could be a great playmaker at the position and has great speed aso.

Buddwalk said:
Im beginning to think that since we signed spragan...why did we sign him?

Tommy Polly who has more upside and talent to succeed

Jamie Sharper, sure fire tackler who just became available

Anthony Simmons...good overall olb dont know why we didnt make any kind of grab at him

Mark Fields who i actually think we need to sign...not want too but just need too, the guys a 4.5 or 4.6 40 lb who plays every play with as much heart as zach thomas and he played hard enough to make the pro bowl last year...

Your Take?

And you knew Sharper would become available? You should forward those crystal ball messages on to Nick. While you're at it, let him know which draft picks will be injured and sit out next year or which ones will hold out for a bigger contract, so he's able to avoid those. :lol:

I also believe thinking LB's from the perspective of Wanny's defensive scheme. Saban's thinking LB's that are extremely smart - from the perspective of Saban's defensive scheme; the ability to handle several different schemes and switch around a good bit. Spragan also, most importantly, fits well under the cap for the Dolphins.

Da 'Fins said:
And you knew Sharper would become available? You should forward those crystal ball messages on to Nick. While you're at it, let him know which draft picks will be injured and sit out next year or which ones will hold out for a bigger contract, so he's able to avoid those. :lol:

I also believe thinking LB's from the perspective of Wanny's defensive scheme. Saban's thinking LB's that are extremely smart - from the perspective of Saban's defensive scheme; the ability to handle several different schemes and switch around a good bit. Spragan also, most importantly, fits well under the cap for the Dolphins.

sharper was cut to save cap room...i knew he was gonna be cut

I'm just saying going out and getting spragan is reminding me of the aj feeley deal

we jumped out and got him...when qbs like jeff garcia, kurt warner, and tim couch were available

granted none of them are amazing but there better than feeley

Back
Top Bottom